Yeti folding mirror snapped off

dasower

Have managed to snap off the drivers door folding wing mirror, the whole unit ! (can't say how)

To make safe I dismantled the unit, seemed quite easy (probably not a good idea) any way the wiring is now safe and out of the way.

Looking at the broken part it could be a cheap repair if I can get the bearing post. It looks to be an alloy casting made by Mastercast I think.

The broken part has a number 58228 stamped on it and also an identifier GD-AL231 there are some on Ebay for the Toureg and Audi but they look different.

Anyone know if there is a outlet for this part or an odd one knocking around, possibly in the bottom of someones toolbox ?

Thanks for the replies, the part I am looking for is part of the electric folding mirror on the drivers door, probably the same as the passenger door.

Should be the same as the VW Tiguan. I have a photo of the broken part. Was a bit fiddly to get all the bits out.

Had over the phone estimate for new mirror assembly but have a problem with the price as it could be nearly £300 to replace the unit.

Photo of part required, 

Electric folding mirror pivot

Any help appreciated.

Have a word with the parts department at your local Skoda dealership - Some inconsiderate lorry driver tore the mirror off my Roomster - the metal was broken, but the glass was OK and the plastic cover was OK save for a few scratches (the body coloured part). I was able to get a new mirror base -which came with the wiring loom (mine was ripped out) and I just needed to swap my mirror glass and shell in to it and managed to just unhook the top of the door card without having to remove it completely and plug in the loom and get it refitted. Whole job took about 20 minutes. and cost £56

The Yeti may be similar.

No help to dasower but £300 sounds not to bad. I hate electric folding mirrors and tried to get my Yeti without them after having dameaged the mechanism on my previous X5, it wouldn't fold in or out and would just flop about. The damage happened during the bitterly cold winter a few years ago and the wife decided to try and fold the mirrors in when they were frozen solid. I tried sourcing individual parts unsuccessfully before pricing from bmw, it went something like this...electric, dimming, dipping,££££ please. Puddle light,£££ please, electrochromatic, £££ please. Oh I see you have the blue glass mirrors, £££ please. Do you want it colour coded like the other one on your car? £££ please.

Iirc it was around £660 Inc vat but not the fitting.

No wonder there were stacks of them on fleebay for sale, probably stole from some poor persons x5.

Ho hum, thanks for all the suggestions, spoke with Skoda spares and when asked for a spare part for the door mirror (bearing post) they said they don't sell component parts for door mirrors unless you want the glass or cover. But said they could fit a new one for around £300 depended if anything broke while they were taking things apart.

Anyway being Yorkshire that's too much brass, so looked on "t" web and found Skodasiat breakers in Shaw bout 20 miles from me, gave them a bell and there was drivers door mirror for £130. It had a purple cover so had to dismantle drivers door to swap mirror unit over then swapped the cover for my red one.

Job done.

Since then I have found a bearing post on fleabay for £10 but it is in Istanbul. 

Since then I have found a bearing post on fleabay for £10 but it is in Istanbul.

So, buy it for a tenner,  use it to fix your broken mirror,  and then flog it on eBay for £150.  Simples!

• Like 1

Ho hum, thanks for all the suggestions, spoke with Skoda spares and when asked for a spare part for the door mirror (bearing post) they said they don't sell component parts for door mirrors unless you want the glass or cover. But said they could fit a new one for around £300 depended if anything broke while they were taking things apart.

Anyway being Yorkshire that's too much brass, so looked on "t" web and found Skodasiat breakers in Shaw bout 20 miles from me, gave them a bell and there was drivers door mirror for £130. It had a purple cover so had to dismantle drivers door to swap mirror unit over then swapped the cover for my red one.

Job done.

One of our members is currently working in Istanbul !!