Parts help, please?

ejstubbs

So, having got my Yeti back from the body shop yesterday, today I discover that they've made a right dog's breakfast of the boot floor and the poly boxes (I have the spare wheel).  One problem is that the torx sockets in the plastic plugs that attach the poly boxes to the boot floor are somewhat damaged (I have a strong suspicion that they used a hex bit on them rather than a torx  :swear: ).  Although they are not completely trashed, I'd like to replace them at some point.  The main problem, though is that they have lost the screws that attach the carpeted boot floor to the two poly boxes either side of the spare wheel.  I've tried bodging with a couple of 3mm bolts but they are not at all secure.

The part number of the plastic plug is 5L0853909.  Could some kind person with access to the documentation find out the part number of the screws for attaching the boot floor, please?

If anyone knows a handy online source for these parts, that would also be welcome - it would save me trailing off to my dealer to get them ordered.

Well, a bit of digging online took me to partsbase.org, who advised me that the 5L0853909 part is called a "clip", and the screw is a 4.2mm x 16mm or 22mm socket head.

It looks like skodaparts.com can supply the 5L0853909 parts at only 38p each, which seems reasonable.  However, they want 99p each for the screws which seems a bit steep, given that what you're actually looking at is a No 8 x ⅝" or ¾" self-tapper, so I think I'll source those through eBay.

Does anyone have any experience +ve or -ve with skodaparts.com?

Oh, and I've just realised that the boot light isn't working, which is a real PITA.  I'll have a quick look to see if it's easily fixed, otherwise it's definitely going back to the body shop to get that sorted.

I don't see why you are sourcing parts and part numbers, this looks as though they were damaged by the dealer, from what you have said...

Personally, I would be down there with the service manager, I would ask him to bring a notepad and pen, right that needs replacing...this needs replacing, that needs new clips... the boot light doesn't work ...

Have you got the list, now back to the service desk, I'll bring my diary...

When will the parts be in stock?....

Book the car in a day later and sort it.

Do you need a courtesy car?

What is wrong with that approach?

Don't let the dealer get away with poor service.

It's not a dealer, it's a body shop.  If they've screwed up the parts this time around I don't trust them not to do it again.  For about £10 total material costs for me, it's much less hassle than getting them to do it.  Spending the time and effort to make them do it on a point of principle is not worth it, IMO.  I've already been without the car for a week, and I know from that experience that their idea of a courtesy car stretches the definition of "courtesy" rather thin.

However, the boot light is another matter: I've discovered that the reason it's not working is because it's not connected, and the reason it's not connected is because there's no sign of a power feed anywhere near it.  I assume they must have done something stupid with the wiring when they were swapping out the damaged rear quarter panel and bumper, and replacing the rear light cluster.  Unless it's trivially simple to get behind the interior trim of the boot I think that that issue definitely is serious enough to make me take it back to them - at which point I would raise the other problems at the same time.

There's a decent guide somewhere related to towbar wiring installation. I wouldn't call it trivial, but it's perfectly DIYable.

Of course it brings to question the integrity of the bodyshop, because somebody knowingly installed the light without plugging it in.

Thanks for the pinter.  Unfortunately most of the photos and pdf guides seem to have disappeared since those threads were active.  However, I've read enough to convince me that this is something the body shop are going to have to expend time and effort in fixing, not me.

I'll mention the attachment screws for the boot floor and see if they can manage to do anything intelligent about that issue as well.  The plastic plugs I am going to let ride; they do all still work.  I don't think they're a brilliant design in the first place - I'd probably have trashed them myself sooner or later anyway.

I would certainly be making this whole repair a 'point of principal' and also advising your insurance company if they sent you to a particular body shop. Possibly demand that they cove the cost for it to be inspected and rectified by a Skoda body shop. My concern would be that if you can see such a botch on the surface, what horrors lay beneath!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I had a poke around behind the rear light cluster this afternoon and, lo and behold, there was the boot light power connector peeking out at me from alongside the rear light cluster multi-way cable.  I had a quick poke around but it doesn't seem to be readily possible to furtle it back through to the interior of the boot (apart from anything else there seems to be some sound-deading material, or something like that, packed in there).  So I shall take it back, point out to them what they've done, and see how long they think it will take to fix.

Conclusion of the story: I took the car back to the bodyshop today and they fixed the boot light while I waited (for 45 minutes!)  This was the guy who had done the original repair and so knew how it all fitted together.  Heaven only knows how long it might have taken me.  He did say that he had to remove a number of the inner trim panels in the boot to get the power connector fed through.

Anyway, a satisfactory result in the end.

• Like 1