Smartlink and Google maps

greenstripe

I have a friend who is thinking about getting a Yeti on motability. Is it worth paying extra for smartlink as she would like to be able to use Google maps from her phone, factory fit satnav is a bit too pricey. Question is does it actually work or is it too restricted to be of any use?

I'm don't think I've heard of anyone getting Smartlink enabled in a Yeti yet - has anyone has any joy from their dealer?

you won't. it's a factory fit option apparently/ I know what the bolero/ amundsen says but skoda say it is a factory fit option only

I've got an L&K on order with SmartLink in it.

You might want to check out this recent post I started:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/365430-smartlink-and-android-auto/

I don't think the SmartLink comes as standard on any spec and I read on the FAQ that it can't be added afterwards:

http://www.skoda.co....k-faqs/default/

Also, from what I read using Google Maps on Android Auto actually uses the sat nav of the vehicle, not the phone. This is because the car has an aerial that gets better signal than the phone inside the car. Keeping this in mind, I'm not sure Smart Link with Android Auto would work without car GPS...

Edited by pmajor

Google maps on a smartphone works perfect in every car I've tried it in.
I'm pretty sure Android Auto just mirrors the smartphone display and sound onto the car infotainment system.

I've got an L&K on order with SmartLink in it.

You might want to check out this recent post I started:

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/365430-smartlink-and-android-auto/

I don't think the SmartLink comes as standard on any spec and I read on the FAQ that it can't be added afterwards:

http://www.skoda.co....k-faqs/default/

Also, from what I read using Google Maps on Android Auto actually uses the sat nav of the vehicle, not the phone. This is because the car has an aerial that gets better signal than the phone inside the car. Keeping this in mind, I'm not sure Smart Link with Android Auto would work without car GPS...

not in my car it doesn't. how would the phone connect to the car aerial? I think you've mixed smart link up with the enhanced bluetooth gizmo. 

Basically android auto turns off the phone screen and gives you a much simpler (ie less distracting) interface on the head unit.  Video on the android auto thread in the octavia section if you want to have a look

From Ars Technica:

"Location and speed input comes entirely from the car. The phone's GPS powers down, and Android Auto uses the car's on-board GPS (when available), wheel speed, and compass sensors. This not only saves power on the phone, but it's much more accurate."

http://arstechnica.co.uk/cars/2015/07/android-auto-review-a-beautiful-but-beta-alternative-to-awful-oem-solutions/2/

For clarity I humbly wonder if the two 'Smartlink' topics be merged that way we don't get horribly confuse with threads as this is potentially a monster topic.

For clarity I humbly wonder if the two 'Smartlink' topics be merged that way we don't get horribly confuse with threads as this is potentially a monster topic.

perhaps it should be in the ICE section as you could have it runing for yeto, octavia, fabia, rapid, superb......

I'm still not convinced that you can pass GPS information over USB but short of disconnecting my car's GPS antenna there's no way of me proving that. WOuld be a bit odd for Skoda to sell smart link without sat nav if sat nav was a requirement though

• Like 1

My Sony Ericsson has 'cast link' which I guess the way to mirror link.

No. That's for TV. Android auto is the app you need. Mirror link is added by skoda to the car

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

No. That's for TV. Android auto is the app you need. Mirror link is added by skoda to the car

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

Ahh, thanks for that.

I don't know whether I'd use it anyway.

just to confuse matters further  https://www.androidpit.com/android-auto  suggests that the phone does the work not the car

In that article:

"8 - Android Auto will be able to use in-car hardware
Android Auto runs on your phone, but that doesn’t mean it’s limited to your phone’s hardware. Apps will be able to access the car’s own GPS and GPS antenna (if fitted), steering wheel controls, the sound system, the car’s wheel speed, its compass and any mobile antennas, and there are moves to access car data from the vehicle’s own computer too."

In that article:

"8 - Android Auto will be able to use in-car hardware
Android Auto runs on your phone, but that doesn’t mean it’s limited to your phone’s hardware. Apps will be able to access the car’s own GPS and GPS antenna (if fitted), steering wheel controls, the sound system, the car’s wheel speed, its compass and any mobile antennas, and there are moves to access car data from the vehicle’s own computer too."

who knows :-)  I guess the answer is probably that if the hardware is there it can be used but it is definitely not necessary whichis the point the OP was looking for

Thanks for the replies. I posted a new topic in the Yeti section because I was not entirely sure that their new stereos are the same as the ones fitted in the Octavias - Skoda has confused things by reusing the same names: Swing Bolero Amundsen and Columbus on entirely different products. 

To further confuse things my friend is an iPhone user -she may be swayed in to having an Android phone, but as she doesn't have much money, she gets hand me down phones from friends and family and she's probably getting a iPhone 5S from her sister - Personally I'm Android all the way but that's a totally different discussion