Yeti lights

Leannehampson84

Hi everyone.

I have just got a skoda yeti black edition and for the life of me can't work out the lights! Can someone help please?

How do you just get on the normal headlights??

There is a dial at the side which has 3 positions, obviously the one on the left is off but what are the other 2? If you pull it out it takes you to fog lights.

I am looking to just get normal night time lights on. It all seems so confusing in the manual.

Thanks

Leanne

At a guess, the first position will be "Auto", the next will be sidelights and the final position will be "normal" lights (what you are looking for). I leave mine on Auto 99% of the time and they sort themselves out at night. I only have to intervene if it is foggy in the daytime, when they often do not switch on automatically, so I flip them to position 3 manually.

Or, if you don't have "Auto" lights then ignore that bit and just go straight to the far right position. The only time you will need the middle one would be for parking on a dark road at night.

Be aware that the 'daytime running lights' function will mean that small lights will illuminate at the front even when the lights are "off".

I have had my Monte Carlo for a month and still don't 'get' the lights.  Living in hope that when it gets dark, they will go on automatically.

At the moment, I am struggling to find out how cruise control works.

Yesterday, my drivers window went berserk!  Read lots on here about it and finally just pressed the unlock on the remote and held it down.  All the windows went down a few inches!!   Put them all up and at the moment the driver's window seems to be OK.  I gather this is a 'reset'!!

I had my last car for 17 years as I dreaded changing it......turns out I was right!  Love the Yeti - my b&w stands out in the crowd - but don't love its little 'puter :p

Is this a 'girlie' thing I ask myself? :angel:

I have had my Monte Carlo for a month and still don't 'get' the lights.  Living in hope that when it gets dark, they will go on automatically.

At the moment, I am struggling to find out how cruise control works.

Yesterday, my drivers window went berserk!  Read lots on here about it and finally just pressed the unlock on the remote and held it down.  All the windows went down a few inches!!   Put them all up and at the moment the driver's window seems to be OK.  I gather this is a 'reset'!!

I had my last car for 17 years as I dreaded changing it......turns out I was right!  Love the Yeti - my b&w stands out in the crowd - but don't love its little 'puter :p

Is this a 'girlie' thing I ask myself? :angel:

what exactly is it that's confusing?

the lights, are off, auto (if you have that option) sidelights, or headlights on  (these being from left to right as you turn the switch), it really is not hard and is kind of how most cars work though the switches will look different

on the windows that's not a reset, it's just a quick way to open or close all windows at once (hold down unlock and they will all open, hold down lock and they will all close)

Agree with "weasley" 100%.

We in Qld/Australia have had some severe Storms, but have pulled over set side & front (Not Head Lights) & rear Lights,

as indicator lights. Its Safer. and If you don't need  Headlights, save power.

Edited by Gobmax

At the moment, I am struggling to find out how cruise control works. So you have a Right Hand Model,the Left indicator allows for Change of Lanes,

AT THE EXTEME END THERE IS A SWITCH,  UP SET CRUISE CONTROL , DOWN CANCELS. Presume it's the same as my Yeti.

I gather this is a 'reset'!! Check your centre Console there is  a switch that Locks/Unlocks all doors.

Is this a 'girlie' thing I ask myself? :angel:,  Might be if you throw your  Bag into the centre console space.

• Like 1

twoladies, don't worry about asking questions on BRISKODA, most of us are here to help.

By the way, if your Yeti was new, the dealer should have carried out a comprehensive handover including cruise control etc. Persevere with cruise control, easy to use, saves fuel and really helps in speed limit areas such as road works on major roads.

There are lots of 'I didn't know my Yeti did that!' features to find out as you get acquainted.

Enjoy your car.

• Like 2

I only have 3 options and one is 0 which means off. Is there anyway I can add a picture on here to show you?

it's OK, if there is no auto option then you have (from left to right), off, sidelights, headlights. 

switch_zps0yeap5gd.jpg

Dead easy

I only have 3 options and one is 0 which means off. Is there anyway I can add a picture on here to show you?

In that case you have the same as miine:

0 - OFF

One click to the right - sidelights

Second click to the right - headlights

In either of the last 2 positions above:

First pull out - front fog lights 

Second pull out - front and rear fog lights.

All explained in the manual with a picture.

