New Tyres for Yeti 4x4 Diesel

survey

Morning all,  aim to change tyres next month, late November.

36000+ miles so far and down to 4mm on rear & 4.5mm on front. Car holds the road like on rails.

Car has Pirelli Zero Rosso at present. Tempted to get same again or go for Michelin CrossClimate.

Drive a fair bit of motorway both here and France.

Have no need to drive in the snow, and price is not an issue.

Any polite suggestions welcomed.

I can only compare them with the Continentals I had before and certainly they don't seem any "softer" on cornering. Mind you I am not a "boy racer" style driver but neither am I a particularly slow driver. The Yeti is hardly the type of car you buy if you expect the ultimate in performance - why buy a tall vehicle with elevated suspension and poor aerodynamics if you really want a high performance car with superb roadholding? I have had "performance" cars in the past but the Yeti gives me the higher driving position I now like and is just fun to drive even after almost 4 years of ownership.

I remain torn really between just replacing my Dunlop SP01's with the same.  The Goodyears look good and my tyre dealer is fairly keen; however I note several reports about the softness of the tyre and attracting several punctures - in a rural area where I live hedge trimmings etc can play havoc with soft rubber!

Another vote for the Dunlop SP01 here.

I'm on my third set!

It's popular to rubbish them but I've not found anything to complain about, wet or dry, braking and cornering .

Out here they are priced attractively also.

I wonder if there is a 16" equivalent ?

Edited by Ryeman
  • Like 1

I've just replaced my Dunlop Sportmaxx RT's with Michelin Pilot Sport 3's.

So far I'm really impressed with how they feel. I'm hoping I'll get more than 6k out of these :)

6K!?

39-40K!?

Miles?

What's going on ?

I drive more like g'ma but won't get much beyond high 20s with high 30s pressure.

It's popular to rubbish them but I've not found anything to complain about, wet or dry, braking and cornering .

Out here they are priced attractively also.

I wonder if there is a 16" equivalent ?

You obviously haven't had a set that cracked in the sipes after about 11,000 miles then leaving them dangerous...   poor quality that I have never experienced before in 30 years of driving - I'd not have Dunlop's again on that basis.

You obviously haven't had a set that cracked in the sipes after about 11,000 miles then leaving them dangerous...   poor quality that I have never experienced before in 30 years of driving - I'd not have Dunlop's again on that basis.

What I have found is that now at about 2-2.5mm the noise presumably from the wear indicators is terrible!  Other than that they have performed well for me.

What I have found is that now at about 2-2.5mm the noise presumably from the wear indicators is terrible!  Other than that they have performed well for me.

And a brand new set would fix that just like any other brand would.

It'd be interesting to do a comparison between worn tyres of different brands, because all new tyres are impressive to me.

Ryeman - I am sure that you are correct! Just seemed to start a little earlier than some makes of tyre I have had. However, the Dunlops still seems to be a preferred choice for me at present. A good trade off of longevity/noise/performance.  However, I am still willing to be convinced otherwise before I actually buy a new set. And as I have a 2010 Yeti 4x4 should  all 4 tyres be replaced at the same time or can I  safely change those on one axle and then the other axle a little later, or will the Haldex complain?

Edited by survey

And as I have a 2010 Yeti 4x4 should  all 4 tyres be replaced at the same time or can I  safely change those on one axle and then the other axle a little later, or will the Haldex complain?

post 47 & 48

Tyres: Michelin PS3 or Primacy3 depending on what comes in your size.

Edited by brad1.8T
  • Like 1

Ryeman - I am sure that you are correct! Just seemed to start a little earlier than some makes of tyre I have had. However, the Dunlops still seems to be a preferred choice for me at present. A good trade off of longevity/noise/performance. However, I am still willing to be convinced otherwise before I actually buy a new set. And as I have a 2010 Yeti 4x4 should all 4 tyres be replaced at the same time or can I safely change those on one axle and then the other axle a little later, or will the Haldex complain?

I never swop brands on axles.

I rotate them and then dump them all for 4 new ones.

Over many years I've found worn rears much more susceptible to puncturing also.......it seems the 'fronts' flick up the offending item and the rears (left particularly) ingests it.

I'm not suggesting I'm locked into Dunlops though, it comes down to the particular offer on the day and I doubt if there are many bad tyres these days.

Edited by Ryeman
  • Like 1

I never swop brands on axles.

I rotate them and then dump them all for 4 new ones.

Over many years I've found worn rears much more susceptible to puncturing also.......it seems the 'fronts' flick up the offending item and the rears (left particularly) ingests it.

I'm not suggesting I'm locked into Dunlops though, it comes down to the particular offer on the day and I doubt if there are many bad tyres these days.

I did try rotating my Dunlops part way through their wear but the noise was terrible and I had to switch them back.  Never had this with other brands of tyre. Mine have actually worn fairly evenly across the treads and on each tyre; fronts are about 1-2mm less than rears. 

Mine seem to have worn evenly also but I'm certainly not going to get beyond 25K (40kms) some have got up to 40K though which is remarkable .

• Like 1

Dunlop Sport Blue Response instead of the Dunlop SP01?

If they're price competitive, why not......less aggressive patterns are less noisy also.....it takes energy to create noise.

If they're price competitive, why not......less aggressive patterns are less noisy also.....it takes energy to create noise.

Agreed, just wonder about whether they are indeed softer and thus would be more susceptible to puncturing. Plus of course what the wear would be. At least with the SP01's they are a known quantity to me.

survey..... Do you have any particular pro,s and cons for that choice?

No, not really. Always hoping that other owners can give first hand experience of varying brands.

Agreed, just wonder about whether they are indeed softer and thus would be more susceptible to puncturing. Plus of course what the wear would be. At least with the SP01's they are a known quantity to me.

Less rolling resistance comes from, for one important factor, less 'working' of the tread pattern.

That may, however, be offset with less depth of pattern .....our Pug's economy tyres don't seem to have the same depth of tread as my Dunlops did.

Edited by Ryeman

Ryeman - Goodyears come with 8mm tread!

Does that vary much between manufacturers and each of their tyres. Not talking about racing slicks or extreme m&s tyres etc just run of the mill ones. My Yeti came with Pirelli P7's and they are all 4 down to a tad over 6mm in the first year = 6,400 miles. When it's time to replace them I'll be going 'all season'. The local tyre depot I always use normally have Hankooks on at a good price and I was very happy with the last set I bought (Hankook Optimo).

My Yeti has done 23k on a set of Dunlops (2.3mm left) which is great news as my tyre normally last about 15k normally. I am really dying to try out the new Michelin Cross Climate for a yeti I think these could be even better. 

• Like 1