Help needed - VRS Problem

sam_W

Evening,

Driving home this morning and went to accelerate and the engine cut out and wouldn’t restart. RAC guy came out and checked over the car and no codes where shown, he took the inlet pipe off and white(ish) smoke came out the pipe. With no inlet pipe (into the throttle bodie/egr valve) the car will start and tick over on idle. As soon as the inlet pipe is put back on the car cuts out like the its being smothered with poor air.

RAC guy suggested to blank off the EGR Pipe, this didn’t work and the car still wont run with the inlet pipe attached.

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what it could be, from my limited knowledge of turbos I think it could be the internal seals within the turbo that’s letting the exhaust gas recirc into the inlet side.

EDIT: I can also see oil on the turbo casing.

Currently at work with limited tools and time so its being recovered to my home (155miles from work) where I can get a better look at it.

Any help would be much appreciated :)

Cheers
Sam

Edited by sam_W

Second hand turbo is £150 plus new gasket set £40 and oil, filters etc. So it can be done for a little over £200 yourself. Its not that difficult to swap over but youll have to clean all the boost pipes and intercooler out as well.

I agree with Stevobeavo - it all depends how handy you are. You can probably just buy the bearings and seals for <£20 or (what I would do) buy a "cassette" if available for about £100+ which changes all but the outer shell and ironwork of the turbo.

Key issue is to remove whatever killed the current tubo - change the oil feed, check the oil drain etc and clean the oil out of the pipes and intercooler etc.

Good luck

Cheers for your replies, I'm going to bite the bullet and buy a new OEM spec turbo.

Any tips for cleaning out the intercooler? or can I just remove and wash it out with water and then dry it?