Shark stage 1 or tuning box?

I wish someone with a CTHE would hurry up and get it mapped with before and after print outs, or even a supplier with concrete proof they've done one. I want to have it done but don't want to be the first documented person to do so....

• Like 2

Shark Performance have certainly not been very forward with Information when asked about the CTHE remaps other than some member of staff or other say they can and have done them.

Maybe this time they will come up with showing the results from there Dyno.

APR HQ & REVO HQ have been no more forthcoming than SHARK have.

Yeah it seems odd, CTHEs are coming out of warranty and there are people who are definitely interested in getting theirs mapped, as a business you think they'd be a bit more transparent on the matter.

• Like 1

I've spoken to Ant today regarding his TMC box. I've bought a blue spark box due me still being a little sketchy about a map. I more favor the option to switch back to standard with this car. 

A few more bits to upgrade and i'll get it on the rollers. Though this is a CAVE engine. (not an oil user haha)

Edited by Robbbbie!!
  • Like 1

I've spoken to Ant today regarding his TMC box. I've bought a blue spark box due me still being a little sketchy about a map. I more favor the option to switch back to standard with this car. 

A few more bits to upgrade and i'll get it on the rollers. Though this is a CAVE engine. (not an oil user haha)

amytime buddy I hope i will see you soon or at the shark performance open day.

10 days later and no more from Shark..slightly disappointed/surprised as they have the support of so many of  this forums users and have supplied services "beyond the call" previously.  

• Like 1

Maybe worth getting back in touch and talk with someone in charge and see if they have or have not Re-mapped a Car with a CTHE Engine / ECU and what performance gain they did get over the 190 hp they can have as standard,

and if SHARK PERFORMANCE has not done one ask if they want to use your car as a Development one.

In post #22 you said what reply you received and others have been told the same, 

it is odd that they can not just show the Results that they received and a Before & After Print Out,

since the employee said 'they did the development in house on their Dyno'.

A Bluespark tuning box as used by vRSforever on his CTHE might be the way to go, 

he gets good results from it.

• Like 1

Maybe worth getting back in touch and talk with someone in charge and see if they have or have not Re-mapped a Car with a CTHE Engine / ECU and what performance gain they did get over the 190 hp they can have as standard,

and if SHARK PERFORMANCE has not done one ask if they want to use your car as a Development one.

In post #22 you said what reply you received and others have been told the same, 

it is odd that they can not just show the Results that they received and a Before & After Print Out,

since the employee said 'they did the development in house on their Dyno'.

A Bluespark tuning box as used by vRSforever on his CTHE might be the way to go, 

he gets good results from it.

I've posted my latest Dyno. Now it produces 206BHP & max torque of 253ft-lbs over a much wider rev range.

Very happy. This Dyno is with the following mods;-

Denso SKJ20 spark plugs gapped at 0.6mm

Bluespark box with latest upgraded software & set at maximum.

ITG Maxogen CAI

Catback SS 70mm exhaust system with centre box removed.

See the dyno in Mk 2 Fabia vRS rolling road topic.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

I have been asked a few times this weekend about CTHE Remaps.

Did Shark Performance UK come back with any more information on Stage 1 on a CTHE since they Developed it 'in house on their Dyno' !

Or APR / REVO / AmDTuning or anyone else?

It really is quite amazing that when all of them say they can remap these Engines that nobody has ever come forward to say they have had it done, and give feedback on the improvement in performance.

Did Shark Performance UK come back with any more information on Stage 1 on a CTHE since they Developed it 'in house on their Dyno' !

Or APR / REVO / AmDTuning or anyone else?

It really is quite amazing that when all of them say they can remap these Engines that nobody has ever come forward to say they have had it done, and give feedback on the improvement in performance.

It is pretty well know that Shark’s (only?) weak point is forum replies.

Personally I would phone them.

They replay to direct enquiries. (see post #22)

With the same lack of Information as there is in this thread.

'Developed on their in-house Dyno'.   Then no providing any Before or After Dyno to show what they achieved.

Same thing for over 1 year from all the other Major Tuning / Remap Companies doing the Remaps in the UK.

Customers continue to ask.

Gizmo68, 

Do you know of a 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 kw Twincharger 2012-2014 that has been Re-mapped.

(not the previous 1.4 TSI / TFSI 132-136 kw Twincharger engine / engine management, 2009-2012)

Im not a fan of turning boxes tbh but in the case of a cthe....if i absolutely had to tune mine then i would see the box as the safer option if still under warranty.

This is pure speculation... but given the issues and associated costs to vag with the early twincharger and the extensive revisions of the cthe, i would like to think the redesign had the full attention of the top brass at vag. I personally feel that their top enginners were involved. I would be really nervous of letting some characters loose on my cthe with the view to eek out every last gain.

