Automatic wipers Black Edition

Morning fellow Superb drivers,

I got a Black Edition 170 a couple of weeks ago through the company.  It's a great car.  I have one question though, I thought they came with Automatic wipers but I can't get them to work and our local dealer seems doubtful that the BE does.

Can anyone confirm?  I'm sure it was advertised with them!

I have auto lights and mirror.

Thanks in anticipation

Ric

Have someone with VCDS to check if rain sensor is active.

I found a similar thing had been done on another post so asked my local garage about this and they say they are sure the Black Edition does not come with Auto wipers?!

It might not come with auto wipers... but it has the sensor (the light sensor is actually called RLS - Rain and Light Sensor).

The car just needs a tick box enabling to tell it that it has auto wipers.

I've done the coding myself on a Superb SE that just had auto lights but not auto wipers. Enabled rain wipers and hey presto they worked straight away.

Phil

It might not come with auto wipers... but it has the sensor (the light sensor is actually called RLS - Rain and Light Sensor).

I've done the coding myself on a Superb SE that just had auto lights but not auto wipers. Enabled rain wipers and hey presto they worked straight away.

Phil

where did you code this in vcds pls

Phil

Awesome!  I shall tell them

As per here;

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/279237-auto-lights-but-no-auto-wipers/

09 Central electrics, in the drop down box choose "RLS" which will likely be in German Regen LichtSensor. Then click long coding helper. Untick the box that says "rain sensor inactive". Sorted!

Local dealer didn't have a clue what I was on about....

Downloaded VCDS.  Now I just need a cable.  They're freaking expensive!

I pm'd a guy in the area unless anyone can offer advice on getting a cable

Unfortunately dealers don't have access to VCDS and have a system called VAS.

It does similar things and I wouldn't be surprised if they could actually do this but the procedure would be different and usually if it's not "official" or in their procedures they won't even attempt it.

VCDS is unfortunately expensive. You need a genuine cable that contains the license to be able to make changes.

Your best bet might be as you already have done and message someone local. They could also go through any other options you want activating, deactivating etc.

Phil

Morning fellow Superb drivers,

I got a Black Edition 170 a couple of weeks ago through the company.  It's a great car.  I have one question though, I thought they came with Automatic wipers but I can't get them to work and our local dealer seems doubtful that the BE does.

Can anyone confirm?  I'm sure it was advertised with them!

I have auto lights and mirror.

Thanks in anticipation

Ric

On my 2009 Superb Elegance the auto wipers are only on if the wiper lever is switched up by one position. So the wiper lever positions look like this:

3: Fast Wipe

2: Medium Wipe

1: Auto Wipe

0: Off

-1: Single wipe

And then you can control the intensity of auto-wipe by adjusting the little knob thing on the lever itself.

On my 2009 Superb Elegance the auto wipers are only on if the wiper lever is switched up by one position. So the wiper lever positions look like this:

And then you can control the intensity of auto-wipe by adjusting the little knob thing on the lever itself.

Exactly this - just figured this out for myself today.

Mizuno, I'm not sure if I've got a problem with my auto wipers.  I leave the wiper lever in position 1, which is auto wipe.  The problem I have is that if I start the car when it's raining, the auto wipe doesn't kick in until I move the lever to another position, and then back to auto.  Natutrally, the moment you get in, you want the screen wiped, especially if it's pouring down.  I've found that if I pull away, eventually it decides to start wiping, but if visibility is poor, you can always do this.  Does yours behave in this way ?  Thanks.

• Like 1

Mizuno, I'm not sure if I've got a problem with my auto wipers.  I leave the wiper lever in position 1, which is auto wipe.  The problem I have is that if I start the car when it's raining, the auto wipe doesn't kick in until I move the lever to another position, and then back to auto.  Natutrally, the moment you get in, you want the screen wiped, especially if it's pouring down.  I've found that if I pull away, eventually it decides to start wiping, but if visibility is poor, you can always do this.  Does yours behave in this way ?  Thanks.

This is normal behaviour.

I think it's to prevent unwanted wiper movement. Say if you got in the car in winter with snow on the screen. You start the engine to get it warming up while you clean the screen. If the auto wipers worked straight away they could damage the wiper linkage by trying to move the snow.

Hence why they require an initial manual intervention to trigger them.

Phil

• Like 2

Yep, as Phil says, the last thing you want is the wipers turning on as soon as the ignition is turned on.

The wiper blades being frozen to the windscreen is one such reason.