Side mouldings

VAGCF

As per my other thread I shall probably have these fitted at some point.

Can someone tell me if they are just stuck to the doors or do some sort of mechanical fittings need to be fitted. Hopefully the former or I won't bother.

Thanks, Chris

As I can't see another thread...

Do you mean the black plastic rub strips about half way up the door?

If so, stuck on and I don't think there is a single clip to help line them up.

As I can't see another thread...

Do you mean the black plastic rub strips about half way up the door?

If so, stuck on and I don't think there is a single clip to help line them up.

Yes, those are the ones, though in my case I was expecting body coloured ones as per the brochure for my SE L. Great that they are stuck on though, thanks.

Urrell - those with the alloy inserts look good and would go with the other silver bits. Will probably go with OEM Skoda ones (maybe the L&K) though as I don't want to give them any excuse to wriggle out of any paint etc. claims. Am hoping though that the problems with galvanising etc. are now history? :peek:

Edited by VAGCF

Would it be parallel to the sill?.

From top of sill to bottom of moulding mine are 17cm at the front and 18.5cm at the back

• Like 1

You will need a laser level and some Frog tape.

No frog tape needed - the mouldings come with adhesive trim tape already attached.

I swapped my plain black ones for the L&K ones above with the alloy-look (note not real metal) stripe on them.

No frog tape needed - the mouldings come with adhesive trim tape already attached.

Frog tape is not an adhesive its a masking tape, I take it he would mark the right level with that then place the mouldings to it.

• Like 1

I swapped my plain black ones for the L&K ones above with the alloy-look (note not real metal) stripe on them.

Don - are yours OEM L&K ones or ones from SuperSkoda?

Reason I'm asking is that in the brochure it says that the L&K ones have a "chrome ledge" rather than alloy. 

I'd prefer to go with the ones that are likely to be most durable. Is the "alloy" just painted on?

Thanks, Chris

The ones superskoda sell ARE OEM L&K ones.

There is no difference. They are the same parts you'd buy at your local skoda dealer.

The description is simply a matter of someone's interpretation / translation of the part.

The "alloy" is simply a silver painted strip which is recessed into the moulding - as it's recessed it will never make contact with anything and will be durable.

BTW, my name is David, not "Don"!

Sorry David, I obviously picked up on the name in the quote rather than your reply.

Thanks for the information that's really useful. I'd assumed (always dangerous! :)) that the SuperSkoda ones were aftermarket, particularly as theirs are described as "alloy" as opposed to Skoda's "chrome". Skoda are stretching it a bit if they can describe painted on alloy as chrome! 

• 2 weeks later...

David, thanks again, as I picked them up for £32.00 including postage, so bit of a bargain. :clap:

Should be here in a couple of days so will then have to decide whether to do it myself or not - I'm pretty handy and careful and good at measuring so it shouldn't be a problem, but may just get a body shop to do it.

A friend works for a dealer with one and they'd do it in a fraction of the time it would take me! :D

Probably easier for you to do your replacement ones as you had the original ones to put tape up against. 

I didn't have Supaguard but the dealer polished it so that will need to come off - I've heard that Fairy Liquid does the job well?

Any hints and tips will be welcome.

Cheers, Chris

A quick wipe over with an alchohol wipe should clean the surface sufficiently for the tape to adhere - no need to try to scrub away polish.

It's a very strong hold. I've used similar on other painted/polished surfaces with no issue.

• Like 1

I thought the alcohol wipe was to "mop my fevered brow" when I stood back to see they weren't quite level!

I got a friend at the Honda dealership to fit mine on my Tig. He said they used fan heaters to ensure the metal was warm then raised it on the ramp to eye level which made it far easier to put them on straight! The most time consuming bit was getting the doors up to temperature as it was winter when they were fitted.

I have to say I never get mine sprayed to body colour as they may chip an I like the contrasting coloured strip to break up the slab sides of the vehicle.

• Like 1

I thought the alcohol wipe was to "mop my fevered brow" when I stood back to see they weren't quite level!

I got a friend at the Honda dealership to fit mine on my Tig. He said they used fan heaters to ensure the metal was warm then raised it on the ramp to eye level which made it far easier to put them on straight! The most time consuming bit was getting the doors up to temperature as it was winter when they were fitted.

I have to say I never get mine sprayed to body colour as they may chip an I like the contrasting coloured strip to break up the slab sides of the vehicle.

If mine had come with them fitted they would have been in body colour. So in a way I'm glad they didn't come with any for the reason you state.

I wanted the L&K ones anyway as the black will go with the roof bars and the silver with the wheels etc. A better contrast than being painted in body colour.

David - alcohol wipes it is then, if I do them.

• Like 1

Well it's going to be Plan B!

Had already spoken to my friend who said he was going to be at the body shop in September and he said he'd take the car in and get them fitted.

But when the mouldings arrived they have been manufactured at two different times and the texture and colour are slightly different. Two of them which look like later ones have a central ridge inside the back, I guess for extra rigidity?

Wouldn't have been so bad if the two on each side were the same but they aren't.

So in the process of returning them for a refund and then ordering new ones.

Hope you don't get the SAME ones back or the matching pair of the ones you've already got.

No, one's going back are the ones bought off Ebay. New ones will be from a Skoda dealer.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

That looks better!

Glad now that mine didn't come with any. The bare plastic breaks up the expanse of paint and goes with the roof rails.

And the alloy of the L&K ones picks up the colour of the alloys etc.

Just got to get a towing bracket fitted now, but no big hurry.

post-118346-0-09221100-1442850174_thumb.jpg

Edited by VAGCF