Updates

Clive smith

I have looked through many topics on the subject of the Bolero radio and the MaxiDot, as you can see from my profile I have a 2011 Yeti, it has a Bolero radio, I went to the updateportal.skoda-auto.com update site and it says there are no updates for my car based on its VIN, here is my question ....

When I go to setup/system on my Bolero I have read that I should see an option like version or firmware, it is not there, also on the MaxiDot I should be able to change the language to rest of world/australia and get a large display of the current speed on the maxiDot, I do not see the rest of world or Australia, is this an update issue ?

When I go to setup/system on my Bolero I have read that I should see an option like version or firmware...

You have to hold the setup button in for a few seconds to get to the service menu where you can then see the firmware version.

See this you tube clip:

Jim

• Like 1

I have looked through many topics on the subject of the Bolero radio and the MaxiDot, as you can see from my profile I have a 2011 Yeti, it has a Bolero radio, I went to the updateportal.skoda-auto.com update site and it says there are no updates for my car based on its VIN, here is my question ....

When I go to setup/system on my Bolero I have read that I should see an option like version or firmware, it is not there, also on the MaxiDot I should be able to change the language to rest of world/australia and get a large display of the current speed on the maxiDot, I do not see the rest of world or Australia, is this an update issue ?

I wanted to do this on mine. I've been into the menu but can't get a large read-out or change it from kph to mph.

I particularly wanted to do this as it's difficult to see the lower speeds in the speedo i.e. on the left unless I lean over a bit. 

I wanted to do this on mine. I've been into the menu but can't get a large read-out or change it from kph to mph.

I particularly wanted to do this as it's difficult to see the lower speeds in the speedo i.e. on the left unless I lean over a bit.

Chaps

Read the post above. YOU NEED VCDS, with that it is very simple to do

Sent from my XT1039 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Thanks everyone,

Looks like I will need to invest in the vcds to sort out the MaxiDot. I want it in kph anyway as it may save me from changing the whole dial, as the idiots at Skoda now only show MPH or KPH on the dial not both.

Thanks Muddyjim, but when I hold the setup down I only get the FM and AM options not the firmware one.

Has ANYBODY ever found any firmware updates on the Skoda site for either the car or infotainment system, I suspect the answer will be no.

It's here: http://updateportal.skoda-auto.com/

No, but i did have the dealer do an update to the 2010 Bolero in my Yeti in order to speed up the SD card reading (and other unnoticeable enhancements).

Looks like I will need to invest in the vcds to sort out the MaxiDot. 

That's an expensive way to get a large digital speed readout in your Yeti.

Your profile does not show where you are in the country, but if you are in Herefordshire / Worcestershire feel free to pop round and I'll sort it out for you for much less than the price of a VCDS cable...

• Like 1

Thanks everyone,

Looks like I will need to invest in the vcds to sort out the MaxiDot. I want it in kph anyway as it may save me from changing the whole dial, as the idiots at Skoda now only show MPH or KPH on the dial not both.

Thanks Muddyjim, but when I hold the setup down I only get the FM and AM options not the firmware one.

It isn't just Skoda or the Yeti that have this so-called "problem". The same instrument set-up is used on other vehicles in the VAG range, such as the Tiguan. 

Personally I've never found it a problem.

That's an expensive way to get a large digital speed readout in your Yeti.

Your profile does not show where you are in the country, but if you are in Herefordshire / Worcestershire feel free to pop round and I'll sort it out for you for much less than the price of a VCDS cable...

Thanks for the offfer, I am living in Spain, I will return to UK for a holiday later in the year, but to the south coast.

It isn't just Skoda or the Yeti that have this so-called "problem". The same instrument set-up is used on other vehicles in the VAG range, such as the Tiguan. 

Personally I've never found it a problem.

It is just another unnecessary expense if I need to change the speedo dial !

No, but i did have the dealer do an update to the 2010 Bolero in my Yeti in order to speed up the SD card reading (and other unnoticeable enhancements).

This being the 2010 Bolero update the existence of which was stoutly denied by my dealer, even when I showed him evidence from this forum that other people had had it done to theirs.

Can I ask which dealer did the update for you?  I'd like to get in touch and ask if they can provide guidance to my dealer (or another one in this area who doesn't believe that he always knows best).  Although there is a workaround which I do use, it bugs me that I'm still stuck with slow SD card reading when a fix does exist.  It ceased to be a technical problem some time ago: it's now a people problem!

In fact, seeing as I do visit the Herefordshire area fairly regularly, I could even ask your dealer if they can do it next time I'm down there.

It was Startin Skoda in Powick (near Worcester).

I asked them to update the Bolero, they said they would look into it, I came back and the 8Gb SD card I had in there read like it should do.

Clive  There are a few people in the South, that have VCDS, that I am sure will help you out when you pop over.

If i may suggest you post before you leave where on the south coast you will be going and a rough date, i am sure a kind Brisky member nearby can arrange to meet you to sort ( prob for the price of 1 or 2 beers ) . 

If you are prepared to wait till you come over :D  

• Like 1

Clive  There are a few people in the South, that have VCDS, that I am sure will help you out when you pop over.

If i may suggest you post before you leave where on the south coast you will be going and a rough date, i am sure a kind Brisky member nearby can arrange to meet you to sort ( prob for the price of 1 or 2 beers ) . 

If you are prepared to wait till you come over :D

Thanks I will do, my main worry is that it will pass the ITV (MOT) with just a small digital display

If it is as Factory then there should be no reason for it to fail.

The large diaplay that is being talked about, I had done on my Octy vRS FL, to clarify exactly what this is:-

There is a setting in the ECU that has to be set =ON, once done then a couple of settings in the MFD will give either MPH or KPH in the large display I know there is a Pinned topic on the site of the MFD setting needed to activate large display once VCDS has been done.

Courtesy of Gizmo68:-

Go to 17-Instruments and look under Coding, then (IIRC) on the first page, there is a drop down list of countries (it will currently be set as UK) change it to Australia, this is all you need VCDS for. 

Then on the car's maxidot go to:

MFD 

SETTINGS
Units

"Consu/distance" change this back to mpg (GB), mi (as it defaults to 1/100km, km), 

then

SETTINGS 
"MFD data" and make sure the box for Digit.speed is ticked 

then

SETTINGS
and unticked the "ALT.speed dis." box (this will remove the KPH speed and replace it with the outside temp  display)

I wonder why Skoda have deemed you have to do this.

In the TT it's just a choice from the menu. Have had the car from new and it's always been available.

I find the large, digital readout so much better when sticking to lower speed limits and where there are average speed cameras etc.

Edited by VAGCF

I would be interested in this especially if you can change the large display from mph to kph, but does this change lose any of the existing MFD items or is it just an additional alternative?

It was Startin Skoda in Powick (near Worcester).

Many thanks for that info KB.  It looks like I'll be heading down that way sometime in the next few weeks so I'll give them a call and see if they can help.

Many thanks for that info KB. It looks like I'll be heading down that way sometime in the next few weeks so I'll give them a call and see if they can help.

Just to clarify as this thread contains two topics, that's the Bolero update Startin Skoda did. Can't say how much they charged as I had other things done at the same time (e.g. Getting the code for the Bolero so I could sell it).

If you want the digital MPH display then PM me and head over to Bromyard and I'll sort that for you.

You have to hold the setup button in for a few seconds to get to the service menu where you can then see the firmware version.

See this you tube clip:

Jim

Earlier Boleros, like the one in my 2010 Yeti, do not have the version option on the 'secret' menu - only the FM and AM status.