Bolero Head Unit and Bluetooth/DAB Integration - Dension

Hi folks,

I just wanted to leave a message in case others come searching for the same thing I did.

Having bought a 2009 Superb II, I wanted to integrate my iPhone 6 into the car's stock head unit (the 'Bolero'), using a direct connection but ideally with the option of using Bluetooth too. I also wanted a good DAB solution - not one of the FM transmitters, but a direct connection.

Many of the solutions I found emulated a CD changer, so that was a no-go since the Bolero has the CD changer built-in.

After a lot of searching and forum-posting my choice appeared to come down to the Dension BT Pro with their DAB+G add-on. The feature set of the BT Pro looked excellent, and although the documentation I could find suggested that the integration would only include the MFD and steering wheel controls, it looked like my best bet.

I was concerned about what level of control I would have - Dension's web site seemed to suggest it would treat the iPhone's music like a huge iPod, and index the collection every time it connected (!) - but their support team assured me I would have full control from the iPhone.

I was lucky enough to find an experienced fitter in my area, who was also very helpful - Billy Maan over at fit4caraudio. He liaised directly with Dension and made sure he got the BT Pro configured correctly for my Superb (DIP switches) and had the correct connection harness etc.

So - to the results. The BT Pro is running version 056 firmware, and I should note that DAB+G is yet to be fitted due to stock problems in the UK (I'll update this post when it is).

The BT Pro was fitted today, and I've used a combination of wired (via a standard Apple Lightning-USB cable) and wire-less (via Bluetooth) connection.

Well, the integration is superb. The head unit display, touchscreen controls *and* the steering wheel controls all work with the BT Pro, whether the iPhone is connected via USB or Bluetooth. Both the touchscreen and MFD show all the text details of music or podcasts playing. Disconnecting USB, the Bluetooth connection simply takes over and the music playing etc. keeps on going.

Audio quality sounds very good to me, although I'm yet to do a full Bluetooth vs. USB test (I would expect the direct connection to be better, after all). I can control whatever music I want to play from both the iPhone and the head unit, and use the iPhone apps to select other audio sources (such as podcasts).

Phone calls are very clear and always mute whatever is playing on the system. Phonebook synchronisation works as you'd expect. I can initiate calls from both the iPhone and the head unit - Siri works as you'd expect (voice control in the car  :clap:).

I was very surprised to find that the Bolero didn't need *any* coding to enable the phone functions (via the Bolero's 'Phone' button) or audio options (via the Bolero's 'Media' button). (The fitter brought the VAGCOM software etc., as we both expected the head unit to need coding, but he didn't need to do a thing!)

If anyone has any specific questions, please drop a reply in this topic and I'll answer what I can. I'll update this post when the DAB+G gets fitted, and with any other findings that appear useful :-).

I hope this post helps out anyone else thinking about iPhone/Superb II integration - I couldn't find much information about the Dension kit, which is why I thought I'd put this up.

Sorted!

Edited by deleteAsAppropriate
  • Like 2

Thanks very much for your post.  I am now much more confident on getting one of the Denison units.  I too was worried I would have to get the VAGCOM software to do coding.  If this is not the case I think I should be able to install this myself!!

My plan is to use my Nexus 5 Android phone for music and as a Sat Nav connected via Bluetooth. I will be quite interested to hear how the DAB part goes as well.  Though I think I will probably use the Internet radio on the phone.  I figure if there is no mobile connection then there is unlikely to be a DAB signal...

All I need to do now is to fit a USB charger somehow with the wires hidden so I can mount the phone somewhere!  :clap:

Sorry, I forgot to ask...  When disconnecting the Bolero unit to connect the Dension does it lose all power and require a code when you connect it back up again?  If so where did you source the code for your unit?

Mucho Thanks.

Neil

If it's done the same way as the other head units I've used (The Head unit in my Mark II Octy and Columbus in my Mark II Superb), the head unit is coded to the car, so changing head unit will require the car to be recoded, but unplugging and reconnecting the same head unit in the same car has no effect in my experience.

If it's done the same way as the other head units I've used (The Head unit in my Mark II Octy and Columbus in my Mark II Superb), the head unit is coded to the car, so changing head unit will require the car to be recoded, but unplugging and reconnecting the same head unit in the same car has no effect in my experience.

Thanks psycholist.  The problem now arises that according to the advice I have been given that because I do not have maxidot or steering wheel controls I cannot fit one of the Dension BT Pro Units I would need one of the Fiscon units that cost £300!!    

So... now thinking of getting a second hand Amundsen as I seem to be able to get hold of one of them for about £300.  However will this require coding and will it work OK without MFSW and maxidot?  Too many unanswered questions!!!!  And there was me thinking it would be a simple thing to retrofit a Bluetooth for a stereo with a phone button!.

