Keys trouble today....

thekrankis

I went to start our Citigo this morning and it would not start - the epc light was on and the immobiliser was preventing ignition.

I tried another key and the car started fine but the epc light stayed on. Halfway to work the car went into safe mode and restricted engine revs.

I pulled over, tried the previous key and it started this time....and after a mile or so it too went into safe mode.

I managed to limp into work and called Skoda Assist.

The engineer was very helpful - he noticed we have three keys registered to the car ( we do ) He also said that there was a record of the keys being re-programmed previously ( probably to match the two std keys with the third key)

He managed to re-programme the two keys and they both now work fine.

He told me not to even carry the third key in the car until we have called Skoda Assist out again to re-programme all three keys to match.

When I asked if this is a common fault he just grinned and said I'm not allowed to comment.  :dull:

Anyone else had key trouble?

• 1 month later...

Its a brand new car - battery was checked and is fine. Most likely cause is the key fob reciever apparently - not an unheard of problem according to the Skoda engineer.

Fair enough. It's not unknown to get a rogue battery from new - they can test OK but have internal issues that only show with vibration. Hopefully the receiver will fix the issue.