Would Adblue put you off another diesel

Sad555

Would AdBlue put you off buying a diesel?  

152 members have voted

1. 1. Would AdBlue put you off buying a diesel?

That is a coincidence! Glad to know I'm not completely crazy then! :) 

Mine does it on fairly light throttle openings as well.

Ryeman - I don't think I've got the same as you in my bog standard 110PS! :)

That is a coincidence! Glad to know I'm not completely crazy then! :) 

Mine does it on fairly light throttle openings as well.

Ryeman - I don't think I've got the same as you in my bog standard 110PS! :)

Probably not.

It's only when I'm proudly hooning. )))......a bit of a first for me but apparently necessary for its long term health.

Our 2010 TT was a 170CR and it was still a hoon to drive! Fitted with a Scorpion exhaust it even sounded nice too.....

Oh yes, I know they go well, but you know what I'm saying. I've said similar before and an owner of a powerful diesel Audi berated me about losing my licence and wanting more power/speed, but he was completely missing the point. It was nothing about wanting more power or speed, it was about the sweetness and wider rev range of the petrol engine, which for me is what sports cars are about, very few of which are diesels. The TT being the notable and successful exception.

My TT is also a roadster (so more reason to be petrol) and is my indulgence since I semi-retired. :D

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 1

A post after that is questioning it.

I don't think they will have the same engines in different models e.g. Yeti and Superb, with one requiring Adblue and the other not?

A perusal of the latest Superb brochure is required methinks.

Before that, I think a glass of red is in order. Yeah, I know it's only mid-week! :)

• Like 2

Well looks like he is right! Skodas web-site and brochure revealed very little but I found this on Honest Johns.

The diesel enginesicon1.png achieve EU6 by virtue of their integrated exhaust manifold (manifold in head). Only the 2.0 litre190PS SCR version needs AdBlue. The economy champ is the 1.6TDI 110 DSG that manages 70.6mpg in the ECDC drive cycle and 105g/km CO2.

Thanks Skoda for lumbering us with old tech (relatively speaking) engines with Adblue when you've got newer engines that can manage without. So much for thinking that these Adblue engines have been fitted in the last of the existing style of Yeti before going in the completely new model. I've said before that Adblue was a bodge, along with the filler in the boot, and this confirms it.

• Like 1

Well looks like he is right! Skodas web-site and brochure revealed very little but I found this on Honest Johns.

The diesel enginesicon1.png achieve EU6 by virtue of their integrated exhaust manifold (manifold in head). Only the 2.0 litre190PS SCR version needs AdBlue. The economy champ is the 1.6TDI 110 DSG that manages 70.6mpg in the ECDC drive cycle and 105g/km CO2.

Thanks Skoda for lumbering us with old tech (relatively speaking) engines with Adblue when you've got newer engines that can manage without. So much for thinking that these Adblue engines have been fitted in the last of the existing style of Yeti before going in the completely new model. I've said before that Adblue was a bodge, along with the filler in the boot, and this confirms it.

What "new" engines have Skoda got that do not require Adblue?

It appears the new Tdi 150 and Tsi engines do not require adblue,(Octavia vRS Hatch

New more powerful Octavia vRS

Innovative technology and aggressive styling

All new TSI and TDI engines​)Skoda wording on the release of the NEW Octavia.

I've always thought that VAG employs the trickle down method for its distribution of tech.....it gets there eventually .

And judging by modern tech complexity, no bad thing AFAIC.

Edited by Ryeman

Am I mad in imagining a future world where there is only one automotive hydrocarbon fuel on sale, somewhere 1/2 way between petrol and diesel, and cunning electronics and stratified charge technology and variable compression and spark plugs (or a re-invented hot plug) burn this fuel efficiently.

Perhaps with different technology being applicable to heavy haulage engines to that applicable to light duty commuter engines.

Come to think of it the American Military with ALL vehicles and planes running on JP8(=glorifed Kero/parriffin) must be nearly there?

Marcus

Interesting that whilst the 1.6 tdi was dropped from the Yeti and replaced according to the sales guy, with the 2.0 tdi 110PS, because it was more efficient, that a 1.6 is available in the Superb and with more power; 120PS.

That along with the new 150PS tdi (neither of which need Adblue) reinforces my view that the current/final version of the Yeti before the completely new model comes out has drawn the short straw as far as engines are concerned. I guess that as the new model won't be available until 2017 that's why they have slotted the Adblue engines in as a stop-gap and are offering 0% so that they can shift as many of the existing shape as they can.

