vrs 1.8t

Jonowilliams

With my VRS being knackered and not being prepared to take a huge loss on it I'm looking to do a 1.8t conversion.

Is there's any done cars that are preferred? Or any particular engine codes?

Anyone know how to keep the standard fabia clocks and get them working with a 1.8t?

I take it that with a 1.8t I could keep the Fabia pas pump if wanted?

I'd like to retain pas, abs and aircon and keep it as standard looking as possible.

Any advice y our could give would be a bonus.. as you could guess I'm a bit of a novice but I fancy the challenge and it gives me something to do.

Thanks

If the only reason is to not take a hit why not fix the vRS with the standard engine?

Anyway...

Ibiza is the easiest way (or a Polo but they command a premium over the Ibiza's). Transplant the lot, wiring, engine, ECU, exhaust, cooling, ABS, Aircon if you want. I'm still running the Fabia PAS pump in mine and it works, but everything else is Ibiza :)

There is some butchery involved for example to get electric windows working the plugs from the Fabia loom need to be grafted on to the Ibiza loom so you can connect them to the Fabia switch gear. Quite a bit of this behind the dash too. I ditched my aircon but I'm certain that it would be possible to either make the Fabia controls work with the Ibiza controller or retrofit the Fabia controller in to your new Fabiza.

Personally I just swapped the Ibiza clocks in to the Fabia housing, a few tiny mods and it fits easily. Looks good with just a subtle FR logo which I quite like as it links back to where the car came from (depends on your donor obviously). 

There is no step by step guide, you'll spend a lot of time staring at wires, multimeter in one hand, haynes in another trying to work out the best way to do something... and you'll get it wrong and wish you'd done it a different way and redo it...

Do not do it to save money, the cheapest way to fix your vRS is to fix your vRS, not graft a 1.8T in to it. Oh and the 1.8T vRS will be worthless once you've finished.

• Like 1