Rear Discs - Falling apart!

Yeah, just a shame I hand wash the car and don't use wheel cleaner!! Otherwise a sound theory!......

So a bad batch of discs then.

The only time I have seen something similar is with the above, leaving pads to rust on to the discs badly.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

Almost certainly a bad batch. Seems to be autumn 13 registered cars from what the dealer says. I am not from Scotland and I see Niall is from the borders, do Scotland but not the highlands. Salt on roads and the other conditions should not only affect rear discs anyway, should they? This is not something to be explained away by where the owner lives, or how they drive. That Skoda are offering some contributions toward repair shows something, does it not?

Right. So I have lived in the same area for 10 years now. Prior to the Octy 3 which I got in Jan' 14, I had a Mk2 Scout for about 6 years and covered 120,000 miles in it. During that time I replaced the rear discs and pads, once, somewhere north of 100k miles from memory, and therefore around year 5 of ownership.

The car in question is not even two yet and hadn't even gotten to 30,000 miles at the point of disc failure. It has not been driven anywhere I didn't routinely take the Scout nor has it experienced a different climate to the Scout (save the last two winters weren't as harsh as the one's around 2010).

I have never experienced brake disc corrosion like this in 18 years of running a car. Hence my dissatisfaction with the whole thing. someone at Skoda must agree too!

Niall

So, final update on this, I got an 80% goodwill contribution from the Dealer/SkodaUK, no idea who contributed what towards the total, but consider this a fair outcome and couldn't expect much more in the circumstances.

This is the problem with customer service in general, there is clearly an issue with the discs and they offer 80% as a goodwill contribution, well done Skoda dealership you have saved yourself £30 and potentially ****ed the customer off!

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK

The Volkswagen Group way, 

Never ever ever 100%  admit to Manufacturing, Component or Quality Control failures, or as long as you can never acknowledge such things could be possible.

Only offer Goodwill & gestures & a percentage towards parts or labour is the way to deal with any legitimated claim.

that is unless legal proceedings are imminent or Government Agencies in Other World Regions force you to act as a Corporation should.

Almost certainly the same discs, I echo Niall for where I live and my previous experiences with discs. This is not a driver/use issue it is manufacturing, out of interest the hubs on mine still had the paint as for the fronts, there is a real issue here and Skoda/VAG need to admit it. After all brakes are a very serious safety issue

• 2 weeks later...

So, final update on this, I got an 80% goodwill contribution from the Dealer/SkodaUK, no idea who contributed what towards the total, but consider this a fair outcome and couldn't expect much more in the circumstances.

I've only just stumbled on this in a search for Scout posts.  Exactly the same happened to mine which I PXed with the dealer 2 years ago.  Can't remember when I got it new, but its there for anyone to see on the Scout register.

I had informed the dealer earlier that year, but there was never the offer of any warranty or goodwill.  It got massively (almost dangerously?) worse in the final few weeks to the point I was really embarrassed by the noise when returning it to the dealer.  But it became their/Skoda's problem.  My mileage was about 10k p.a.

Place I used to go for MoTs would give you an advisory for scored discs, and a fail for anything that looks remotely like that!

They changed the regs a few years ago and as long as the braking effort is balanced across the axel and the disc is in one piece it won't fail.

Sent from my D5803 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

It's beyond me people would drive a car and with discs in anything like that condition!

Simple. I only removed the wheel when the brakes became abnormally noisy about a week before it was due for PX. Given that the dealer had already been shown the state of the discs I wasn't prepared to pursue the warranty claim in the timescales.

Whilst the noise meant the brakes weren't operating 100% I didn't carry any passengers and was happy to accept the compromise. Similar to the compromise you might have by driving on tyres without full tread depth - you adapt.

It's easy to make statement like yours and with which many would also agree - especially if you don't fully understand the circumstances. I'm sure you didn't mean it that way did you? If so please tell us if you'd spend money on the brakes, the tyres, a solicitor, a hire car or all of these options.

While I meant no offence, I check my discs most weeks, no need to remove the wheel with my rims and I would of noticed such degradation straight away.

My comment was not meant to be offensive, but discs in that condition can't be good, and yes when it comes to things like brakes and tyres, these are areas where I would never skimp, so yes I would of spent the money to fix them. You don't say in your post how long you were driving on these, but if it was longer than a day I would suggest its too long a period, in my opinion. 

• Like 3

So on the basis that the dealer didn't pursue a warranty claim on my behalf (whilst in warranty) and MOT'd the car without issue I have to bow to their superior technical knowledge over mine.

With a change of car on the horizon I elected to change the tyres, fitting new all-seasons.  I didn't consider it necessary to change these again prior to PX despite having been used in the meantime and by deduction - passed their best...

As mentioned, the noise became significant in the week upto PX.  This prompted the wheel removal and inspection to see if anything was trapped, something I did at home. Why go to the dealer 25 miles away when I'm taking the car to them for its final journey to them a few days later. Since it wasn't my only car, or indeed my only form of motor transport (and I've cycled 8 miles to the nearest shop in the last week) so my transport solutions aren't as simple as "his and hers" cars needed on a daily basis.  It's a sparsely populated area unlike the West Midlands, so a different mindset applies to decision making.

I'm sure you get my point by now.  There's a level at which most rational people will accept they'll compromise their otherwise high standards for valid reasons.  If you've ever caught yourself exceeding the speed limit perhaps?  Or indeed  using "would of" instead of "would have"... ;)

Good picture of rust with a brake disc attached to said rust.

I just hope the rest of the car lasts a little better than the brakes you have shown.

Maybe skoda, (by that I refer to vag) as all the cars use the same components need to fit some protective anodes to reduce what's in my eyes excessive corrosion.

• 1 month later...

Just had a service and my front pads AND discs are in need of replacement after 29k (18 months).

My 10 years old Alfa Romeo with more than tripple my milleage was still on its original discs when I got rid of it. Very dissapointed as at this rate I will have to replace again before my PCP is up!

Just had a service and my front pads AND discs are in need of replacement after 29k (18 months).

My 10 years old Alfa Romeo with more than tripple my milleage was still on its original discs when I got rid of it. Very dissapointed as at this rate I will have to replace again before my PCP is up!

Wow! That makes no sense though as the discs should last a few sets of pads, they won't wear at the same rate

Just had my 40k service and mine are 20% worn.

Wow! That makes no sense though as the discs should last a few sets of pads, they won't wear at the same rate

Yeah discs shouldn't be spent after one set of pads! I normally mic mine up to see how bad they are as I've had garages saythey were spent when they had loads of life left. I suppose if you are over half way through the life of a disc when you first change the pads then they wouldn't last a second full set but that sounds excessive for standard road going pads

That's exactly what I thought. Is the 20% wear in your discs or pads?

I'm not surprised I need new pads as I do drive quite hard.

Edited by JamesVRSmk3