Fabia 2 monte resr disc conversion

Purely cosmetic to be honest, the car in my opinion looks nice but is let down by having drums on the rear, especially with the slim spoke 17" wheels. Plus I am planning on more power so every little helps

• 2 weeks later...

Right beam is here, new discs and pads and a pair of handbrake cables also, just needs clean it up paint it where needed and maybe replace axle bushes. Oh and now it's been remapped by shark it's a bit better but now I'm looking at a bigger turbo

Have you also got the correctly coded ABS unit? Your one will not perform optimally with disc brakes as all the parameters are optimised for rear drums. 

Take care as it may well lock the rear brakes and spin the vehicle when you really need it to pull up straight. If you don't change the ABS then make damn sure your insurance company know you've fitted rear discs but not an appropriate ABS unit.

Right beam is here, new discs and pads and a pair of handbrake cables also, just needs clean it up paint it where needed and maybe replace axle bushes. Oh and now it's been remapped by shark it's a bit better but now I'm looking at a bigger turbo

Would it not be easier and cheaper to buy a vrs? Don't see the point of a bigger turbo on a monte and I would have thought the relatively small capacity of a 1.2 would struggle to yield any great power figures without compromising daily drive ability. Rear brakes do very little work usually about 20% of the braking so doubt you'll notice much of an improvement.

Would it not be easier and cheaper to buy a vrs? Don't see the point of a bigger turbo on a monte and I would have thought the relatively small capacity of a 1.2 would struggle to yield any great power figures without compromising daily drive ability. Rear brakes do very little work usually about 20% of the braking so doubt you'll notice much of an improvement.

A vrs certainly isnt for everyone, but i agree with what youre saying.

It i wanted a relatively warm hatch of this size, id either look at a new 1.8t GTI polo, or a 9n3 GTI. Id be skipping the twincharger.

But this is the thing. We all like different things (:

I am very shocked why the monte has drums on the rear, looks like dog s***

In Europe i think they have discs on the rear but Skoda UK are just being stingy and probably use the excuse "not enough power in the car". 105bhp is plenty enough, i've seen cars with rear discs than have a lot less - around 70-80bhp. Rant over.

The rear braking efficiency is actually as safe with the rear drums on the Monte Carlo as the Discs on a vRS,

because the lighter car at 105 ps or even 140 ps is going to have to stop just like a 180ps heavier car.

(unless you are going Tracking the Monte Carlo, and then fitting the pretty crap vRS rear discs is a bit of a waste of time and money.)

But going by Skoda thinking and you having discs on the rear and in all safety now with more power,

best fit the 25 KG ballast to the rear crash bar and a spare wheel in the tyre well.

(Obviously Skoda / VW Technicians were trained that while every other car manufacturer tries to make vehicles lighter 

you make a Fabia mk2 vRS heavier which then required more stopping power, uses more fuel and by putting the weight at the very furthest back makes the front wheels light under acceleration and causes loss of traction.)

It does give a nice pendulum effect though when doing a Scandinavian Flick.)

You can then slide off the road quicker and with more force going backwards into a ditch or a field or hitting a strainer post

or other vehicle or people and when the car is weighed in at the scrap yard you get more for it.

This is not a purely serious post.

But if you want some free Ballast Weights there are plenty kicking around.

Postage would obviously be expensive for 25kg,  as was Design & Manufacturing / material costs for Skoda.

*Remember and switch of the TC if you have it, or all wheel spin and power cut.

But not a problem in a Monte is it, there is no TC.*

I am very shocked why the monte has drums on the rear, looks like dog s***

In Europe i think they have discs on the rear but Skoda UK are just being stingy and probably use the excuse "not enough power in the car". 105bhp is plenty enough, i've seen cars with rear discs than have a lot less - around 70-80bhp. Rant over.

Depends on the weight of the car as much as the power.

Its not heavy, and its not fast. So drums will do.

I see all the keyboard warriors are with us today, the car is a 1.6 tdi not a 1.2 as stated by some users,the abs pumps etc are all the same, if it needs coding Ivan do it with my vagcom. That's for all your incorrect statements. For all people that have genuine interest in this please keep looking. For the people that just want to look clever I didn't work did it ? Have a nice day love px53 JDJ

• Like 1

Keyboard warriors? Lol. Thankfully you won't find many of those on Briskoda. What you do get is plenty of well intentioned advice and discussion with abit of banter thrown in for good measure.

Modding a car often brings about a mixed reaction when you post about it on an open forum but such is life.

If you've got the time, patience and skill to pull this conversion off and it works then all credit to you. Looking forward to seeing the results :-)

• Like 1

I see all the keyboard warriors are with us today, the car is a 1.6 tdi not a 1.2 as stated by some users,the abs pumps etc are all the same, if it needs coding Ivan do it with my vagcom. That's for all your incorrect statements. For all people that have genuine interest in this please keep looking. For the people that just want to look clever I didn't work did it ? Have a nice day love px53 JDJ

Not sure who exactly youre calling here, but theres quite a few very intelligent members on here who know these vehicles alot better than most. If you dont want their advice.. Fair enough, no need to get ****ty though.

I'm not getting funny I'm just stating people are quick to jump on me saying you don't need this and that, I am a qualified engineer, I worked at a very respectable e touring car garage building highly modified engines etc,this is just my personal choice to fit rear discs. And all the people who want to have their say is fair enough, bit some of the comments were petty and silly and without sounding harsh stupid. This is my choice to do this just wanted to share this with people who want to do the same as I have found very little the way of help on this conversion

px53jdj

You will be in a perfect position to help others and let them know what is needed and how to do it,

please do a pictorial write up for Fabia Mk2 Technical Guides Section.

george

• Like 1

*Remember and switch of the TC if you have it, or all wheel spin and power cut.

But not a problem in a Monte is it, there is no TC.*

Yes there is.

And just what the hell does fitting better brakes have to do with the spare wheel and crash bar weights? Does that mean that if someone upgrades just the front brakes they should fit a bigger engine or some lead in the front bumper to make it safe? Didn't think so.

Chill,

Clue in the 'this is not a purely serious post',

that i said in the post.

I was jesting at the increased power with a remap Fabias that do not need sand bagged to slow them down or keep the rear wheels on the ground.

Being Ironic about Skoda advanced engineering.

Battery in the Boot with a Polo GTI for balance, pile the weight on the Skoda Hatch so it is not lighter or in a lower VED class than the bigger Estate car version or the Sister Hatches.

Problem is, in my eyes, even on the VRS, the rear discs are that small that a budweiser bottle cap is barely smaller. So not that asthetically pleasing imo.

Its not exactly like glancing over at the huge vented rear discs of a BMW M5 or whatever.

But if the OP likes it, thats all that counts (:

• Like 1