VRS weight

coskev

Is that with you in the drivers seat too?

A full tank of fuel based on a 50L tank will weigh 35-40KG roughly. 

Not the lightest for a hatchback but I suppose it isn't going to be with a heavy derv lump up front.

You could look at stripping some sound deadening out, taking out the spare wheel and a few other things to reduce the weight but I'd be surprised if you'd free up more than 30KG doing that.

The air con system weighs a fair bit so could look at ditching that if you really want to shed some timber! - Relocating the battery into the boot will also improve the weight distribution. Depends how serious you'd want to go with things like that, as always there's a compromise and it's usually the ride and comfort that suffer! 

Edited by mattbvRS

They are quite heavy for a small hatch back the vRS but they are built like tanks.

I remember a mate of mine running his tuned 120d down at pod, the mad sod ripped out all his interior and put it in his tent lol. It fair improved his time too, think by .5/.6 of a second or something which in terms of 1/4 mile is huge considering it was a 'free' modification. He didn't have fun rushing to put it back in when they were trying to kick everyone out though and his dash was lit up like a Christmas tree afterwards haha. 

Parkers list it as weighing 1315 Kg standard, so not far off, thought these had a 45 litre tank, mine does.

Would the weight released by VAG be for a fully specced up VRS(electric sunroof/side airbags/headlamp wash/leather etc) or a standard spec VRS?

Would the weight released by VAG be for a fully specced up VRS(electric sunroof/side airbags/headlamp wash/leather etc) or a standard spec VRS?

Nearly all OEM's certify their 'base spec' cars, in order to get them into the test weight category calculated in the early stages of the design. A certain conformity of production allowance (a % of the total weight) is allowed to be used, so very difficult to ascertain the car's 'real' weight. So your 1300kg would be 1263kg less the full tank, so lighter than book is impressive..........although i am unsure on the accuracy of scrapyard weigh bridges!

• Like 3

Nearly all OEM's certify their 'base spec' cars, in order to get them into the test weight category calculated in the early stages of the design. A certain conformity of production allowance (a % of the total weight) is allowed to be used, so very difficult to ascertain the car's 'real' weight. So your 1300kg would be 1263kg less the full tank, so lighter than book is impressive..........although i am unsure on the accuracy of scrapyard weigh bridges!

I think they are pretty accurate,as my m8 stood on them and it added 80kg which is couple kg light of his weight on scales at home.

So the 1315kg mentioned above is with tank empty?

I think they are pretty accurate,as my m8 stood on them and it added 80kg which is couple kg light of his weight on scales at home.

So the 1315kg mentioned above is with tank empty?

sorry i might of written that slightly wrong! (few cans on Stella) - it is just interesting to see the weight less fluids, but the OEM will usually list base curb mass which is standard base spec car with no options and full fluids...........

sorry i might of written that slightly wrong! (few cans on Stella) - it is just interesting to see the weight less fluids, but the OEM will usually list base curb mass which is standard base spec car with no options and full fluids...........

Mines only base spec, so 15kg lighter is prob about correct ;)

As my A1 Sport seats are a fair bit lighter than the standard VRS seats,TD alloys are pretty light, so are my Tarox 6 pots :)

Could well be, just need to find out what the 1315kg that Skoda have listed consists of, as yours being under that is slightly odd. Skoda have recently had a habit of using 4-5% CoP e.g. listing 1200kg in the brochure, but when weighed and options walked off it is, say 1260kg. Lies lies and more lies! the only people who seem to get their weights spot on are BMW..........................................

***in Skoda's latest owners manuals they are saying that the weight listed is 90% fuel and 75kg driver. So your 1300kg would actually be: 1300-4+75=1371kg. Therefore Skoda would be using just over 4% CoP on that 1315kg listed. But that is with your slight reduction in weight with the mods.....

• Like 1

***in Skoda's latest owners manuals they are saying that the weight listed is 90% fuel and 75kg driver. So your 1300kg would actually be: 1300-4+75=1371kg. Therefore Skoda would be using just over 4% CoP on that 1315kg listed. But that is with your slight reduction in weight with the mods.....

Ah right cheers :)

Right, corner weights, bearing in mind I have coilovers which I have just set the spring seats at the same distance from the hub on the front, no spare wheel, half a tank of fuel, battery in nsr corner etc

NSF 343KG    OSF 393KG

NSR 225.5KG OSR 191.5

TOTAL 1153KG

also have a 5 speed box which is lighter than the 6 speed by quite a bit

That was my rally car, it's the trim and seats that add up the weight when you think my car has no metal removed to lighten it, wind up windows on front fixed glass in rear no door cards etc.

rollcage and the spreader plates etc add quite a bit of weight along with 20kg of sump guard and the fabricating required to fit the bucket seats (which are steel framed so not lightweight).

front suspension is pretty heavy compared to std stuff too.

• Like 1

Right, corner weights, bearing in mind I have coilovers which I have just set the spring seats at the same distance from the hub on the front, no spare wheel, half a tank of fuel, battery in nsr corner etc

NSF 343KG    OSF 393KG

NSR 225.5KG OSR 191.5

TOTAL 1153KG

also have a 5 speed box which is lighter than the 6 speed by quite a bit

That was my rally car, it's the trim and seats that add up the weight when you think my car has no metal removed to lighten it, wind up windows on front fixed glass in rear no door cards etc.

rollcage and the spreader plates etc add quite a bit of weight along with 20kg of sump guard and the fabricating required to fit the bucket seats (which are steel framed so not lightweight).

front suspension is pretty heavy compared to std stuff too.

Impressive weight saving gone on there! I wish I could go on a big diet on mien but its a daily :( But ultimately the distribution is really poor - its around 64% to the front, even with the  battery in the boot.............

I sat it on the scales at the rolling road Kev, believe they were decent tho as they run a touring car etc..

Ah right, fancy getting my kit car done that's what I was after ;)

Joking apart they are heavy cars, back in the day a 1986 Ford Sierra Cosworth 3dr was only 1200kg!!

Price you pay for having all the safety equipment, and strengthening on even small hatchbacks.

I think anyone who could get the Fabia vRS down to a 1000kg wouldn't have much of a car left LOL