Euro trip...

2 breathalysers (got) - Not needed as the French cannot enforce it

Warning triangle (got) - Yes

Hi Viz vest x 2? (or is that just van/truck) - 1 per person, one must be in reach of the drivers seat (must be wearing it when you exit the car)

Bulb kit? (I’m not on Xenon so main/dip/side/indicator/rear/stop?) - Yes

Ive got 1st aid kit and fire extinguisher - Only recommended, but a good idea

V5

Insurance certificate

Driving licence

these must all be the originals and not photo copies

As well as thw above:-

1) Ensure any sat navs do NOT have speed camera stored on them (even if disabled). Lately updated/new satnavs have "zone de danger" areas - this is OK.

2) Adjust headlights for a flat beam

Presumably as yours is a 2015 its the last of the Superb II facelift  models - if so then do the following:-

Remove the pastic cap from the headlight unit (nearest the outside of the car - unlike earlier versions there are only two caps

On each side there is a tiny lever that is nearly impossibly to reach just to the front side of the headlight bulb reflector (Near front lens and on the front wing side of the reflector)

After some research my dealer pointed them out but couldn't reach them - After scratching my head for a while I had a bit of a eureka moment - I used a small long screwdriver simply guided using an inspection camera (Bought a while ago for a plumbing job from Aldi) which has an lcd display, camera on a flexible shaft and an led light - -took 30secs a side once I'd sussed it. I now have a very flat headlight beam that you could calibrate a  setsquare with!

3) Consider signing up with  https://www.saneftolling.co.uk/ for speedy progress through the toll barriers - this has saved me many an hour on journeys through France

4) Don't speed - loads of manned radar traps - especially on holiday routes

5) GB sticker or euro plates with a GB on them

6) You need a hi viz jacket for everyone that gets out of the car

7) Spare glasses

Edited by bigjohn

Just back ourselves from a couple of weeks in France.

Most important tips are keep your steering wheel to the kerb at all times and give way to traffic from the right at roundabouts.

It's also easy to think you have right of way when turning left, you don't!

Oh, maybe take your European health insurance cards too.

Have a great trip.

A couple of things when driving over there to be alert to that we are not familiar with are:-

1) Priorité à droite (priority to the right).  I first drove in France in 1971 and this was much more common back then.  Nowadays, most main roads have give way lines and a yellow diamond on the main road to show that you have right of way.  However, be alert if you're on rural roads, minor roads in towns and cities or if you pass a yellow diamond with a black line through it, where you may no longer have right of way over anyone approaching from your right, even if it's a farm track!

2) As with all continental countries, be careful to look at the pedestrian  lights if you turn at traffic lights, as they can often be green for pedestrians and green for you to turn at the same time and you're expected to give way to anyone crossing.

Just back ourselves from a couple of weeks in France.

Most important tips are keep your steering wheel to the kerb at all times and give way to traffic from the right at roundabouts.

It's also easy to think you have right of way when turning left, you don't!

Oh, maybe take your European health insurance cards too.

Have a great trip.

Re "give way to traffic from the right at roundabouts" - this used to be the case but just about all roundabouts now have "cedez le passage" signs meaning give way to traffic on the roundabout

• Like 1

we go early friday so no time to get a toll tag now....

The next best tip for toll booths is to use the credit card lanes usually shown as "CB" or Carte Bancaires - usually smaller queues than the pay by cash lanes - and yes your UK credit cards will work just fine

A few more thoughts:-

1) On the subject of bank cards & credit cards etc - worth informing the relavent companies that you are going abroad - they have been known to block cards suspecting fraud as it is not your normal spending pattern. All of the banks I use have also asked for my mobile number.

2) All UK car insurance policies cover you in Europe - but not all extend the fully comp insurance abroad - worth a phone call

3) You wont need European breakdown insurance as it comes with your 2015 Superb - others reading this thread may need to consider this

Edited by bigjohn

Actually the breathalysers are no longer a legal requirement in France, even of the signs in the ports tell you they are.  Or at least they are supposed to be carried, but the law enforcing the regulation has never been passed and is suspended indefinitely.

BUT don't wear headphones or Bluetooth earpieces etc.  All such devices are banned while driving since 1st July.  Built in hands-free is OK.  And in theory playing music too loud (so you can't here what is going on around you) is also illegal.  But how this is defined is beyond understanding, and deaf people can still drive. ;)

The next best tip for toll booths is to use the credit card lanes usually shown as "CB" or Carte Bancaires - usually smaller queues than the pay by cash lanes - and yes your UK credit cards will work just fine

Not always. My wife's brother has lived in the south France for 15 years now but still uses a UK registered credit card sometimes. This has been 'swallowed' by the toll machines on more than one occasion to the point where he will no longer use that card for toll booths. His French registered card works fine.

If the machine does take your card it magically appears in the control room usually beside the roadway but not always obvious where it is. You will need ID to re-claim your card from the supervisors.

Another useful thing to take is a phone translator app which uses the camera lens for immediate on screen translation. Great for restaurants, tourist attractions or just about anywhere. I used this in Italy last month and it works very well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OfQdYrHRs

Actually the breathalysers are no longer a legal requirement in France, even of the signs in the ports tell you they are.  Or at least they are supposed to be carried, but the law enforcing the regulation has never been passed and is suspended indefinitely.

BUT don't wear headphones or Bluetooth earpieces etc.  All such devices are banned while driving since 1st July.  Built in hands-free is OK.  And in theory playing music too loud (so you can't here what is going on around you) is also illegal.  But how this is defined is beyond understanding, and deaf people can still drive. ;)

Looking at the UK, i thought a law in 1 member EU state was liable to be upheld/implemented in any EU state....

