Rear Discs - Falling apart!

So, started to notice a shudder under braking, surprised as the car is only 18 months old, wasn't felt through the steering, so had a look at the rear discs......

discfail.jpg

I wasn't expecting that! The rear disc on the other side isn't much better.

Now, normally discs aren't covered under warranty, but surely they're not meant to do that within 2 years!

Thoughts and opinions of the Briskoda collective welcomed before ringing the dealer....

Niall

Pads are sticking in the sliders and not hitting the disc square. This leads to corrosion and leaves them in a sorry state. Are you light on the brakes by any chance?

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

Should not of happened,  but should not have been allowed to happen.

They are going to say external environmental factors.

ie

Where you stay, what the weather is, what salt is put on the road etc.

You have to say,

You design and build your cars in the Czech Republic, & source the Volkswagen Group Parts from the Parent Company in Germany.

Were weather conditions and road conditions are more extreme than in the South of Scotland / UK.

? How come that was never spotted and dealt with long before now,?

that is ridiculous for how unsafe that car has been on the road!

Looks like a disc from a car found in a scrapyard. Assuming you had it serviced by a dealer at 12 months or 20,000 miles. I fail to see how a problem wasn't found before they got to this stage. Someone hasn't swapped them while you've had it parked up while on holiday or something have they ????

On my old car the same thing happened in about 4 months, over winter. The pads were sticking, the inside face of the discs were worse.

New discs and pads and cleaned up the sliders and all was good.

I tend to be light on the brakes, and often use the gearbox for initial braking. Our yeti started to show signs of heavy rusting on the rear discs. I give them a good check when I change from summers to winters and back again each Equinox.

Now at least once a month I find a quiet bit of road - get up to about 50mph and hit the brakes as hard as I dare.

This seems to keep the discs much cleaner, also gives the Pistons a good workout.

• 3 weeks later...

63 vRS, 27000 miles and almost exactly the same. Skoda have offered 60%. This is clearly not an isolated occurrence. My last mk2 vRS managed 140000 without replacement.......

Not to me but this looks to me like its more than one or two individual cases. Everyone with a car from that period should look at the rear discs and let's force a proper response from Skoda

• 3 weeks later...

So, final update on this, I got an 80% goodwill contribution from the Dealer/SkodaUK, no idea who contributed what towards the total, but consider this a fair outcome and couldn't expect much more in the circumstances.

I've suffered with rusty rear discs years ago, once a week I use a bit of handbrake for 20 seconds or so, when doing a decent speed, downhill with no one behind. seems to keep the rears nice and shiny.

Likewise mine were in a similar condition, I was offered 60%. The dealer mentioned having found the same in a fair few 63 reg vRS, 4x4 and Yeti models. Like Niall I haven't used acid based wheel cleaner and my front discs are perfect. This is a quality issue not a user one. I have done nothing differently, nor driven differently, this than my last vRS (except no 100+ drives, which should have caused greater wear in the last). My last vRS needed new rear discs and pads after 124,000 miles and 4 years. 28,000 miles and under 2 years for this one. Anyone with a similar aged model from the range check your rear discs, there must be more out there and a class complaint to Skoda is needed, with evidence

• Like 1

Without knowing any facts of the case - its very improbable that a cast iron brake disk could be manufactured 'badly' such that its more prone to corrosion than usual. In theory, you could have voids or poor alloying but very unlikely in the post Forth Bridge era!

Think its more likely to be to do with exposure - perhaps the number of days wet and especially salty. The rears are prone to spray and don't heat up enough in use, perhaps, to dry them out.

Would both affected owners be relatively high mileage, Scottish owners, per chance?

Well, I live along the Coast in Northern Norway. My cars have been exposed to quite a bit of salt, both from seaspray and from roadsalt. And Ive never had my discs fall apart like that.

• Like 2

Certainly intriguing - the worst conditions would be warm, salty and wet but its pretty unusual to have all three!

Its difficult to see how much of the disk has gone. Certainly, the pad has fused to the disk, and then there's unequal wear as a result. It looks like the back of the disk is peeling away too (not the stoneguard which is separate).

Perhaps the wheel/suspension design is especially bad for wetting the disk?

The MK3's design is the same across the range.

Disc sizes might change and wheel design, but no model really is leaving the wheels wetter than others.

(some in the past that park at the road side have seen the offside discs worse than others from road spray.

but these Skoda / VW / Seat / Discs can be equally as bad passenger or drivers side.)

Skoda / VW know which Discs from which supplier to which specification in which builds will be those corroding worst in areas around the UK if owners do take action and make sure Dealerships write and submit a report.

After all that is why they are making contributions, and making as few or spending as little as the customers that bought their cars let them off with.

If it was just Winter Salted / Treated roads, or seaside living etc, you might expect cars in Scotland to have the

rustiest discs or just surface corrosion where winter often starts earliest and goes longest

and Salting of roads is at its greatest in the UK, but that is not the case. 

Recently on holiday we had my 56 plate octavia, my dad's 14 plate Yeti and sister's 15 plate Roomster all parked together about 100 yards from the sea. All three cars sat for a week together. At the end of the week the Roomster had a lot more rust on the discs than the Yeti and a bit more than my Octavia. The newer cars have the original discs fitted. Mine has aftermarket rear discs and probably OEM front discs. Mine showed little difference between front and rear.