Upgrade to DAB+

Hi,

I am planning to upgrade my Navi/Radio to Columbus DAB+ in Superb II Caravan/Combi.

So far there is/was Bolero radio with two FM antennas - in the read left and right screens, what means there is neither DAB antenna nor the cabling for it.

Regarding this "event " I have some questions/dilemmas.

1)

So I need to add a DAB antenna.

I check a bit and it *looks like* the DAB+ screen antenna is in the upper right corner of the back screen. A horizontal "wire"/"line" like for heating, around 30cm long.

Could someone confirm that that's actually the DAB antenna?

2)

If this is the antenna, I need to add a converter/filter/amplifier which I believe has part number: 7L6 035 552D (3C9 035 552 E?).

Is this the correct part? Does the part (amplifier!) needs additional cabling (like power), or just the DAB antenna cable?

Is this in the end an active DAB antenna?

3)

I need to  bring cable(s) from the Columbus to the the antenna in the rear screen.

I would try w/o completely removing the roof headliner, and I was thinking to do the following:

- push down a bit the headliner in the middle  at the back, so that I have kind of hole - I tried this and was no problem to do it.

- remove the driver or co-driver (=left or right side) pillar A trim (where is better to put the cable on the left or the right side)

- with firm wire  (or similar) try to get from front (from point where pillar trim and the headliner) to the back 'hole" (or the opposite if it is easier), and try to use this wire to get the antenna cable to the back. What makes the problem even more complicated is that there is also a roof window. Besides I fear/wonder if I could make some mess with /damage on the  airbags (of course I would disconnect the electrical power that they can not be activated), but still....

I think that 5m of appropriate FAKRA connectors cable should be long enough.

Or, if this all is too complicated, just simply buy a ~20EUR/USD/GBP DAB antenna on the ebay (http://www.ebay.de/itm/DAB-DAB-Glasklebeantenne-fur-Innenmontage-Fakra-f-aktiv-/391208756882?hash=item5b15dbe692 or http://www.ebay.de/itm/Volkswagen-DAB-DAB-radio-antenna-aerial-VW-RNS-510-315-RCD-510-310-Fakra-Navi-/261861784925?hash=item3cf82dbd5d)  and  put it somewhere (A pillar?)

Comments, information, ideas are more than welcome.

Edited by skob

This may help...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/310299-columbus-issues-dab-replacement/#entry3711601

No need to take down roof lining. But I had to remove one rear side trim to allow the headlining to drop low enough to access the roof aerial.

... else would have kinked the lining.

Dab aerial built into 6R0035501D

Aerial cable length required is just over 5M.

• Like 1

@DCC: thank you for the information and the link

No need to take down roof lining. But I had to remove one rear side trim to allow the headlining to drop low enough to access the roof aerial.
... else would have kinked the lining.

Could  you explain a little bit more how did you remove rear (and front) side trim? Do you have any photo?

Which side  did you use for new cables (driver /co-drive; left /right)? Is it important to choose the proper side?

Edited by skob

Trims are held in place by the usual trim clips.... snap in.

Could be a little difficult if you do not have experience of removing car panel trims. Do a Google search for info.

... or maybe find a Superb workshop manual.

Guess you would route cables down the passenger side.

You can then route the cables over the glove box... you may want to remove this to harness the cables in place.

In my case (RHD UK car) this was the left side.... yours will be the right side in Germany(LHD)

I used a Glass Fibre fish wire to feed cables over the roof lining, like....

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/CABLE-ROD-PULLER-DRAW-STRING-RODS-TOOL-MAINS-WIRE-ELECTRICIAN-SNAKE-FISH-WIRE-/291522624454?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item43e01a3bc6

You need to ensure you keep wiring away from obstructing air bag deployment.

.... Sorry no photos.

From memory...list of the trims I removed for access.

All on passengers side...

Front "A" trim... tie wrap new aerial cables to existing cables.

Rear "C" trim ... the trim from the roof downwards... allows the roof lining to drop a bit.

Front grab handle.

Front rubber door trim... just lower the top section.

Dashboard side trim.

Glove compartment.

Radio trim.

All very easy if you have some experience of trim removal.

• Like 1