Replacing Cassette Player with CD Player From Later Model?

Can it be done? Is it a straight swap, or are there extra looms, amps, or dashboard trim etc needed? I'm assuming it's the "Symphony" ones that fit,

I'm looking to upgrade to a CD player, but keep the standard look. There doesn't seem to be a single aftermarket stereo in the world that wasn't designed by a 12 year old with a bucket full of LEDs and LSD.

Mine is a 2001 Fabia with the MS402 cassette stereo installed.

Oh yes, and my car didn't come with a code - do I need one, or is the code stored in the radio, or does it accept any radio?

Edited by wiredsoftware

Your old radio doesn't need a code perhaps but your new one might so be careful when parting with money.

If it were me I would want to use an external player - probably smartphone - so would mod the existing radio to take an input and fit a 3.5mm socket in one of the dummy switches above the radio. Think the MS402 can be modified if you are prepared to use a soldering iron. Google it...

Not sure that I can do that with the MS402 - there is no "CD" button on mine. The manual shows it can be an "AS" instead which is what I have, so looks like it doesn't support a CD changer which the Connects2 would use as the input channel. Assuming that I could get a Symphony CD player, I'd probably add the Connects2 AUX as well at some point, it's a nice subtle mod.

Edited by wiredsoftware

I did mention soldering...

http://hacks.ostserver.co.uk/2012/01/car-audio-skoda-ms402-aux-in-retrofit.html

If you planning to replace it you don't have a lot to lose.

Thanks for the link - I'm not clear from that how you activate the new aux input - do you have to put a (blank?) tape in the deck or something? How would it pick up to turn off the radio output? If I can figure that out I may well do this.

Reasonable questions but I don't have the answers  I'm afraid.

Wouldn't cost a lot to get an old lead with 2x screened wires to a 3.5mm plug e.g. from an old pair of earphones, and solder as indicated - suck it and see.

Thanks for all your info. Just been out to look at taking out the radio, and I've noticed that the GEO, AUD, AS, and 1-4 buttons don't work, so looks like this unit is only fit for scrap really, it's pretty much stuck on one station (radio 4)!

So I'm on the lookout for a Symphony CD unit (if it fits) or an aftermarket one I guess :(

Edited by wiredsoftware

I've just upgraded my brothers Fabia for him with a Symphony. They do slot straight in, perfect factory look... they are all over ebay with prices from £20 to over £100. If the one you buy doesn't come with its code, allow £10 to get this from a guy, also on ebay who works at a Skoda dealership and sells the codes!

Edited by favguy

Thanks, had a look over eBay, cheapest is about £50 inc. P&P with code, will see if one pops up a little cheaper for a couple of weeks.

Great to know it slots straight in.

Edited by wiredsoftware

For info I fitted a single din symphony from an Octavia mk1 and a CD multi changed to our old fabia. Slotted in fine with no issues but did need the top blanking trim for the dash.