The replacement radio will need coding to match the car. This is a dealer only process AFAIK, though I haven't done it myself. I would expect everything to work without the MFSW and maxidot since the head unit is doing all the work, but I don't know for sure.

• 1 month later...

Thanks psycholist.  The problem now arises that according to the advice I have been given that because I do not have maxidot or steering wheel controls I cannot fit one of the Dension BT Pro Units I would need one of the Fiscon units that cost £300!!    

So... now thinking of getting a second hand Amundsen as I seem to be able to get hold of one of them for about £300.  However will this require coding and will it work OK without MFSW and maxidot?  Too many unanswered questions!!!!  And there was me thinking it would be a simple thing to retrofit a Bluetooth for a stereo with a phone button!.

Not sure what you went for in the end but i'm just after fitting a Dension BT Pro to the bolero in my FL non-maxidot octavia and everything works perfectly without any coding.

I'll update this post when the DAB+G gets fitted, and with any other findings that appear useful :-).

Hi folks, back again now that I've finally received the Dension DAB+G unit and had it fitted. While the DAB+G unit works very well, and the menus and operational controls are nicely integrated into the head unit, there is a significant problem.

While Dension state that they have had no problem with the DAB+G and it's internal, windscreen-mounted antenna, I'm afraid it turns out that this is untrue. The signal from the windscreen-mounted antenna is abysmal. I spoke to my fitter, who was as flummoxed as I was, since he had contacted Dension directly to check that the equipment (the Pro BT, DAB+G and internal antenna) would work as expected in my 2009 Superb II.

When the unit was fitted, the car happened to be in quite an elevated location and the signal was quite reasonable. Once I'd driven away, though, and back down to normal roads, the signal was virtually non-existent. Once I'd told the fitter about the problems he contacted VW, and found that the windscreen has UV protection in the glass, which is killing the signal.

So, I connected my old, roof-mounted DAB antenna (a simple £15 magnetic, 25cm rod), and the DAB+G works very well. Not a single drop-out during my 25-mlie commute around Greater Manchester.

I now need to find out whether my superb II has a DAB coil in the built-in aerial, and act accordingly. I may have to have two aerials on the car, which is disappointing, but I refuse to let the DAB+G unit go to waste!

TL;DR is - don't get a windscreen-mounted DAB antenna if you have a Superb Mk II (2009) 2.0TDi CR170 DSG!

If anyone has the MDI fitted that will play USB sticks, then there's a Dension solution that works really nicely. Each available station appears as a 'track' on the head unit.

@deleteAsAppropriate: Since there is no "Dension DAB" button on your headunit: How do you switch your Bolero Headunit from for instance playing a cd to listening to DAB?

On the Bolero's Media 'screen', an additional MEDIA 'button' appears to the right of CD, SD card etc. when the Dension Gateway Pro BT is connected. When MEDIA is selected, the Dension outputs its own screens and menus - for example, what's playing off the iPhone or DAB station/track info.

A Selection 'button' on that MEDIA screen presents a menu which allows you to pick the Source - DAB, iPhone USB, Bluetooth audio etc. etc. - and depending what Source is currently selected, there are options to (for example) change track, album, DAB station etc. All the Dension-specific options and settings are surfaced through those menus.

You also have basic navigation controls - play, pause, next etc. - on the MEDIA screen, which are repurposed according to what you're listening to. For example, 'previous' and 'next' select tracks when listening to music, but stations when listening to DAB.

(I should note that this particular unit - the DAB+G - connects directly to the Gateway Pro BT, it's not a standalone device.)

I'm happy to post pics if it'll help :)

Edited by deleteAsAppropriate

• 2 weeks later...

Not sure what you went for in the end but i'm just after fitting a Dension BT Pro to the bolero in my FL non-maxidot octavia and everything works perfectly without any coding

Hi Yellowsnow.

Really interested to hear this. So was it just a case of plug and play?  Do you have steering wheel controls?  Once connected does the head unit just pick up that it is installed and give you the extra screens as required?  Can you dial from the head unit & download the address book? Finally, where did you get the Denison from?

Faith and hope restored a bit that this might be possible without breaking the bank too much. (fingers crossed)

Many thanks,

Neilly573

Hi Yellowsnow.

Really interested to hear this. So was it just a case of plug and play?  Do you have steering wheel controls?  Once connected does the head unit just pick up that it is installed and give you the extra screens as required?  Can you dial from the head unit & download the address book? Finally, where did you get the Denison from?

