CV boot

For the last 2 years the MOT advisory has been cracked CV boots… so tempted to replace them now before the MOT is due on 27th August… 

Have bought two kits from ECP, but they came with bolts that are internal hex, and seem to be M15 threaded.  Have I been sold a kit for the 4 cylinder engines, or does anyone know if the internal hex (17 mm) bolt will fit my V6?  Currently I have some external hex bolts, but for the life of me and without taking the wheel off I do not know the size, and more importantly what thread size it is I won't know till I take the old one out, so any help is appreciated before I take the parts back to ECP and complain...

I took the wheel off, and the current bolt is 27 mm socket.  Febi catalogue for my car shows internal hex part too, so no clarification on the thread pattern but it might just fit.

More concerning is that the rubber bush of the lower arm seems perished, so that's new arm(s) or re-bush it.  At this mileage the ball joint is probably not in great shape anyway so might just bite the bullet and add this to the ever longer list of things to do...

May be too late for you, but looking on www.partsbase.org seems to show the driveshaft bolt as M16 x 1.5 x72mm for most of the engines, both manual and auto.

Click on the link you want from this page to check the various engine and transmission options...http://www.partsbase.org/skoda/superb-sup-eu-2007-front-axle-steering/

CV joint part nos. are also listed.

Well… I followed another thread I think on Passat world, and it seems like the 17 mm hex bolt means M16 bolt, while 27 mm socket bolt means M14 thread.

I was about to return my kit (I bought 17 mm hex) as I Know that I have a 27 mm socket type bolt at present….

It looks like 4 pot engined models have the M16 and bigger engines have the 27 mm socket M14…. 

WHich makes sense in a way as mine is a V6 diesel and I do have a 27 mm socket type bolt (external hex), but it does not make sense why more power means weaker bolt  :sweat:

Perhaps another VW student design!

BTW the car failed the MOT today, not on the CV boots or (original done 146k miles lower arms) but one the nearside front upper arm, that I replaced around 40-50k miles ago (FEBI Bilstein)… surprised it lasted only this long, and I consider that a reputable brand, but then again the type of roads I sometimes drive on abroad….  I should take some photos and post on here, perhaps that's what did the damage….

Plus our UK drain covers and pot holes most of which tend to be about a foot from the kerb so that wheel gets a pounding.

Easy enough DIY job though, glad I took the pinch bolts out in the spring and re-lubed them…. so new arm going in tomorrow. 

Well done my Skoda, 19 k miles this year, apart from regular oil changes (3 changes) has not cost me a penny this year, except for this arm.  Happy owner.

Edited by oh_superb
  • Like 1