Testing a DSG...

Careful! You wont want your car back afterwards!

Enjoy. I'm sure you will.

We test drove our first auto/DSG car over 2 years ago and put a deposit straight down when we got back!

Phil

• Like 2

Careful! You wont want your car back afterwards!

^^^This

I had a Roomster manual for five years.  Loved it.

I test drove a Roomster DSG earlier this year.  Put a deposit down as soon as I got back!

DSG is awesome.  I would not want to go back to manual.

• Like 1

DSG...Damn Smart Gears. Wouldn't go back to manual now. Not least as kickdown can react faster than I can in a (manual) crisis. Used to be also that Auto used much more fuel. Not now...nor cruise control. And DSG resale prices hold up well over manual.

My 1st DSG drive was in a 170CR Superb Estate (2010) unfortunately it was enough to put me off the DSG, this one was clunky and the car jerked when put into drive and reverse, (this was on a demo car with just a few hundred miles on the clock)

Fabia vRS was the next DSG I drove, this was perfect, I have driven a few more, most have been great but not all, this time I hope to buy a DSG... lets hope the test drive is better than 5 years ago!

The only problem I have found is there are no "automatic or semi-automatic" gearboxes in the same ballpark as DSG.

I had a Tig DSG which I kept for 18 months. I currently have a Yeti DSG which I have had for 5 months. It appears I am tied to the VAG of vehicles....... 

While I was waiting for the Yeti (approx three months or thereabouts) I was loaned  a manual vehicle and have to say I couldn't get away with it after the DSG... And I used to cover 1200 - 1500 miles every week around the Lake District roads in a manual vehicle and vowed I'd never go automatic... until my consultant told me I had to!

Enjoy your demo

The only problem I have found is there are no "automatic or semi-automatic" gearboxes in the same ballpark as DSG.

I've found that although the normal auto boxes are catching up now.

The ZF 8 speed box used by BMW, Audi and VW is a cracker. Changes are very quick and the fuel efficiency is better than the manual in some engine combos. It's key is it has a much smaller/lighter torque converter that can also physically lock up in any gear.

Also Mercedes' 7 speed dual clutch box is also very good.

Phil

I'm looking at DSG for my next car, most likely to be a Superb.

But I've also been looking at the offerings from Audi (let's forget all the Audi VFM rubbish and spec details, it's a company car therefore emissions and P11d are all that matters!) - on the A4 I can have a "multitronic" and on the A6 either an "S-tronic" or a "multitronic" - what the hells the difference?

Is the S-tronic typically a DSG and the multitronic a conventional auto box?

• Like 1

DSG...Damn Smart Gears. Wouldn't go back to manual now. Not least as kickdown can react faster than I can in a (manual) crisis. Used to be also that Auto used much more fuel. Not now...nor cruise control. And DSG resale prices hold up well over manual.

^^ Wot he said. I test drove a Superb DSG 170 three years ago, ended up buying an Octy DSG 140 and 50k miles later I haven't regretted it for an instant. Why faff about with a left foot pedal when the car can do the job itself far more quickly, and knows what gear it wants before you have even decided.

I drive my cars til they die.

A premature failure of the DSG's mechatronics unit would likely be enough to kill a 5 year old car at my mileage let alone the 10+ years I like to get to.

There are lots of threads on DSG's running as taxi's well over 200,000 miles without fault, but for me there are still a few too many threads on here on unfixable DSG's glitches and really expensive failures.

If the car is bought new and sold on it's third birthday (as the warranty expires) then a DSG would be great.

For now I've got enough to worry about with DMF's, EGR's and DPF's  :D

I dont think ANY major fault on a modern car is going to cost much less than £1500 to maybe £4000, new Mondeo Tdci injectors would have cost me £1500, one new Citroen Relay 2.8hdi injector replaced under warranty would have been £500 fully fitted, coded, inc vat..

I had a Tig DSG which I kept for 18 months. I currently have a Yeti DSG which I have had for 5 months. It appears I am tied to the VAG of vehicles....... 

While I was waiting for the Yeti (approx three months or thereabouts) I was loaned  a manual vehicle and have to say I couldn't get away with it after the DSG... And I used to cover 1200 - 1500 miles every week around the Lake District roads in a manual vehicle and vowed I'd never go automatic... until my consultant told me I had to!

Enjoy your demo

Have you tried any of Ford's "Powershift" cars?  It's another twin-clutch transmission, made by Getrag.

Multitronic is a CVT box.

S-Tronic is DSG.

+1, Multitronic is no fun to drive, S-Tronic / DSG is so much better, IMVHO.

I've driven both, & we now have 3 DSG equipped cars, & that after driving loads of manuals & conventional autos we are very happy DSG converts.

As for the whole life costs, I won't be alive / driving in 10 years time so I'll take my chances for the next few years & pay for any repairs required.

DC

• Like 1

...Multitronic is no fun to drive...

I haven't driven a CVT since I took a Daf 44 around the block during the sixties!

Could I ask what it is about the modern-day CVT/Multitronic that you find no fun to drive?  Thanks.

• Like 1

Well forget that then, took Flis in for her tickle, no salesman, he turns up 30 minutes later, wanders off, ignores me....

Took some pics of a Mk3 tho

11949370_1035950869751160_7036344221341411220878_1035951196417794_3855469010902511902428_1035951836417730_6963299480746510422411_1035951376417776_53403128911165

That is lovely.

Can you stand on the brake and load up a DSG like you can on a slushbox?...

Yes, but not for long.  The 1st gear clutch plates are partially engaged whilst the foot-brake is applied, & fully engage when the brakes are released

The big no-no is to leave it in D with the hand brake on, save that for hill-starts.

Slush-boxes have been known to explode when the transmission fluid vaporizes in your loading example.

Really?

Think I need to do some research! 

AFAIK  'tis true, when only the footbrake is being used the clutch is in "creep" mode, allowing the car to emulate the "creep" in a slush-box when parking / shunting, but when the handbrake (only)

is in use, the clutch is in "it's time to go" mode so the car is straining against the clutch, trying to move off.

Easy to prove, car in D with footbrake on listen to engine note & observe rev-counter, apply handbrake, release footbrake & you should notice / feel the car trying to move.

Reading the "wonderful" manual will give some "guidance" too. 

DC

I haven't driven a CVT since I took a Daf 44 around the block during the sixties!

Could I ask what it is about the modern-day CVT/Multitronic that you find no fun to drive?  Thanks.

I have a CVT on my Subaru. I've also driven DSGs. I think its wonderful. Its perfectly smooth and very quick at adapting to power needs. And it doesn't rev itself to bits (but I have a fairly decent engine behind it - 240HP). You can't fool it since it slides up and down fast and doesn't need time to think. The different drive modes are genuinely different too. In Eco and Sport mode it acts as a CVT, just with different throttle response and ratio selection. In Sports Sharp mode, it emulates an 8 speed and I have flappy paddles to play with too. If you knock it into manual you get 6 gears in the other modes. The best of both worlds. The economy figures for the CVTs are also better than for the manuals as it is cleverer than you :)

• Like 1