A few more thoughts:-

1) On the subject of bank cards & credit cards etc - worth informing the relavent companies that you are going abroad - they have been known to block cards suspecting fraud as it is not your normal spending pattern. All of the banks I use have also asked for my mobile number.

2) All UK car insurance policies cover you in Europe - but not all extend the fully comp insurance abroad - worth a phone call

3) You wont need European breakdown insurance as it comes with your 2015 Superb - others reading this thread may need to consider this

"Green card" insurance (albeit the green card no longer exists) is costing me £56 extra, then theres breakdown cover....

You have Skoda assist which covers you Europe wide. So if you break down you phone Skoda assist and they come out to you just like in the UK.

Just be careful with the insurance that they haven't just covered you 3rd party but given you have paid extra I suspect it offers the same cover as the UK. We specifically went with insurance cover that gives us full European cover as we drive to Germany at least once a year.

Phil

Roadside assistance from ŠKODA

aalogo.png

We're proud of the reliability of our cars and our owners seem to agree - that's why we've been awarded 'Best Manufacturer' in the 2014 Auto Express Driver Power survey. In the event that you do have a problem, we provide 3 years', unlimited mile, european-wide roadside assistance with all our new cars. We'll even help you if you lock your keys in the car, or put the wrong fuel in.

We've chosen the AA, Britain's largest motoring organisation, to provide the service for us, 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. It doesn't matter who's driving your ŠKODA, they can call if they're in trouble. So if you are one of the few unlucky ones, at least help can be on its was with one phone call.

You can call ŠKODA Assistance on 0800 526 625. When calling for assistance, please have the following information to hand:

• Your name and location.
  • Registration number and colour of your vehicle.
  • ŠKODA model.
  • Description of the fault.
  • Your mileage (if known).
  • A telephone number where you can be contacted.

Looking at the UK, i thought a law in 1 member EU state was liable to be upheld/implemented in any EU state....

No, as far as I'm aware, most EU countries have laws that differ in some way.  Scotland recently reduced its drink drive limit and in Northern Ireland, drivers who have recently passed their test are restricted to 45mph, so we even have different laws within the UK.

With the EU so keen to unify everything else, I'm surprised there isn't more harmonisation in motoring laws, especially on the mainland of Europe where you drive over borders of countries in the Schengen area without hardly noticing.  I think it is because Germany are not keen on this idea as one of the first things to consider would be a harmonisation of speed limits.  They may be happy to harmonise speed limits on motorways by removing them from all the other EU countries, but I can't see any other EU country accepting this!

You have Skoda assist which covers you Europe wide. So if you break down you phone Skoda assist and they come out to you just like in the UK.

Just be careful with the insurance that they haven't just covered you 3rd party but given you have paid extra I suspect it offers the same cover as the UK. We specifically went with insurance cover that gives us full European cover as we drive to Germany at least once a year.

Phil

I've taken out a breakdown cover on top of the Skoda Assist that includes assistance if you have an accident or if the driver is unable to continue, which Skoda Assist do not include.  As SWMBO doesn't drive and let's say, for example, I broke my arm when we're away, then there could be major problems. 

I too went for an insurance policy that gives full cover in Europe to avoid the extra cost, especially as we are off in September for our second trip abroad this year.  For £212.60 fully comp plus European cover for 90 days per year, I can't complain.

The insurance doesn't actually cover you for all of Europe.  When I went to Belarus, which is outside the EU, the insurance company wouldn't extend my policy to that country and I was unable to find anyone else who would insure me for Belarus.  I ended up buying third party only insurance on the border with the paperwork all in Cyrillic, so I've no idea what I got, but I took extra care and gave a sigh of relief when we crossed into Poland!

No, as far as I'm aware, most EU countries have laws that differ in some way.  Scotland recently reduced its drink drive limit and in Northern Ireland, drivers who have recently passed their test are restricted to 45mph, so we even have different laws within the UK.

With the EU so keen to unify everything else, I'm surprised there isn't more harmonisation in motoring laws, especially on the mainland of Europe where you drive over borders of countries in the Schengen area without hardly noticing.  I think it is because Germany are not keen on this idea as one of the first things to consider would be a harmonisation of speed limits.  They may be happy to harmonise speed limits on motorways by removing them from all the other EU countries, but I can't see any other EU country accepting this!

Didnt know we had speed limits on the motorways here.............

Not always. My wife's brother has lived in the south France for 15 years now but still uses a UK registered credit card sometimes. This has been 'swallowed' by the toll machines on more than one occasion to the point where he will no longer use that card for toll booths. His French registered card works fine.

If the machine does take your card it magically appears in the control room usually beside the roadway but not always obvious where it is. You will need ID to re-claim your card from the supervisors.

Another useful thing to take is a phone translator app which uses the camera lens for immediate on screen translation. Great for restaurants, tourist attractions or just about anywhere. I used this in Italy last month and it works very well https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h2OfQdYrHRs

I've never had a problem with credit card use in the tolls although I always declare I'm using the card in France as if you don't you can fall fowl of an abnormal useage fraud trigger.

However , even more reason to use a sanef tag  - which I have done for a few years - The French drivers get very upset when I dare to encroach on their reserved lane. I had one guy in a large 4X4 waving his arms  probably shouting "stupid roast bif" up - until "bip" , up goes the barrier

I had a M6 toll tag, i could get overtaken by the big boys in the BMW's Range Rovers, etc on the approach then pass them as I flew thru the tag lane

till the day i failed to see the big red X in the tag lane and the barrier didnt go up......sharp intake of breath and clenched buttocks