As a formerly chartered engineer i would question the mechanical comprehension of some of these tuning characters. I would wager there 'experience' is based on winding up ghe fuel and boost without thinking about the effects on the mechanical components and cooling/lubricating systems.

So really just the same as the Tuning Box then,

Engine Management / Signals / , just alter Fuel / Air / Spark and no Hardware Changes.

Im not a fan of turning boxes tbh but in the case of a cthe....if i absolutely had to tune mine then i would see the box as the safer option if still under warranty.

This is pure speculation... but given the issues and associated costs to vag with the early twincharger and the extensive revisions of the cthe, i would like to think the redesign had the full attention of the top brass at vag. I personally feel that their top enginners were involved. I would be really nervous of letting some characters loose on my cthe with the view to eek out every last gain.

As a formerly chartered engineer i would question the mechanical comprehension of some of these tuning characters. I would wager there 'experience' is based on winding up ghe fuel and boost without thinking about the effects on the mechanical components and cooling/lubricating systems.

Well, contrary to what we thought in the beginning, these engines can easily hold some extra pressure. If that wasn't true, CTHE engines wouldn't be coming out the factory with what is practically a free remap (albeit a light one) from 180 to 190 bhp. I find hard to believe any manufacturer would push an engine that works near its limit already. Let alone all the 230+ bhp stage 2 CAVEs with totally stock internals. There were far more failed stock engines that tuned ones. All of the above has finally made me thinking more of a faulty peripheral (think oil jets) than a very tight design overall. A good stage 1/2 remap will not put the engine in danger. A blind box which practically does what you described (crank up fuel/boost) without any safety cut-off values on EGT, lambda readings etc. is what I wouldn't ever put on my car even if it was offered for free. Just my 2pence.  

• Like 2

So really just the same as the Tuning Box then,

Engine Management / Signals / , just alter Fuel / Air / Spark and no Hardware Changes.

Yeah basically. That's why i said that is the best option if u der warranty. It can be unplugged if the engine goes pop

There have been some that thought that and never actually got the Box off before being Recovered.

Then there was someone recently that had the car Recovered from the accident and needed to get the Box off before the Loss Examiner got to doing an Inspection.

The VWG are not actually stupid when it comes to warranty claims that are costing several thousand quids,

they have been known to look at Enthusiasts Forums.

Also if you have a Tuning Box fitted you really need to be declaring the Mod to have valid insurance, and its easy enough for VWG to ask about the Insurance, then ask the Warranty Claimer if they were running none Factory Approved Electric Enhancements. Just as Loss Adjusters and Accident Examiners may.

The 'Approved Tuning Boxes' as can be VWG Approved in Germany and other countries cost 2 or 3 times more for the Reason that they have Warranty Cover.

Obviously, it is a calculated risk deploying modifications on an engine still under warranty, but even if a stage 1 remap was possible on the CTHE, I still think I would prefer the tuning box option. There doesn't seem to be much difference in the net BHP gains between a Stage 1 remap & a tuning box, & the tuning box does at least give you option of returning everything back to normal when you take the car in for service.

None of the tuning companies I have contacted can remap a CTHE engine without removing & modifying the ECU, - which immediately violates the warranty - why take the risk?

My warranty has only a few months to run now, & I have been running a Bluespark box for over 12 months, without any apparent ill effects. On the contrary, I swear it runs sweeter & I absolutely definitely get better overall MPG (round about 8-10% better).

When I take the box off the difference is immediately apparent - the engine seems harsher & far less flexible. I examine my plugs regularly, & as far as my limited engineering ability goes,  I can see no ill effects of running a tuning box. I never need to top the oil in between changes.

I run my engine fast & hard & I would have thought that any consequences of the tuning box would have manifest itself by now in a breakdown of one form or another.

My dyno graph is posted elsewhere on this forum, & assuming that a standard CTHE makes 190BHP, then I am seeing gains of 15BHP (approx.). But the increase in torque, & the availability of power over a much wider rev band is much more apparent.

Incidentally I have declared all my mods to my insurer (Chris Knott), with no increase in premium. But then again, they know a careful, considerate driver, when they see one!!!

An experienced Gentleman who i imagine gets insurance pretty cheaply for vehicles with even more power than these.

Certainly one that knows what is what on how to get the best out of them and should be able to tell when one is performing better than stock.

Nice exhaust sound from your car.

?

Is there any Vid with sound available?

& who was it that Built and Fitted it?

• 1 month later...

Today my tuning box arrived and as I am now a competent vRS mechanic after dash cam hard wire and head light bulb changer,I've now added Bluechip box installer. Proved very simple with no warnings on dash. A little run out then a local hill I come up in max fourth and was happy with a gear higher. I have left it at the suggested setting but will try top one tonight as I intend to go to the Maidstone meet.