• Like 2

and as per the picture I posted above, though I admit that is from a VW Transporter as my Skoda has the auto switch and that would just confuse the position further still ;-)

At the moment, I am struggling to find out how cruise control works. So you have a Right Hand Model,the Left indicator allows for Change of Lanes,

AT THE EXTEME END THERE IS A SWITCH,  UP SET CRUISE CONTROL , DOWN CANCELS. Presume it's the same as my Yeti.Thanks, will try that.

I gather this is a 'reset'!! Check your centre Console there is  a switch that Locks/Unlocks all doors.I will try that!

Is this a 'girlie' thing I ask myself? :angel:,  Might be if you throw your  Bag into the centre console space.Yes I do - how did yah know? 

Found the lighting control.  Hadn't noticed it down there.  A friend with a Tiguan seems familiar with the Yeti - I wonder why? hehehe

twoladies, don't worry about asking questions on BRISKODA, most of us are here to help.

By the way, if your Yeti was new, the dealer should have carried out a comprehensive handover including cruise control etc. Persevere with cruise control, easy to use, saves fuel and really helps in speed limit areas such as road works on major roads.

There are lots of 'I didn't know my Yeti did that!' features to find out as you get acquainted.

Enjoy your car.

Thank you - love the car - a bit of a headturner I think.  My vet wants one when he retires and he is going to get the bottom of the 'Y' cut off so it says veti!  Boom boom.

The comprehensive handover didn't happen.  The driver delivered it from 100 miles away and picked up my old one.  He wanted to get back!!

Anyway, as you say, I am still getting to know the car.  Its the technology that's the problem.  My reverse sensore stopped working and I had the devil of a job figuring out how to reinstate.

Good job I didn't get the L&K.  I wanted the selfpark and sunroof.  Having read about the technology and possible problems, I think I have enough on my plate with this one!!  Not sure I would ever trust the self-park. :D

Edited by twoladies

AT THE EXTEME END THERE IS A SWITCH,  UP SET CRUISE CONTROL , DOWN CANCELS. Presume it's the same as my Yeti.

I gather this is a 'reset'!! Check your centre Console there is  a switch that Locks/Unlocks all doors.

Is this a 'girlie' thing I ask myself? :angel:,  Might be if you throw your  Bag into the centre console space.

Mine is different to that. There is a small switch along the top edge of the indicator to switch the cruise control on and off and + and - switches on the end for increasing/decreasing speed.

VAGCF - my cruise control is similar to yours.  Will have to experiment.

Nice that I have auto lights - must check and see if I have pretty lights at the back. :D

Not too bothered about that though, as I can't see them.   I like driving behind the posh cars with exotic lights though!!

Nice of them to pay mega bucks for my pleasure - hehehe :clap: :clap:

I've had cruise control on a number of cars over the years and to be honest rarely use it because of our crowded roads and the feeling sometimes of being out of control! And in the Yeti, being part of the indicator, the switches are a bit small (particularly the on/off one) and maybe fiddly to use. The separate levers I've had on other cars are better as they are more positive and easier to use as you're moving the whole lever - like in my current TT or previous A6, though I've never used it in them!

Only times I really used it was in a Passat when I was taking one of my sons back and forth to uni. At the time the M1 had long stretches (miles and miles!) at 50 mph because of roadworks with average speed cameras. It was useful then, but at higher speeds I don't really like using it

I used to like the look of my rear LED lights on my Passat estates, they looked great. LED rear lights can be too bright though I find.  

I use cruise all the time, it's very helpful on long drives. The yeti is simplicity itself, leave it on but only press set when you want to use it, then turn it off either by pressing the clutch or the brake. And that's it. 

ACC which I have on my new car is fiddly but so much better when you get the hang of it. 

I have to say some posts on this thread have been slightly alarming though. Without wishing to sound unduly harsh or critical of anyone, if you've had a new car for a few weeks and not managed to notice the switch for the headlights it makes you wonder what else hasn't been spotted and whether the driver is able to safely control the vehicle if the controls are an unknown quantity. 

• Like 4

Please note... The DRLs only work with auto (if you have it), in the Off position and the Headlamp position. The rear lights only operate when the side and headlight position is selected. (Also on auto if you have it)

If you rotate the switch to the sidelight position the DRLs don't operate.... The DRL lights dim to sidelight intensity.

The other point to note is on most VAG vehicles there is a parking light function.... If you park on the left side of the road, push the indicator stalk up (on RHD) models... This turns on the two right hand light front and rear. Also vice-versa.

