S3 Winter wheel / brake sizes

Gizmo

Ok, have ordered a set of Scudo alloys, hopefully they'll come nice and quickly.

In the meantime, I need a set of rubber for them so deciding between

Toyo Snowprox S953 215/55 R17 98 V XL at £90 each

Nokian WR A3 215/55 R17 98 V XL at £94

Nokian WR D4 215/55 R17 98 H XL at £102 each

Any experiences or thoughts?

Leaning towards the Nokian WR A3 at £94 each.

D4’s,

got them on mine and have also run A3 and D3’s before, nothing wrong with any of them TBH they are all impressive.

Thanks, since my posting all prices changed. To the point the A3s went from £94 to £112 a tyre...

So ordered elsewhere and got 4 Nokian WR A3 215/55 R17 98V XL BSW for £388 inc delivery. Lets hope they, and the wheels, arrive in time for my ski holiday.

Ok, have ordered a set of Scudo alloys, hopefully they'll come nice and quickly.

In the meantime, I need a set of rubber for them so deciding between

Toyo Snowprox S953 215/55 R17 98 V XL at £90 each

Nokian WR A3 215/55 R17 98 V XL at £94

Nokian WR D4 215/55 R17 98 H XL at £102 each

Any experiences or thoughts?

Leaning towards the Nokian WR A3 at £94 each.

Either of the Nokians would get my vote. Got D4s on my Yeti.

Well the bad news is Superskoda are having a company holiday... So they won't deal with my wheels until Monday.

Anyone want to take bets on whether I'll have them before my holiday next Friday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

send them an email explaining the urgency. They are pretty good at customer service so if anything could be done I am sure they would, Might cost you some extra p&p but would be worth it??

send them an email explaining the urgency. They are pretty good at customer service so if anything could be done I am sure they would, Might cost you some extra p&p but would be worth it??

Thanks.

Had sent a reply to the email that told me they were on company holiday, asking if they could make shipping the rims a priority on Monday. If they land in the UK Wednesday some time, that's perfect. We'll see what happens.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I have a Superb estate 190 dsg k&l on order and have been reading all the threads on here. I went for the 2 wheel drive to save on fuel and road tax over the 4x4 and then found this thread and some of the videos on winter tyres. I am very impressed by the performance of these and Have been looking for wheels to put on my car for the winter season, in doing so I have found this site. http://www.wheelbasealloys.com/alloy-wheels/skoda/superb/b8/18-inch

They also do a range of tyres both summer and winter when you chose which wheels you want, as a comparison 4x4 is about &1500 over the 2 wheel drive and a set of wheels and tyres from these guys can range from less than £800 to over £1200 depending on the wheels and tyres you choose.

My only problem with buying these in the uk is that if I get them and can stop better 99% of people following me will still hit me coz they can't stop as they will be running summer tyres.

• 3 weeks later...

Quick question

Will my winter alloys on my current S2 fit the S3?

What have you ordered and what winter wheels do you currently have?

99.9% chance they are going to fit (although the tyres will probably not be the correct size)

The S3 uses:

235/45 R18 94W (on 8”x18” ET44 wheels)

Whereas your S2 came out of the factory with 225/40/18” tyres and 7½x18” ET46 wheels

So the wheels will physically fit (they will have 4mm EXTRA clearance on the inside - strut / shock side and will have an extra 8mm clearance to the outside of the wheelarch) but the tyres are the wrong size.

Quick question

Will my winter alloys on my current S2 fit the S3?

IMO, close enough for government work.  The main thing I'd look at is if the 225/40r18 tyres have sufficient load rating.

You should be able to adjust for different speed rating and speedo calibration in the MFD.

• 2 weeks later...

The S3 uses:

235/45 R18 94W (on 8”x18” ET44 wheels)

Whereas your S2 came out of the factory with 225/40/18” tyres and 7½x18” ET46 wheels

So the wheels will physically fit (they will have 4mm EXTRA clearance on the inside - strut / shock side and will have an extra 8mm clearance to the outside of the wheelarch) but the tyres are the wrong size.

Hi Gizmo68,

My winter alloys are 18 8J ET45

Shod with Avon Ice Touring 225/40

Edited by philpix

My winter alloys on my current S2 are 18 8J ET45

Shod with Avon Ice Touring 225/40

Can any member see a problem running them on my S3 when it arrives?

The problem will arise from the fact they are not the approved size.

There is a 4.94% difference between the two sizes, most companies say anything between 2.5 - 3% difference is OK

The 225’s will be 32mm smaller than the OE 235’s

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=235&aspect=45&diameter=18&wheelwidth=8&offset=44&width2=225&aspect2=40&diameter2=18&wheelwidth2=8&offset2=45#content