Getting a Yeti Black Edition.....some questions?

thehulkster699

Hi guys.

Ok, so I've finally decided the RS mk2 is going. I've placed a deposit on a mk3 RS due out next year.

In the meantime, the funds from the mk2 are being used to put a new Black Edition on the drive. So for a while we will be a two-car Skoda family. I'll sell the Occy Blackline next year to go towards the new RS.

Anyway, just a few questions if anyone can help.

1. I'm thinking of getting the black colour........big mistake in terms of keeping looking new?

2. DSG or manual? I've just test driven a Leon Cupra R with the DSG and hated it. However, the Yeti is a different sort of animal which may suit the DSG more?

3. Real world mpg for DSG/ manual? We live in a rural area, no real short runs on nice b-roads.

4. Residuals? Still strong for the Yeti?

Any other info would be greatly received thanks.

• Like 1

My Opinion

1- Wouldnt have a black or white car ever again - keeping clean is a real job ( now if you like cleaning then its not a problem).

2- Personally prefer manual as i like to decide when to change gear. - Suggest you go to a Skoda dealer & see if you can drive any Skoda model with the engine & DSG, then engine with manual and decide. ( its only the engine/ gearbox you are not sure about so model does not matter)

3- You dont say what engine.

4-  Yes as Yeti owners tend to keep their cars, I gave up trying to pick up a 2nd hand model i wanted, ended up trading in 2 x 3 yr old cars for a new Yeti, and got better than i wanted 2nd hand.

You could always forgo the MK3 vRS and use the money to do what Bossfox has done to his Yeti ( well some of it, not the full 500+BHP version)   :D  

There is only one engine option on the Black edition......the 140bhp oil burner?

Also, I do enjoy cleaning cars........but I'm thinking of getting something other than white (both our Blackline and mk2 RS are white) hence me asking the question about black.

Edited by thehulkster699

Skoda seem to be quiet good compared to others with thei optimism of MPG, I am on Skoda number 6, and personally found that if you look at urban  you will be quite close.

The fabia vRS i got better than claimed (+3mpg) the 3x MK1 Octy Diesels i had were within 2mpg, my current 1.8 Yeti is within 4 mpg claimed & SWBO drives it to & from work which is less than 5 miles each way.

A quick scan on Fuelley, or wait for a few 140 diesel owners pop on will give you a better idea.

2- Personally prefer manual as i like to decide when to change gear. - Suggest you go to a Skoda dealer & see if you can drive any Skoda model with the engine & DSG, then engine with manual and decide. ( its only the engine/ gearbox you are not sure about so model does not matter)

If you flick the gear lever to the left you can exercise manual control over the DSG.

Or do as I did and add paddleshift.

Clutch pedals are so last century!

...And up pops a 140 TDI DSG owner.  See signature below.  A big diesel is not ideal for my general motoring (60%-plus is rural short runs) but was essentially a spec choice to handle a big caravan.  DSG is good for the rural stuff, otherwise it would be all stick-stirring.  Motorway stuff gives 40-41 average.  

Edit:  Just done latest records and pleased to find that main road/motorway now showing 44-46 mpg average. That's at nearly 20K miles, so a significant improvement over the last 5K. 

Edited by Brijo

My last Yeti was 140 DSG and I loved the box after a few 'normal' autos. I used to get about 44 and I live in rural Pembrokeshire.

My new 170 DSG is not quite so economical, but it has only done 3,000 miles yet, but averaging 41 so far.

The 140 was quick enough, but the 170 is just that bit nippier!  :bandit:

Mine was in the showroom and available for delivery next day and to some extent I bought it on impulse. I intended buying a Yeti but the next day thing hooked me and reeled me in. Only thing spec wise that was missing that I would have liked was leather seats.

What do I love:-

1. The DSG. It's many years since I had a car you could call an automatic but as far as I'm concerned it makes all the right decisions e.g. dropping a gear or two when going downhill on over-run and it's smooth.

2. The cruise control is brilliant and I find it useful even on smaller roads. The controls on the stalk are well thought out and work for me. I must admit I've had it on once or twice going into a corner when I've felt slightly out of control but a quick dab on the brake puts that right.

3. I have a lot of trouble with my back and neck and the driving position is spot on for me. Comfortable on longer journeys. I like being just that bit higher, helps to see what's happening on the road ahead.

4. I don't have a lot of use for SatNav but the bluetooth works perfectly with my phone.

Downsides:-

1. You will never keep it clean. I tried and at one point I was hosing and wiping down every time I came in when it was wet. Had to stop that because of the ridicule from my neighbours :D

2. My useage is mostly short journeys and just occasional longer ones. I get around 33 to the gallon and the best I've had on a run is 43 so not economical at all really.

I don't know anything about the residual values.

Hi guys.

Ok, so I've finally decided the RS mk2 is going. I've placed a deposit on a mk3 RS due out next year.

In the meantime, the funds from the mk2 are being used to put a new Black Edition on the drive. So for a while we will be a two-car Skoda family. I'll sell the Occy Blackline next year to go towards the new RS.

Anyway, just a few questions if anyone can help.

1. I'm thinking of getting the black colour........big mistake in terms of keeping looking new?

2. DSG or manual? I've just test driven a Leon Cupra R with the DSG and hated it. However, the Yeti is a different sort of animal which may suit the DSG more?

