New Tyres for Yeti 4x4 Diesel

survey

Have a read of the manual (P195 in the November 2014 edition).  It's a bit confused but basically it says that snow chains can't be used on front tyres over 205 wide.  As far as I can see from the manual you could put chains on the rear only with the 225 tyres, but I'm not keen on the idea of having drive but no steering...

Pretty sure it's been discussed on here in the past as well.  It's certainly mentioned in the Yeti Tyre & Rim Guide thread in the Technical Guides section.  It's true that if you search the forum for just "chains" a lot of the hits seem to be for threads about the 1.2 TSI.

I'd be surprised if our ADRs (Australian Design Rules) didn't take it into account as a potential requirement.

Not a "cold and wet" September I hope.

Coldest wettest summer in 44 years so I'm not holding out hope that the autumn months will be Warmer

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

Coldest wettest summer in 44 years so I'm not holding out hope that the autumn months will be Warmer

Sent from my TegraNote-P1640 using Tapatalk

Amazing what a difference a few hundred miles can make - we had 31 here yesterday (well in Essex where I was). Overall it's been a pretty good summer.

I guess that this is an old chestnut, but soon our car will require new tyres all round. Came on Dunlop SP01's and these have worn reasonably in my opinion - after 26K miles summer use now down to 2mm. Not sure if this is good or not really.  I am looking for replacements that will wear at least as well for same or less money.  Any recommendations?

You have a Yeti with the same weight and propulsion of mine....go on Falken without a doubt.....they are fantastic in summer and winter.

I use the http://tinyurl.com/od43lnp in summer     and   http://tinyurl.com/oovn3rd   in winter..

Never had the esp on or problems with them, trust :coffee:

Edited by CicaYeti
  • Like 1

So I'm wondering if anyone with 225/50/17, on their 4x4, has fitted chains to the rear tyres and driven on snow seeing the fronts won't accept them?.

Never heard of anyone doing so in all the years I have been here.

TBH, where they are a legal requirement, most people just use winter tyres instead as they are also allowed.

• Like 1

It's a technical requirement for crossing the mountains during the 'declared' snow season using the Great Alpine Road which is the only route kept ploughed but still requiring chains to be carried.......more of an inconvenience for us as we have the option of timing to avoid bad weather.

Still, it's a moot point as to the legalities as it states in the regulations that they must be fitted to FWD front tyres and as our car is such until slip is detected I wonder where we stand from a technical point.

Could be somewhat funny to watch the result.

Obviously 205s would resolve the situation but that means a tyre which under all other circumstances would not be necessary.

Edited by Ryeman

You have a Yeti with the same weight and propulsion of mine....go on Falken without a doubt.....they are fantastic in summer and winter.

I use the http://tinyurl.com/od43lnp in summer     and   http://tinyurl.com/oovn3rd   in winter..

Never had the esp on or problems with them, trust :coffee:

What is the wear like and the noise on these summer tyres?  (I have a set of Nokian winter tyres I use)

I had the Dunlop sport previously and comparing to Falken I don't hear difference in rolling noise, otherwise the driving is better with Falken.

What is the wear like?

now it's clear ty......

winter falken

first y = 10400 km

second y = 13200 km

third y = 9950 km

fourth y = 23000 km

dead!

Summer falken = 35000 km

in use!

Well, your summer tyres seem to be wearing well then - what depth of rubber is left now?

seriously? :devil:

Not sure what you mean. I would asume that if you have covered 35000km so far and still using them and you still have tread depth that's not bad.  How much tread depth is left?

• 4 weeks later...

Hi

can anyone tell me if you have to fit all 4 tyres at the same time or can you fit new tyres on the front only 

its just with the 4x4 system .I thought it may cause problems by fitting new tyres on the front as it may fool the 4x4 system into cutting in 

I dont need them yet rears are 5mm / fronts 4mm

You do not need to fit 4 tyres at once.

It is recommended by the tyre trade that new tyres are fitted to the REAR, not the front. 

I have invariably only needed to buy 2 at a time so just get the fitter to swap them around so that the new ones are on the rear..

Hi I'm an Aussie, (Don't hold that against me)

I have used Cruise Control on Gravel Roads, Dirt/Mud outback & my favorite place "The Beach"),

It has "never"  failed me ever, + I travel  to what I consider a Safe Speed for the conditions.

Plus on original topic. I use Cruise control, have Original Tyre's and have worn down but haven't

hit the Buttons in between the tread 55,000 KM (34,375 Miles)

so I recon I'm good for another 10,000 or so.

Edited by Gobmax

Seem to think it was recommended to have matching tyres and of a similar tread depth with the original Haldex systems way back when. However this is no longer the case with the Haldex IV and V set-ups in the original and FL Yeti's.

Mind its still advisable to stick with matching brand and tread pattern on all four wheels and you shouldn't run with a mixture of summer and winter pattern tyres.

TP

• Like 1