Comments on this please, VRS more miles than advertised

Ant FR

So, picked up the estate VRS today........... well it was always going to be hard because my hatch was so damn good.

Anyway, right from the off, the salesman i used was a *****, i use the term salesman loosely as he was hardly any use, but anyway  i went ahead with the car regardless as i figured the how much i liked the salesman mattered little if the car was right.

So this morning i saw another salesman who was great for the handover, went through everything no issues, took the service deal out they now offer on used cars 2 services for £180 and i was jut about to drive off when i looked at the milage for some stupid reason.  Now i know if you are buying a car the milage is one of the first things you look at, but for some reason i never checked it before. Now the Ad on skoda used approved said 7031 miles, i had referred to it when i spoke to the ***** too.  i was a 7000 mile car and this got mentioned d a few times as one of my reasons of going for it.

so, as i drive i notice the milage is 12200...........  Now its not light years difference, 5000 miles, however it is more than i was told and what it was listed with, and nearly double the amount.  So i asked the salesman and he said "oh"  then he said you need to speak to the other knob when he gets back and they will sort something out.

Now there is also two other thing i noticed, its very wallowy compared to my old one ( however th tyres do look under inflated) and also the engine made some noise almost like a pinking rattle when cold, i noticed in the garage a minute ago there is some rattle on revving lightly from idle.  also an annoying whistle  that seem stop stay on.  Any VRS owners who know the noise the car makes on cold start briefly for about 10 seconds, but on this one its continuing and is very noticeable, even my dad noticed it when i showed him the car..........  so i am starting to worry here now, firstly have i swapped over a pukka car for a bit of a ****ter and also what should i be wanting for this milage situation and i do have a PDF print of the add on the Used car site before they took it down.

comments please guys

If you have it in writing and the mileage is not as stated reject it and return it to dealer as obviously it is not as advertised .

If you have it in writing and the mileage is not as stated reject it and return it to dealer as obviously it is not as advertised .

Just checked through the emails, the salesman sent me an email saying it had 7k on clock too. plus i have cache searched and its listed on auto trader and a few other sites at 7k.  mmmmm do i see this  as a sign coupled with the noises and just go get my car back before anyone else gets their hands on it......... i'll kick myself if anything happens with this car going forward.

I would quote false advertising, and ask for something...... mine rattles a little on cold startup for a fraction until the oil is in there .... maybe wrong oil? maybe get a service, and the dunlops replaced for good tyres?

I dont have any whistle.... (48k)

I makes my blood boil some of the stories I read on here about garages , salesmen, service ect ect (and skoda are supposed to be good! :o )

when we bought the Abarth, they put us up in a hotel the night before, and everything was easy , with a salesman who modded his own car, and knew everything about it (down to types of track tyres hat were on my car) and we got everything EXACTLY as advertised..

and my last service at a skoda dealer and they didn't even tighten up the front wheel bolts :(

hope you get it sorted mate!

let us know how you live with it the next few days.... but financial recompense for the LIES over mileage is in order. They can be prosecuted, make it clear its FALSE advertising....

thing is we are not talking cold though, this was after half hour driving, going to sleep on it but its put a bad taste in my mouth currently

was meant to be driving it up to Oulton park on friday, tempted now jus to rant, chase them for some more for ****ing me about cost to change insurance, replacement V5 and just being ****s and go get my hatch back.  Think either way i will put the civic back together on thursday and take that up to oulton instead as that alway cheers me up and put this all down to bad experience 

Well if its any help my estate has 4k and doesn't make any noises untoward. Only the twincharger whine and whistle

I'm about 30 mins from oulton if you wanted to come over and compare?

I always say this - follow your instinct, its hardly ever wrong.

You do not want to be speaking to the salesman anyway.  At the very least you want to speak to the Sales Manager or even Dealer Principle and you need to know what you want when you do.

So do you want money and faults checking repairing or do you want to hand the car back?  I would also be talking about contacting Trading Standards and Skoda UK as they should have some concerns regarding the false advertising.

Above all else you do not want to be discussing this with the muppet you dealt with or any other salesman.

ok, just used the car to take the cats down the vets..................... even he looked at me to say this was not right.  

