ABS Fault After Cam Belt Changed

Hi all,

Yesterday I got my car back from having a cam belt and water pump have just done 150mile since i got the car back.

Went out for a little blast in it today got home all was fine, then had to go pick the kids as soon as i started the car the ABS light & traction control light came on. Now every-time I start it the ABS light is on but traction isn't, if i drive straight away the ABS light will go out and traction control is working then a couple of mile later both lights will come back on again

Could the garage of done anything as I have never had this fault before, didn't know if there was any ABS wires or anything need the cam belt covers they could of damaged. I know its a long shot but if not looks like another bill for me

Any help would be great

Thanks

Not easily.  We had a customer in recently whose ABS light had come on and he mentioned that we had changed the front brake discs and pads recently.  We booked the car in and found a fuse missing from the fusebox, he then mentioned that he'd been removing fuses in an attempt to get his windows working.

You need to get it read for codes, but you could try checking the green 30 amp fuses on top of the battery.

Ha, I had exactly the same problem!

New cambelt and waterpump = ABS light on the next day.

Closer investigation revealed that the O/S front sensor was dead. When I looked at it, there was evidence of coolant all over the O/S wishbone and hub,and generally in every nook and cranny on the O/S of the motor, wheelarch liner etc. The sensor plug was also covered, there was coolant all over it and the socket. Pulling the plug off the sensor, I found coolant inside the socket too.

Ok, that means that the rubber gaitor on the plug wasn't in the best condition, and it could be argued that I would have suffered the failure during the next decent rainstorm...either way it killed the sensor, so I had to fit a new one which cured the fault.

My best guess is that the maechanic didn't drain the coolant too well from the drain plug, and when he started pulling hoses and the waterpump, a shed load of coolant just went everywhere. Trouble is the stuff doesn't evaporate and dry out quickly, so once it was inside the plug it was there to stay.

Worth having a look!

• Like 2

Ha, I had exactly the same problem!

New cambelt and waterpump = ABS light on the next day.

Closer investigation revealed that the O/S front sensor was dead. When I looked at it, there was evidence of coolant all over the O/S wishbone and hub,and generally in every nook and cranny on the O/S of the motor, wheelarch liner etc. The sensor plug was also covered, there was coolant all over it and the socket. Pulling the plug off the sensor, I found coolant inside the socket too.

Ok, that means that the rubber gaitor on the plug wasn't in the best condition, and it could be argued that I would have suffered the failure during the next decent rainstorm...either way it killed the sensor, so I had to fit a new one which cured the fault.

My best guess is that the maechanic didn't drain the coolant too well from the drain plug, and when he started pulling hoses and the waterpump, a shed load of coolant just went everywhere. Trouble is the stuff doesn't evaporate and dry out quickly, so once it was inside the plug it was there to stay.

Worth having a look!

Many Thanks,

Going to take it back to the garage that did it, maybe they will say it was down to them, 

Was going to have a look at it today but rain stopped that 

Can is booked into them on Friday, said they did nothing to effect it "as I knew they would" but they are doing be a free diagnostics on the abs. At least this will tell me what the fault is an I will fix it myself.

He said as above the abs sensor is water proof which I agree it is but if its subject to a lot of water that's a different matter in my eyes

• Like 1

Can is booked into them on Friday, said they did nothing to effect it "as I knew they would" but they are doing be a free diagnostics on the abs. At least this will tell me what the fault is an I will fix it myself.

He said as above the abs sensor is water proof which I agree it is but if its subject to a lot of water that's a different matter in my eyes

How did you get on mate?