New cambelt for 110

K100RS

My wife's Yeti is now coming up to 59,000 miles on the clock and having changed the synthetic oil, filter, air filter plus checked out the original brake pads still in good condition thought about the cambelt?

What would be the recommended practical mileage to replacing the cambelt on her front wheel drive 110 Yeti.

Any idea on the price charged by garages as to sending it in or might have a go at  replacing it myself and know the job has been carefully done. Presume the other drive belts and tensioner would have to be changed at the same time. Still very happy with the Yeti returning some 52 -54 mpg on a full tank of diesel. Drops 10 mpg with bikes on the roof rack. No pop up warnings on the cat or anything else so far. Wife would not change it for anything else unless it was for a new one.

FlyingBrick

There has been much debate on this forum about the time/mileage that the cam belt should be changed.  On the day that my Yeti was 4 years old, I received a phone call from my local Skoda garage advising that a belt change was due.  At that time, my Yeti had a mere 23,000 miles on the clock and I decided I would delay the change until the 5 year point.  I had it changed in March 2015 - the car was 5 years old and had run 44 miles short of 30,000.  The cost of the  belt & water pump was about £450 - under the Skoda fixed price offer.

I kept the old belt - a non-technical, visual inspection revealed no signs of wear!  I framed it and hung it on my garage wall.  It still brings tears to my eyes..........

Current VAG advice is to change the belt at 5 years if the car was built after 2010; there is NO mileage stated.

Mine was done at 5 years and roughly 90k miles. 

The advice to change the water pump at the same time is good BUT when I had mine done earlier this year they were on back-order form VAG, therefore I didn't get my pump replaced,

I was quoted a cheaper price to have the belt changed at a dealers than at the local independent garage!

Mine was in storage for 25 months prior to being registered so that will be interesting with fixed price servicing (approx £200) for 36 months...........hmmm.

If you know exactly what the special tool does you can usually find a one off substitute.

They're 'special' because they save time with repetitive use.

Wife's 110 Yeti was purchased in May 2011 and mainly driven to work over a 25 & 50 mile journey each way so there are not to many short runs as in a delivery driver stop and start.

Will hit the manual and see how easy it is to just inspect the belts if at all possible.

Personally I would have thought that around 80 - 100 thousand miles should be the order of the day with modern cam belts before the valves go through the pistons?

Considering how long cam belt driven engines have been going  you would think the manufactures could give a pretty accurate figure of how many miles they should last without any damage taking place.

Just getting feedback from the garages would give them a good idea of the condition of the belt. 

Will have to get a good look at the job involved and decide if it is worth making some tools up to change the belt chaps. Its just a case of catching out so many garages over the years with company cars and charging for items which were not changed that puts me off. That includes Ford, Vauxhall, Fiat and Skoda dealers.  Have put up with no oil filter change (scribed a small X on the filter) spark plugs not replaced and charged for front disks not changed on a Ford so don't want a damaged engine. 

FlyingBrick

• Like 1

It would be very difficult to do yourself as special VAG tools are required....

Our cambelt is up for a change.  As you are in our neck of the woods, any recommendations where to have this done?  I didi get a quote from Bosch/Autotech specailising (so they say) in Audi/VAG; the quote was about 12% cheaper than Skoda franchise.

this must be a bitch of a job to do!!!!! £400 or there abouts is a lot of Wonga to change a belt!!!!!

Michael.

When I asked my local independent garage to do it he refused and when pushed quoted a stupidly high price. In his words, "It's a beggar to do and takes too long!" 

Hi looby and Llanigraham

Have replaced cam belts on Fiat petrol cars before at home and agree with looby the video of the job to tackle on the diesel engine is a real awkward nasty job. Not a problem with the engine out but of course Skoda don't take the engine out to replace the cam belt and tensioner?

There used to be a old trick with some engines that you took the mounting bolts off so that the engine could be moved slightly further away from the wing to get at the belt. Will have to take a very close look at the silly clearances for work to take place now there is no room to get around modern engines. Otherwise I will have to take a chance with the local Skoda dealer hoping if he does the job often then he should be more used to working on a Yeti engine rather than my local garage that might only do one in a year.

Dam good video of what is involved in the belt change looby thanks for that. Liked to see him do the same job with the engine in place?

Llanigraham will also knock on a few doors around Norwich area to see what kind of response I get for doing the work for me.

FlyingBrick

• 1 month later...

I have asked Skoda UK for definitive information on cambelt replacement for the 110bhp tdi engine and have an email from them stating 5 years or 140,000 miles whichever comes first.

I quoted them my VIN, and would advise others to do so, in case of variation depending on model year etc.

I have asked Skoda UK for definitive information on cambelt replacement for the 110bhp tdi engine and have an email from them stating 5 years or 140,000 miles whichever comes first.

I quoted them my VIN, and would advise others to do so, in case of variation depending on model year etc.

I'm guessing/hoping that 2years in storage prior to sale won't be included in the 5 years (if mine's time based also).

On the other hand, with fixed price servicing for MY first three years, could be a win........not likely, I suspect.