Can't blame them from a business point of view but in some ways it's a pity that they didn't stick with the older non-Adblue engines in the current model and then move straight to the new non-Adblue engines in the new model. All down to timing I guess? Did any of the models before the new Superb have engines with Adblue?

Not the end of the world I know, but given the choice I'd rather not have it.

Edited by VAGCF

Interesting that whilst the 1.6 tdi was dropped from the Yeti and replaced according to the sales guy, with the 2.0 tdi 110PS, because it was more efficient, that a 1.6 is available in the Superb and with more power; 120PS.

That along with the new 150PS tdi (neither of which need Adblue) 

Is it the same 1.6 engine though? somehow I doubt it as the rest are all newer versions.

The 150 4x4 Superb also needs Adblue, its only the 2WD Superb’s that do not need it.

That along with the new 150PS tdi (neither of which need Adblue) reinforces my view that the current/final version of the Yeti before the completely new model comes out has drawn the short straw as far as engines are concerned. I guess that as the new model won't be available until 2017 that's why they have slotted the Adblue engines in as a stop-gap and are offering 0% so that they can shift as many of the existing shape as they can.

Can't blame them from a business point of view but in some ways it's a pity that they didn't stick with the older non-Adblue engines in the current model and then move straight to the new non-Adblue engines in the new model. All down to timing I guess? Did any of the models before the new Superb have engines with Adblue?

Not the end of the world I know, but given the choice I'd rather not have it.

From what I can see the Superb 150 diesel has exactly the same engine as the Yeti, as does the Octavia, therefore they have Ad-blue.

From what I can see the Superb 150 diesel has exactly the same engine as the Yeti, as does the Octavia, therefore they have Ad-blue.

Read my post above, I assume the 4x4 system pushes the CO2 up above acceptable Euro6 levels hence needing the Adblue? the 2WD 150 does not need Adblue in the Superb (as far as I can tell there isn’t a 2WD 150 Yeti?)

• Like 1

Yes, that's how I see it.

The technology is obviously very borderline i.e. the new manifold in head can only do the job up to a point, after which they've got to stick with the Adblue.

You have to wonder what the regulations will be after Euro6 and what the implications could be for IC engines? The point will come when any technology will struggle to comply (well, it is already) and whilst very important, emissions need to be balanced against what is an extremely important part of the EU, that is vehicle manufacture.

Edited by VAGCF

....You have to wonder what the regulations will be after Euro6 and what the implications could be for IC engines? The point will come when any technology will struggle to comply (well, it is already) and whilst very important, emissions need to be balanced against what is an extremely important part of the EU, that is vehicle manufacture.

Can't imagine that Germany really would allow the EU to strangle it's one of its own dominant industries  :no:

Can't imagine that Germany really would allow the EU to strangle it's one of its own dominant industries  :no:

I imagine the Germans are looking way past urban diesels to fuel cell and battery and are just doing what they have to to simply get 'there'.

Well let's hope the Mk2 yeti will have the option of a 150 Tdi 2 wheel drive with no ADBLUE as an option for those who want one.

Me please!! :D

When you say premium fuels are you referring to brands (Shell, BP etc. v supermarket) or the brands top quality fuels like Shell V-Power? The handbook says nothing except quoting a standard and referring you to the fuel filler flap which only says do not use bio-diesel. 

I never use supermarket fuels but so far in the Yeti (2 weeks old) I've been using the normal grade of diesel as I've thought that's all my 110PS version would need. I used to use V-Power etc. in my previous A6 as that was 177BHP and sometimes in my 140BHP Passats.

The diesel in my Yeti is the most intrusive I've had in recent cars (I don't mind it though) and is louder than my Passats and even my old Fiat Stilo of 2003 vintage! Being an SE L I expected it to have quite good sound deadening.

What I'm getting to though, is that because I can clearly hear the engine, I'm sure that when accelerating, I can sometimes hear a "tinkling" noise, which if it was petrol I'd say was pinking! Diesels can't pink though can they?!!

Well I've filled up with BP Ultimate and whilst I know some, if not all, may be psychological the Yeti seems to be running better and I think, though not sure that the "tinkling" has virtually disappeared.

I know that some will say I'm wasting my money but I shall stick with Ultimate and V-Power etc. I already use the petrol equivalent in my TT and motorcycles, which along with higher octane ratings, has other benefits supposedly, according to the manufacturers.

Whilst it is a little more expensive, other users reckon it improves MPG slightly and that along with my reduced annual mileage and the fuel economy of the Yeti I am happy paying a premium.  

Edited by VAGCF
  • Like 2