3. Real world mpg for DSG/ manual? We live in a rural area, no real short runs on nice b-roads.

4. Residuals? Still strong for the Yeti?

Any other info would be greatly received thanks.

Do they do a BE in the latest model? I take it you know the 140/170 diesels have been dropped and replaced with a 150PS?

I had a DSG in a Passat TDI and I loved it but I prefer them in sporty/petrol engine cars. I've gone for a manual in my Yeti and it's fine. For me personally a diesel and a manual is a good choice for a car like a Yeti. Also my wife will be driving the Yeti and she doesn't like driving DSGs and autos (Multitronic in my previous A6 Avant) and those fancy push-button hand brakes!

I have a black manual CR170 (mapped) and I love it!!!

Having another black car was ordered with the heart and not the head, when it's clean but its a nightmare its the 5th black car I have owned each time I say never again.

Don't worry too much about the MPG after owning the RS, I had a ST with 320 and the yeti is certainly better than that. 

The Yeti is with it's brick like aerodynamics so its never going to be great I get mid 40's is a good average.

I love the car its the most practical all round car I have ever owned (jack of all trades, master of none), it pulls a horse box, it can turn into a van, The grip is great in bad weather, its really fun to drive in a car not what you would expect for a big car that should be boring.

What about a something like the Monte Carlo ?

• Like 1

Well I must be unusual (when compared with the above posts) because I find my current pearlescent black car doesn't show the dirt any more than my Pacific Blue Yeti did. Plus, whilst my Yeti was manual, I have driven Skodas with DSG boxes and I just did not like their characteristics.

My current car has got a (much maligned these days) torque converter box just as did the one I had on an earlier V40 I owned and I loved them both. Yes, yes, I know all about the increased fuel consumption, slight power loss, etc. etc. but I really couldn't care less about that, I just like the way they perform and drive.

I have a black manual CR170 (mapped) and I love it!!!

Having another black car was ordered with the heart and not the head, when it's clean but its a nightmare its the 5th black car I have owned each time I say never again.

Don't worry too much about the MPG after owning the RS, I had a ST with 320 and the yeti is certainly better than that. 

The Yeti is with it's brick like aerodynamics so its never going to be great I get mid 40's is a good average.

I love the car its the most practical all round car I have ever owned (jack of all trades, master of none), it pulls a horse box, it can turn into a van, The grip is great in bad weather, its really fun to drive in a car not what you would expect for a big car that should be boring.

What about a something like the Monte Carlo ?

Brilliant. Contacting a few dealers on a few red Monte Carlo for sale on Saturday morning when I'm back home.

Much prefer the thought of the 170bhp (like in my Blackline)

The only downside is non of the red Monte's on Autotrader have Satnav...which we wanted.

Glad I could be of help, there was a lovely white one at my dealers I nearly chopped mine in for it, however I decided not to as it didn't have the heated front screen that I love and I would have missed the leather that is a must for the wife and her horse riding. 

I do like the grey ones they sell but I really like the MC in White or Red.

• Like 1

I have the Monte Carlo in white with  a black roof.  I love it!!  My vet said its a 'statement'.  When he retires he's getting one and going to have the end of the Y cut off - it will then be a Veti :clap:  :clap:  Its been through dirty rainwater on the farm and hasn't been washed - still looks good.  Very nippy car and I love sitting high up.

No complaints - yet.  Just found it has a spare tyre, which is a nice thought!! 

I now use the Tom Tom voice only as I find the pictures distracting.  Don't miss a built-in satnav - just another thing to go wrong.

The fixed towbar looks good too.

I've just about bagged me one (Yeti Monte Carlo) Just got to dot the i and cross the t's tomorrow. May even have it by Saturday afternoon.

So excited. Also today I've put my deposit down on a nitrous blue mk3 Focus RS for next year.

Edited by thehulkster699
  • Like 1

Red Yeti Monte Carlo being delivered Thursday this week on a low loader via the dealerships preferred/trusted car transport company.

Over the moon with the deal we got, and although the Monte hasn't got built-in Satnav it ticks every other box for us. Looks like the TomTom can't retire yet though. Lol.

Hoping to get on the upcoming Whitby meet this time.

• 1 year later...

My Opinion

1- Wouldnt have a black or white car ever again - keeping clean is a real job ( now if you like cleaning then its not a problem).

3- You dont say what engine.

4-  Yes as Yeti owners tend to keep their cars, I gave up trying to pick up a 2nd hand model i wanted, ended up trading in 2 x 3 yr old cars for a new Yeti, and got better than i wanted 2nd hand.

You could always forgo the MK3 vRS and use the money to do what Bossfox has done to his Yeti ( well some of it, not the full 500+BHP version)   :D  

+1

I'm confused on the keeping it clean comment.

I agree about black, in fact any high pigment solid colour is labour intensive.

White is fairly good at hiding the dirt, it just changes colour to an off white and you only really notice general road dirt when you wash it and see the dirt running off.

The best colour for hiding dirt seems to be an earthy metallic.Earth matches the dirt and metallic breaks up the surface reflection, which also helps.

Colin.

The absolute best colour for hiding dirt is muscovado.

I only needed to wash it once a month, where's the petrol blue I have now, looks dirty when it's only had a light shower on it.

The new one, arriving any day now, is quartz grey.

I wonder how that will be?