I use cruise all the time, it's very helpful on long drives. The yeti is simplicity itself, leave it on but only press set when you want to use it, then turn it off either by pressing the clutch or the brake. And that's it. 

ACC which I have on my new car is fiddly but so much better when you get the hang of it. 

I have to say some posts on this thread have been slightly alarming though. Without wishing to sound unduly harsh or critical of anyone, if you've had a new car for a few weeks and not managed to notice the switch for the headlights it makes you wonder what else hasn't been spotted and whether the driver is able to safely control the vehicle if the controls are an unknown quantity. 

Love this one.  You are proving yourself a total delight and brighten my day :clap:

So here goes:

For various reasons, I don't drive at night, so lights are not a priority - have managed to flash various other drivers though and all seemed to be working OK.  We did turn on the car one evening and the lights came on, so just assumed there was auto somewhere and was on the list for further investigation when time allows.  As a 24-hour carer, getting to grips with all the technology loaded onto cars these days, is a low priority to me and unfortunately, I haven't been able to drive it more than a few times as yet.

I have driven hundreds of hire cars over years of travelling abroad and not had a problem as yet.  When I need to find out something, I seem to manage it quite successfully.

I have driven for over 50 years and have an untarnished record, which is more than I can say for many of the techies I know who are too concerned with car and phone technology to concentrate on the essentials of looking ahead and driving safely.

I have to say that the lighting controls on my 17-year-old Primera  (now deceased :heartbreak:) were in a much handier position - but as I have auto, hey, it's all OK.

Thank you for your concern, but as I don't live anywhere near you, please don't worry. :rofl:

• Like 3

I've had cruise control on a number of cars over the years and to be honest rarely use it because of our crowded roads and the feeling sometimes of being out of control! And in the Yeti, being part of the indicator, the switches are a bit small (particularly the on/off one) and maybe fiddly to use. The separate levers I've had on other cars are better as they are more positive and easier to use as you're moving the whole lever - like in my current TT or previous A6, though I've never used it in them!

Only times I really used it was in a Passat when I was taking one of my sons back and forth to uni. At the time the M1 had long stretches (miles and miles!) at 50 mph because of roadworks with average speed cameras. It was useful then, but at higher speeds I don't really like using it

I used to like the look of my rear LED lights on my Passat estates, they looked great. LED rear lights can be too bright though I find.  

You are quite right - I also feel out of control with the cruise control.  Used to use it in the States though, but their roads are a different kettle of fish to ours.

Now I think of it, some of those LED lights are so gorgeous they can be a distraction!!

Love this one.  You are proving yourself a total delight and brighten my day :clap:

So here goes:

For various reasons, I don't drive at night, so lights are not a priority - have managed to flash various other drivers though and all seemed to be working OK.  We did turn on the car one evening and the lights came on, so just assumed there was auto somewhere and was on the list for further investigation when time allows.  As a 24-hour carer, getting to grips with all the technology loaded onto cars these days, is a low priority to me and unfortunately, I haven't been able to drive it more than a few times as yet.

I have driven hundreds of hire cars over years of travelling abroad and not had a problem as yet.  When I need to find out something, I seem to manage it quite successfully.

I have driven for over 50 years and have an untarnished record, which is more than I can say for many of the techies I know who are too concerned with car and phone technology to concentrate on the essentials of looking ahead and driving safely.

I have to say that the lighting controls on my 17-year-old Primera  (now deceased :heartbreak:) were in a much handier position - but as I have auto, hey, it's all OK.

Thank you for your concern, but as I don't live anywhere near you, please don't worry. :rofl:

sorry if it sounded offensive, it wasn't meant. I actually thought you might be winding us up. When I hire or buy a car, before I move anywhere I have a look and work out where the controls are. It was your post that said that you hadn't noticed the car had a switch for the lights that made me think, either this is someone who doesn't know what the switches do (or hasn't actually noticed that the car has controls) or it's a wind up.  I agree with you about working out the tech in the car but lights, wipers, indicators, I count as basic essentials rather than techy extras.  :notme:

Glad you're getting to grips with it though, the yeti is a fun drive.

• Like 1

All is forgiven.  I often post 'tongue in cheek' - sometimes a bit of a wind-up also :D

Not quite the 'girlie girl' I may appear to be online!!

The Yeti is certainly fun to drive - but has a serious side - will have to pull a horse trailer as soon as she reaches 1000kms.

• Like 1