Sun Roof Noise

thedinger

I know this has been covered before, but I can't find the thread.

What can be done to stop the big velux creaking constantly, even on relatively smooth roads?

2012 my, 170 Elegance, 38k miles. Only fault to date has been replacement of the roof rotary switch & couple of new front tyres. 1st MOT due in couple of months, let you know how we get on.

Cheers,

thedinger.

I know this has been covered before, but I can't find the thread.

What can be done to stop the big velux creaking constantly, even on relatively smooth roads?

2012 my, 170 Elegance, 38k miles. Only fault to date has been replacement of the roof rotary switch & couple of new front tyres. 1st MOT due in couple of months, let you know how we get on.

Cheers,

thedinger.

A 'dry' lubricant such as CRC silicon spray if you can locate the area it's coming from .......or talcum powder possibly.

I agree with Llanigraham.... Gummi Pflege is rubber's best friend!  I even used it on all the door rubbers on my wife's Pug 2008 and it cured a noise which the Pug dealer couldn't cure.

GP is a great addition to the tool-kit.

• Like 1

I have had this issue twice and both times the dealer lubricated the sunroof mechanism which fixed the problem, now I ask the dealer to do this every time the vehicle is serviced.

Hi, I use Vaseline on the sun roof. I wipe it around the seal and on the edge of the glass part that opens.

Plus down the groove where the hinge runs along for the back hinge.

If I use it on door seals, I wipe the seals the next day to get any excess off.

Vaseline is a very poor lubricant on rubber, as it is petro-chemical based, which actually attacks the rubber. 

You are better using Mr Pledge if nothing else (other silicone based polishes are available)

• Like 2

Thanks for your suggestions, but as far as I'm aware, all "rubber" seals & other bits are totally synthetic these days, so petroleum based lubes won't affect them.

I'll try the "infamous" Gummi Pflege, on order already.

Cheers.

I have had this issue twice and both times the dealer lubricated the sunroof mechanism which fixed the problem, now I ask the dealer to do this every time the vehicle is serviced.

^^^^^ THIS ^^^^^

As SkH - mine also gets lubricated every service.

• 1 year later...

Back on the subject of creaking sunroof, had very few problems with the roof except a few instances of not closing (nearly had coronary) the roof would get to the point of pushing down the fly screen then open again. Not what you want when parking up for the day on holiday in Pembroke. Several frantic searches on tinternet and managed to re-set the roof control system.

Had Yeti to dealer for replacement heated seats (both front were faulty) and they checked out the roof before the warranty ran out.

Anyway now the warranty has run out I have some creaking noises when the roof is fully closed with the internal visor open or closed.

Tried various lubricants including the GP much revered by many skoda owners. But creaking persists, does stop when roof just tilted by pressing the rotating control.

Very difficult to diagnose as there doesnt appear to be a comtact point that the noise comes from.

Any sensible suggestion ?

CREAKING........This is a known problem with the sunroof and had mine adjusted when the car was serviced last,there is a service instruction to cover this known problem this is FOC.

As above - I had my entire roof rebuilt under warranty and that has solved the creaking completely (well at least it's not returned yet and that was done a year & 20,000 miles ago)...

CREAKING........This is a known problem with the sunroof and had mine adjusted when the car was serviced last,there is a service instruction to cover this known problem this is FOC.

Are the instructions on the Elsawin database or somewhere on this forum or is it a trip to the SKODA dealers workshop. 

Thanks

I only know that when I asked Skoda to look at the problem of the creaking sunroof when last service was being done they advised that it would take a bit of time to do,about an hour or two from what I can remember and as I say there was a "service instruction "or something to that effect to cover any charges for the work.