It sounded like a diesel, this car in my estimate has been run low on oil and theres no way it should sound like this, so the car is going back.  That was short and sweet.  

funnily enough the guy who handed the car over yesterday has just phoned as a courtesy, now he was good and i would recommend him, but i said the issues and he said no probs and is now putting me in touch with the sales manager. So now i will be wanting some cash my way for the pain in the ass.  Just checking on fees i will have, two lots of £15 for insurance, £25 i think for a new V5. I'll update how this goes.  I do hope the hatch does not hate me now after turning my back on it...lol

• Like 1

Get rid, get your old motor back  PRONTO

The End

100% agree.

If they can't get the millage of the bloody car right.... what else have they missed?

Hand it back, take your fault free VRS back.

Edited by Ally_bassman

Normally on the Skoda ads they place an * next to the mileage which normally relates to small print mileage not actual!, as it was probably being used as a demo.

Not sure of the engine noises - is there another Skoda dealer nearby to get a 2nd TECH OPINION.

Normally on the Skoda ads they place an * next to the mileage which normally relates to small print mileage not actual!, as it was probably being used as a demo.

Not sure of the engine noises - is there another Skoda dealer nearby to get a 2nd TECH OPINION.

they do, but that's only for variance, and 5000 miles is not variance, also the guys email never had an asteriski in it.  Checked oil earlier, qtr off the bottom, would have thought a sold car would have had levels topped up.  Also it hunts lovely, 

Before anyone thinks i am being melodramatic on this, my one had a hard life and 26k on clock but was looked after well, used stuff all oil and made none of the noises this one is making.  Also my brothers 2011 CAVE engine one is nearly 60k on the clock now and i drove that the other week and that did not make any noises either.

waiting on dealer, Still at least my 110,000 miler civic started first time earlier, looking forward to driving that on thursday, that will make me feel better

I would definitely get your old car back but you ain't having your exhaust back :D. If it doesnt feel right then you ain't gunna enjoy the car so do it now before someone shows interest in yours.

Best just get your Expenses covered and start looking again.

?

What was the story on that one when it was supposed to be a 7,000 mile car.

Who was it first registered to, Skoda UK, Dealer,  Lease, etc, or an actual Private Individual.

then what Servicing if any did it get from new,

or before you were collecting,

and did you check with Skoda UK or a Dealers System to see if any Warranty work was requited or done.?

If the price had been right, and a Full Service Carried Out, New Long Life Oil & Filter,

New Plugs in, New Tyres Fitted, on the VAS and Checked etc it might have been OK.

Probably much better running once filled with 99 ron fuel as well.

Today is going to be one of those days where i really think somebody is going to get punched...............................

"Oh but sir, we've sold your old car !!!!!"

so if you are the supposed buyer and on here, sorry for the disappointment, but you won't be buying it........................

Is it still sat on the forecourt?

If so, no it's not! Refunds can be returned, finance can be cancelled...

they said it sold monday afternoon, i left the dealership at 12:30......

Theres no way it sold to a member of the public in 4 hours, what i think is my car was pre sold to another trader and its not on site, i'm going down on way home to have a look and if i can;t see it i will be on to skoda UK in the morning, in fact i may well just get them involved now.  I've had a pretty ****e day today, been let down by 3 things going on mainly due to poor customer service all from big companies, 

"i'll give you a call this afternoon" just coming up to 5pm and no call  , 21st century customer service at its best

just got off phone to them, they are sorting the finance swaps etc, should have my car back by end of week, put this nasty experience behind me and learn never ever give  a certain dealer a second chance every again.

Back to plan A that means keep til end of finance next june and then see what the used prices on 1.8T Polo Gti's have done.......  

• Like 4

just got off phone to them, they are sorting the finance swaps etc, should have my car back by end of week, put this nasty experience behind me and learn never ever give a certain dealer a second chance every again.

Back to plan A that means keep til end of finance next june and then see what the used prices on 1.8T Polo Gti's have done.......

Thank god for that! I know the mk2 vrs are getting snapped up quick with there being no mk3 vrs. I spotted a green one in Colne on the thursday (when it got put on the website) and I went to view it on the Saturday and it'd sold :(.

It might be worth mentioning this dealer so others can stay well clear.

• Like 1