Hi I have a problem with my skoda fabia 1.4mpi. It was turning over and not starting we looked at various things that it could possibly be. The oil sensor had gone so that got changed plus spark plugs. It was getting fuel and spark, thinking the most likely cause was the head gasket we changed that. But it still won't start...it would try to but sounded like it was trying to go backwards it would then just cut out. Can anyone help? I really need to get it back on the road!

Not familiar with the 1.4 MPI but is it possible the timing has jumped - can you check the cam timing ?  Or - if it would start but then cut out, is this the immobiliser in action - did you get the graphic on the dash - you really need to get hold of VCDS/VAG-COM or similar to check for error codes. Perhaps a local member could help you out if we knew where you live.

You really have gone off on a "throw random parts at it" odyssey here".

If you have fuel and sparks, the most likely sources of refusal to run are:-

1. As suggested, immobiliser.
  2. Cam or fuel timing wildly out. You've changed the head gasket, so either you've reset the cam timing (OHC engine) or it's chain timing which never slips that much (cam in block OHV). I'd also expect to check the fuel timing as part of the rebuild.
  3. Low battery, which is somehow allowing the engine to spin, but not supplying sufficient volts for the EMS. So check you have 11 to 12v across the battery terminals.
  4. EMS or throttle body failure. VCDS time!