Faith and hope restored a bit that this might be possible without breaking the bank too much. (fingers crossed)

Many thanks,

Neilly573

Hi Neilly,

Yep just plug and play though i dont have steering wheel controls. Yep for the bolero there's no coding required which is great. Yep it downloads your phonebook and all. I just bought the unit (Pro Bluetooth) from the dension website. it'll as you for your car make and it'll tell you what is compatible with the head unit. Made this wee video today to hopeful show it to you better. 

• Like 1

Thanks again Yellowsnow.

Brilliant to see the video as well!  I presume that if you are listening to music via the SD card it will automatically switch to the phone if there is an incoming call?  Finally, (not knowing your phone type) do you know if there is a way to initiate Google or Siri to use voice instructions to make a call?

Sorry for all the questions but I am really dithering on whether to spend this amount of money on a device if it is no going to do all I want it to...

Thanks again Yellowsnow.

Brilliant to see the video as well!  I presume that if you are listening to music via the SD card it will automatically switch to the phone if there is an incoming call?  Finally, (not knowing your phone type) do you know if there is a way to initiate Google or Siri to use voice instructions to make a call?

Sorry for all the questions but I am really dithering on whether to spend this amount of money on a device if it is no going to do all I want it to...

Hi,

Easy answers for you here - yes, and yes.

With the Dension, the Bolero switches to the phone 'screen' when the call comes in, shows you who's calling etc., and you can answer or hang up from there (as well as on your phone).

With respect to voice control; I use an iPhone 6 connected by a Lightning cable, which means it's powered by the car. So, I can use 'Hey Siri' to wake Siri up and use voice control from there. (On the 6s and later, you don't need to be connected to power, and of course you could always just hold down the Home button :notme: )

I fully appreciate your hesitation on spending that much money - I was in the same boat myself. But I don't think you'll be disappointed; I was very pleasantly surprised at how comprehensive the integration is. And there's always eBay if things go pear-shaped!

Hi,

Easy answers for you here - yes, and yes.

With the Dension, the Bolero switches to the phone 'screen' when the call comes in, shows you who's calling etc., and you can answer or hang up from there (as well as on your phone).

With respect to voice control; I use an iPhone 6 connected by a Lightning cable, which means it's powered by the car. So, I can use 'Hey Siri' to wake Siri up and use voice control from there. (On the 6s and later, you don't need to be connected to power, and of course you could always just hold down the Home button :notme: )

I fully appreciate your hesitation on spending that much money - I was in the same boat myself. But I don't think you'll be disappointed; I was very pleasantly surprised at how comprehensive the integration is. And there's always eBay if things go pear-shaped!

Just to add I've an android phone as well as an iPhone and both 'Hey Siri' and 'Ok Google' work perfectly. Cant vouch for the SD slot though as i don't use it now i have the Dension unit. 

• 1 month later...
  • 8 months later...

I've just fitted a Dension Gateway Pro BT to my 2010 Octavia Scout.  All works really well apart from one really annoying issue.

If I switch the car off for a couple of minutes - like stopping for fuel - when I restart, the bluetooth won't reconnect.  The Bolero screen shows "phone connecting", but it never does, while my phone shows "connected"!

To resolve this, I have to stop, turn off the ignition completely (ie take the keys out) Turn the bluetooth off from my phone, restart the car then restart the phone bluetooth.  A tad inconvenient!  I use a Samsung Galaxy S5 but I get the same problem with another phone.

If the car has been switched off for half an hour or so, I start the engine and the phone pairs straight away!

I've installed the latest Dension firmware.  

Any ideas anyone?

(Waiting for Dension to get back to me)

Alan Smith

I've just fitted a Dension Gateway Pro BT to my 2010 Octavia Scout.  All works really well apart from one really annoying issue.

If I switch the car off for a couple of minutes - like stopping for fuel - when I restart, the bluetooth won't reconnect.  The Bolero screen shows "phone connecting", but it never does, while my phone shows "connected"!

To resolve this, I have to stop, turn off the ignition completely (ie take the keys out) Turn the bluetooth off from my phone, restart the car then restart the phone bluetooth.  A tad inconvenient!  I use a Samsung Galaxy S5 but I get the same problem with another phone.

If the car has been switched off for half an hour or so, I start the engine and the phone pairs straight away!

I've installed the latest Dension firmware.  

Any ideas anyone?

Hi Alan,

I have the same unit, but I've not experienced this behaviour; for reference, I connect via Bluetooth for the phone, and USB for audio. In other words, I have Bluetooth audio disabled on the Dension.

I'm on V.0058 of the firmware, but checking the change list, it doesn't look like anything has changed in the Bluetooth area.

You might try unpairing then re-pairing the Dension on the phone? I've had that fix issues on other Bluetooth-connected devices...

Good luck!