Skoda yeti paint quality sucks

jim100jam

Hi

Just wanted to say that I really like my skoda yeti except for one thing, the paint quality sucks..While washing my yeti today I notice that the paint has started to bubble up below the rear hatch glass window on a car that's barely 5 yrs old..

A simple question for all...

Do we all have to wait years to find out if we have a paint problem because mine appears immaculate TODAY.

TOMORROW?.

I noticed the paint seems rather soft, it picks up all sorts of drag marks and scuffs from

people pushing past in car parks. Most of these polish out but I am not sure if I would

buy another .....

While washing my yeti today I notice that the paint has started to bubble up below the rear hatch glass window on a car that's barely 5 yrs old.

That's strange, have you had the car since new?

Sounds to me like its had a repair done there but not very well.

hi again

well ive checked the car all over and all the panels are original and have no sign of accident damage.The paint seem thin in places and where there a few stone chips I can see indications of rust beginning to set in.

Ive had vws' , seats. nissans. and other makes of car in the past but this paint is the worst.

hi again

well ive checked the car all over and all the panels are original and have no sign of accident damage.The paint seem thin in places and where there a few stone chips I can see indications of rust beginning to set in.

Ive had vws' , seats. nissans. and other makes of car in the past but this paint is the worst.

WHen you say the paint on your car "seems thin", how are you coming to that conclusion? Have you used a paint depth gauge to confirm this?

• Like 2

Remember 'orange peel'?

That was an excess of paint I seem to recall. Mine appears perfect but I'm not too sure if a problem may 'erupt' so now I have to keep looking somewhat obsessively.(((

My car is white and I have had to have the bottom of all 4 doors repainted due to the seals between the doors rubbing the paint off and causing rusting

Otherwise the paint seems very good and the small number of chips have not rusted. Car is nearly three years old, 18500 miles and garaged. 

Remember 'orange peel'?

That was an excess of paint I seem to recall. Mine appears perfect but I'm not too sure if a problem may 'erupt' so now I have to keep looking somewhat obsessively.(((

It might be less of a problem in Australia :)

I had the impression that it was a chemical reaction that took time to appear potentially outside the 3 year warranty period applicable to paint finish.

hi again

The paint seem thin in places and where there a few stone chips I can see indications of rust beginning to set in.

That sounds like a non OEM panel having been used for a repair with poor quality painting.

Have you had the car since new, this could have been a repair before you got it if not.

With the complexity of cars these days I'm surprised more people don't take the 5yr warranty from new. Good idea if you plan to keep longer than 3yrs, and probably makes it a lot easier to sell in years 4 and 5.

• Like 2

With the complexity of cars these days I'm surprised more people don't take the 5yr warranty from new. Good idea if you plan to keep longer than 3yrs, and probably makes it a lot easier to sell in years 4 and 5.

I fully agree.... I wouldn't dare run a modern car outside of warranty period, especially with DSG or any auto gearbox. The time when I used to strip down carburettors etc etc have long gone. My limit now is "Lights & Levels" including tyre pressures and tread depths.

I have read someone on the forum paying £3,500 on a DSG box and someone with a RAV4 paying about £7,000 to sort their CVT box.

Mine is a lease car which I intend to buy at the end of the three year lease but ONLY if I can buy a comprehensive warranty.

Back to the topic.... I have covered 6200 miles and have been "gravelled" several times and to date no chips at all. The paint is far better than my Jazz which seemed to scratch when you looked at it!!

• Like 1

I hope they start listening to customers before their reputation gets this bad

4132404324_bf85cca6f5_b.jpg

It took a long time for FIat to regain peoples trust

Yes, but as I posted elsewhere they sorted the problem. I mentioned my 12 year old Stilo in another post, a number of chips and scratches, untreated, but no rust. Likewise my son's 12 year old Punto. And no, I'm not referring to the plastic panels etc!

WHen you say the paint on your car "seems thin", how are you coming to that conclusion? Have you used a paint depth gauge to confirm this?

I agree that that's the scientific way to do it but my wife's Mini as numerous stone chips on the front despite low, local mileage and just visually the paint looks very thin.

On my own cars the paint looked thicker and when touching up stone chips I had to build it up.

The paint may be slightly more towards the softer end of the scale than hard but id certainly never describe the paint as 'thin'. It's probably the best paint I've had on a car to date in fact. :)

• Like 1

the edges of the doors are showing through small patches of primer in some parts plus the paint just doesn't look as good as other cars ive owned

and the car hasn't seen any accident repair work in its lifetime? That's certainly a very different experience to mine in the last five years of ownership.
  • Like 1

the edges of the doors are showing through small patches of primer in some parts plus the paint just doesn't look as good as other cars ive owned

You can ignore my question but to give others the same information.

Have you had the car from new or secondhand where a non Skoda substandard repair may have been carried out before you owned it?

sorry I wasn't ignoring you, car was bought 2nd hand but well checked out , the tailgate is all 100% original with no repairs

How do you know that? Is the rust bubbling up not some sort of clue.

• Like 1

sorry I wasn't ignoring you, car was bought 2nd hand but well checked out , the tailgate is all 100% original with no repairs

how can you say that if you haven't owned it from new? I know of many cars that are repaired pre delivery for the first owners (original panels still in place) and some of that work is very hard to spot.... Yours is second hand and could have any history but you appear adamant it's a factory/quality issue?
  • Like 4

If your pant is bubblingup on the rear hatch you should take teh car to a franchised dealer and ask them to sort it out for under warranty.  They will take paint depth readings to satisfy themselves the paint is original and send photos off to Skoda to approve the repair.  We've been through this process with an old Fabia, an Audi A6 and a Yeti.

As Merlinman has said, all manufacturers now have to use modern water based paints and paint processes.  These don't seem to be as durable as the old paint systems, but when you look at ten year old Skodas and compare them to other makes off a similar age I think the Skodas stand up pretty well.

Water based paints have been around for decades and to me at least seem as good if not better than previous versions.

I can't recall a single paint issue involving a Japanese vehicle and we are flooded with them.

• Like 1