Car reliability index

jonjono1

Hi,

Just a bit surprised reading some figures on the car reliability index which score a very high 150 (low is good high is bad) meaning that there are lots of reliability issues mainly with the engine. 47% which is an unusually high weighting.

They don't differentiate between the different engines diesel/petrol.

Any comments on this?

If they don't specify which model and which engine the results are meaningless!

My 140 4x4 diesel is 5 years old, done 95k miles and the only non-consumable thing I have replaced have been the 2 rear springs.

• Like 1

Car reliability index is data from warranty direct based on claims experience over 5 years.

How many claims on the Bently Continental GT to get to 603? 4 times higher than a yeti.

Also if you're going to use that number it comes out much better than Audi and Volvo competitors.

I smell some advertising for warranty direct.

I have seen these results before, highlighting the relative poor reliability of the Yeti engine - however, the 1.2TSI and 2.0 diesels are completely different. Maybe they are both relatively unreliable - but it would be good to know the engine breakdown in these data.

Is this the best data available?.

JD Powers is more about loving the initial experience as opposed to long term reliability from my reading of it.

If they don't specify which model and which engine the results are meaningless!

My 140 4x4 diesel is 5 years old, done 95k miles and the only non-consumable thing I have replaced have been the 2 rear springs.

And there are just so many mechanical variations to make an informed decision if you're looking to buy.

I have a 2012 tdi 4x4 and have never had an issue. It regularly drives Melbourne to Sydney and Sydney to Melbourne. Has never burnt a drop of oil or anything. 65000kms on the clock now.

I have a 2012 tdi 4x4 and have never had an issue. It regularly drives Melbourne to Sydney and Sydney to Melbourne. Has never burnt a drop of oil or anything. 65000kms on the clock now.

That's good, but I certainly should hope so as 'older'(?) owners would regard that as just run in.

Pre the 'emissions' era you would expect a diesel to give a million without a thought - technology has changed all those expectations with a 10 year design life.

That's good, but I certainly should hope so as 'older'(?) owners would regard that as just run in.

Pre the 'emissions' era you would expect a diesel to give a million without a thought - technology has changed all those expectations with a 10 year design life.

Yes you're right if you're talking long haulage miles. Diesels that do mostly short trips have always had reliability problems. Our trucks that do interstate linehaul are always running like clockwork but our short haul local trucks often have issues. But here we're talking about the whole vehicle, not just the engine.

The 2 Toyotas I've owned have both had reliability issues. The Mitsubishi I owned also had a minor reliability issue at the main seal.

^^^the real problem is when a man-in-the-street gets a significant and expensive component needing to be replaced after, say 5years, costing thousands and the trade value has crashed due to new cars getting more advanced and cheaper - what does he do then?.

1/ take a punt that this isn't just the start with resulting negative equity, or

2/ trade up.

There's just so much complexity involved in meeting ever stricter emissions standards, that I see soon new disruptive technologies such as battery for other than heavy regular towing.

Outside of hydrogen fuel cells (including?) the complexity is killing the reciprocating engine, particularly modern diesels.

• Like 1

^^^the real problem is when a man-in-the-street gets a significant and expensive component needing to be replaced after, say 5years, costing thousands and the trade value has crashed due to new cars getting more advanced and cheaper - what does he do then?.

1/ take a punt that this isn't just the start with resulting negative equity, or

2/ trade up.

There's just so much complexity involved in meeting ever stricter emissions standards, that I see soon new disruptive technologies such as battery for other than heavy regular towing.

Outside of hydrogen fuel cells (including?) the complexity is killing the reciprocating engine, particularly modern diesels.

Yeah, that's one reason I bought another diesel now as will probably be my last. Even so, I miss the greater torque of the older diesel engines. I know mine is only the 110PS but it feels very tame.

2 liter 4x4 tdi bought it brand new in 2011 65000 kms on the clock,not one thing has gone wrong so far.Same car as 

Llanigraham has.

Good for you and all other reliable Yeti owners. But unfortunately an individual's experience is irrelevant (as a sample of 1, 2, or even all the readers of this thread) vs "hard" data when it comes to statistics. 

Possible link the OP may have referred to: http://www.reliabilityindex.com/reliability/search/324 which shows mostly engine issues.

Interesting to compare to the QQ which is much better ranked (@71), shows mostly axle / suspension issues, and averages ~£350 vs Yeti's (@152) ~£450 "average repair costs" (not a big deal IMHO) and mostly engine issues.

Interesting that the Freelander (from 06 @139) is slightly better than the Yeti, and Tiguan @172 is worse also with engine issues (and no 1.2 TSi on that car)... Kuga (@95) is good and CR-V (@55) is better though.

Remember this is averaged data. From 1 company, who may have a particular customer profile (fleet? anxious private owner?).

• Like 1