Yeti Amundsen Sat Nav

jonjono1

I have just bought a 3 year old Yeti with built in Sat Nav.

I live in France so and the instructions are all in French and am a bit confused on the following issues.

Every time I type in an address I have to go through the process of selecting the  country first, then when I finally y get to the city bit I put in the first few digits and the I get a few 'logical' options.

Well, so many towns with decent sized population are just not there. For instance,  if I want to find Riberac I type in Rib then I run out of letters, all the relevant ones are greyed out and the screen  defaults to only 3 towns. (Throughout France?)  I'm not able to proceed any further.

The other point is how do I update the system  With my Tom Tom I simply go on line and do it that way.  Do I have to send of te SD card and get a new one.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

Love my Tom Tom and don't want anything built-in.

Have already entered our destinations for our hire car use which we can pack and carry easily.

I live in France so and the instructions are all in French and am a bit confused on the following issues.

Every time I type in an address I have to go through the process of selecting the  country first, then when I finally y get to the city bit I put in the first few digits and the I get a few 'logical' options.

Well, so many towns with decent sized population are just not there. For instance,  if I want to find Riberac I type in Rib then I run out of letters, all the relevant ones are greyed out and the screen  defaults to only 3 towns. (Throughout France?)  I'm not able to proceed any further.

The other point is how do I update the system  With my Tom Tom I simply go on line and do it that way.  Do I have to send of te SD card and get a new one.

Any help on this would be appreciated.

Thanks. 

This link will download the 2012 Amundsen operation manual Click Here

• Like 1

I too live in France and have Amundsen satnav. I haven't encountered the problem you mention(Rib not bringing up Riberac) but I have discovered that it is very fussy about accents (above the letter e for example), dashes, different spellings of Saint etc. One option is to enter the 5 digit postcode of the town you want and it will bring up all towns and communes within that postcode. Hope this helps!

Two things to add to the above. Firstly, it is possible to change the language by going to Setup. Secondly, using your own example of Ribérac, it has an acute accent over the é. To select the é, hold your finger on the e and the various accent options will appear. This will be why your system doesn't recognise Riberac. Voila!

• Like 1

My uk supplied car only seems to work using the French postcode, ie entering a simple name like Tregunc does not work, postcode does though, necessitates knowing postcode though not always possible!

My uk supplied car only seems to work using the French postcode, ie entering a simple name like Tregunc does not work,

Have you tried entering the town as Trégunc?

Mine accepts that and even prompts with a ^ above the letter. just hold key and select what's wanted.

Edited by Urrell

Two things to add to the above. Firstly, it is possible to change the language by going to Setup. Secondly, using your own example of Ribérac, it has an acute accent over the é. To select the é, hold your finger on the e and the various accent options will appear. This will be why your system doesn't recognise Riberac. Voila!

But why didn't Riberac come up as an option when just typing the first three letters as there is no accent etc. involved?

Many thanks nonedeplume. Brilliant. Works a treat. Never though (and did,not know how) to add accents.

The manual is very poor in a number of respects e.g. no mention of how to enter postcodes.

I do like the sat nav though. Better than my previous A6 and far more advanced than that in my TT! :D

But why didn't Riberac come up as an option when just typing the first three letters as there is no accent etc. involved?

It does have the accent above the e and it hints at that with the ^ above the e when entering Ribérac, chose that é and it comes up in the listing.

I know Riberac has an accent, what I was getting at, as per an earlier posting, is why Riberac didn't show up in the list of suggested place names when Rib was entered, i.e. didn't get as far as entering the e with accent or not. 

I guess that it only shows alternatives that don't have accents etc. and that you have to enter enough letters (and know there is an accent!) before it shows suggestions with them in?

Edited by VAGCF

VAGCF - the reason is quite simple. 'Rib' on its own would generate a huge list of places which would be impractical to scan through on a satnav device. 'Ribé' narrows the field down considerably and the satnav is configured to not display a shortlist of places until it has been narrowed down to a manageable number.

Nonedeplume, I live in 24600

another annoying thing with this sat nav is POI

tomTom is brilliant where it displays a list of classifications i.e hospitals, parks, restaurants, churches, schools etc.

With the Amundsen you have to type in a key word.

Well, is not airport a key word for airport?

in Bordeaux yesterday had to find the airport, typed in airport, no mention of Merignac, wanted to send me to a tiny airfield 35 Km away!

Libourne, type in hospital, no mention of the huge hospital in Libourne!

Also, loads of addresses can't be found even if I put in the accents.

Getting more and more frustrated with this useless piece of equipment!

French addresses can be a frustration on Amundsen. 'Rue de ..........' For example, often you need to ignore the 'Rue de' and put in the next word, complete with accents of course! Similarly I once sought a road in Bordeaux (or so I thought) to find that Amundsen had it listed in Mérignac.

It's not as good as TomTom but it's better than some others.

VAGCF - the reason is quite simple. 'Rib' on its own would generate a huge list of places which would be impractical to scan through on a satnav device. 'Ribé' narrows the field down considerably and the satnav is configured to not display a shortlist of places until it has been narrowed down to a manageable number.

Thanks, that makes sense.

But in my defence it was your post #4 that set me off down that route! :D

How do I update this sat nav!

The manual say's 'set up/systems/remove sd card. I don'have the option to remove sd card on mine.

if I manage to take it out, do I update in on my computer or apply for a new one?

Have you tried entering the town as Trégunc?
Mine accepts that and even prompts with a ^ above the letter. just hold key and select what's wanted.

Sorry about delayed response Urrell  -- tried it, ca marche! :thumbup:  Didn't know that!

I'm a happy bunny now, thanks

• Like 1

there was a thread about this back in may, my search came up with cd or sd card  upgrade, using the skoda site there are links to update info but they seem to be for later models, the only prob with disks or sd's is they are locked to the unit so buying used stuff will not work on machines other than the original as used for the first time!

Thanks for the replies re removal of the SD card. Quite bizarre that the manual and everything else I read says 'remove the SD card' but no ones knows how to do it. I even spoke to the chap at Skoda Bordeaux and he doesn't know. Perhaps the slot is for show anyway.

Il take Ryeman' advice and buy another tomTom!