Reading the Manual - wish I hadn't!

twoladies

Page 37 Glow plug system (diesel engine).

No indicator light comes on any of the dials and manual says seek assistance immediately if it doesn't come on!!  Its a Monte Carlo.

What could be wrong?

Help once again please :p

Hi tl

Its a little yellowy light to the left of the Red Battery icon. (Switch on ignition).

Mine comes on for 2 seconds then off, easily missed.

Nothing to worry about.

In really cold weather it may stay on for 5 seconds.

• Like 3

Also, if the car has been started and run/driven for even a short distance, in this weather, the light won't show at all.

Don't worry, it's normal

• Like 1

Thank you all.

Yes, complaining about NO light!!

But the manual says (see my original post)............. :D :D :D :D

Being a female I suppose my logic is different.  BUT it's strange that seeing NO light means an emergency visit to the Yoctor.  How on earth is anyone to know that NO LIGHT is serious unless one learns all the lights by heart and realises that one is missing? :clap:

Scared to read on, now.

All the lights come on when starting to check warning light operation. Take the oil pressure light, if that is not working you will not get warning of low oil pressure and could do extreme damage to the engine in a short time with no warning light showing.
That light comes on briefly every time the ignition is switched on this time of year when it's warm, longer when the weather is cold.
If the glow plugs are not working this time of year there is not too much of a problem but when it's cold they are really needed to assist cold starting.

Are you turning the ignition key straight round to the position where the starter motor turns?

If so, you need to re-train yourself slightly to owning a diesel, and pause at the position where all the warning lights come on - one click back from where the starter motor turns - just long enough to see, and then not see, the glowplug light.

• Like 2

Are you turning the ignition key straight round to the position where the starter motor turns?

If so, you need to re-train yourself slightly to owning a diesel, and pause at the position where all the warning lights come on - one click back from where the starter motor turns - just long enough to see, and then not see, the glowplug light.

Ah ha!!  Methinks this might solve it :clap:

I shall try it tomorrow.  I have driven diesel rentals previously, but just switched on and drove off.  Have to have a little rethink.

Rather worrying that I have to know which lights are NOT on!!

Thank you. 

Edited by twoladies

Ho hum........ did this and about 10 or 11 lights flashed up for a couple of seconds.  Having done this a couple of times, managed to get a glimpse of the little yellow light.  Have to concentrate on trying to see the oil pressure light in the mass of lights, next time!!

Am I the only one who thinks all this is a bit OTT!!!  Its all so quick its hard to identify lights which are on as opposed to those missing. :D

Please don't worry about this.

I actually took the time to look today .The glowplug light was on for maybe half a second.

If your car wont start at all or an amber light comes on with the engine running.....That's the time to worry ( a bit.) ;)

• Like 1

I have to say that I wonder sometimes whether I enjoy this forum even more than the car! :D  :D :D  :p  :p  

Will have to continue reading the manual.....or perhaps not :angel:

Thank you to all who contribute to these posts in order to help me.

Edited by twoladies

Not yet - but I am sure I will if I continue reading the manual!!  Will either need a doctor or psychiatrist!!! :D :D   Could prove to be a VERY expensive car in that case.

I did start looking for the buttons for the sunroof yesterday - then realised I didn't have one ROTFL.

• Like 1