Snow Chains and 225/50/17 tyres

Ryeman

I replied to a comment you made about low profile tyres and rocky tracks. From my experience your comment is inaccurate. Funnily enough we get flint like rocks here in the UK and in Europe, so that is not an Australian "thing".

Funny, but I could have sworn I have seem Australian rallies shown on the TV, and on tracks very similar to the ones we use here in the UK! 

Our rallies are generally on forrest gravel fire access tracks.

Staking is a real issue on our 4WD tracks for which Yeti is not set up for with the odd exception such as Craig's Hut on Mt Buller.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all,

sorry to resurrect an old "ish" post (which, from reading, looked rather "heated"!!), but I'm shortly going to be buying some winter tires for the yeti (4x4 170cd 2015) and want to make sure I'm making an informed decision!

We will be driving through Germany and staying in Austria for 4 weeks this winter, winter tires are mandatory of course, whilst chains are manadatory in some areas (ski areas etc). Am I right in saying that to comply with these rules I will have to change wheel size from the standard 225 50 17's to either a narrower (205 50 17) or some sort of 16 inch offering?

If so, do people have an opinion on the best size and tire combo?

Sorry if this has already been asked...

Cheers

Matthew

It was an Australian 'managed' ski fields issue which would not accept any sort of winter tyre as an alternative to 'diamond' pattern chains which may be required to be fitted but couldn't because of the lack of clearance between the front strut and the tyre.

Europe has no such chain requirement, but it's something you might keep in mind.

Edited by Ryeman

Hi all,

sorry to resurrect an old "ish" post (which, from reading, looked rather "heated"!!), but I'm shortly going to be buying some winter tires for the yeti (4x4 170cd 2015) and want to make sure I'm making an informed decision!

We will be driving through Germany and staying in Austria for 4 weeks this winter, winter tires are mandatory of course, whilst chains are manadatory in some areas (ski areas etc). Am I right in saying that to comply with these rules I will have to change wheel size from the standard 225 50 17's to either a narrower (205 50 17) or some sort of 16 inch offering?

If so, do people have an opinion on the best size and tire combo?

Sorry if this has already been asked...

Cheers

Matthew

No, you don't not need to buy a smaller size winter tyre, you can use the standard 225/50r17.

Thanks for the reply. So, I can purchased winter's on the standard size (225/50/r17) and according to the Skoda manual, just buy (and fit if needed) snow chains to the rears?

But why would you want to put snowchains on a 4x4 with winter tyres?

Thanks for the reply. So, I can purchased winter's on the standard size (225/50/r17) and according to the Skoda manual, just buy (and fit if needed) snow chains to the rears?

You could, but why would you fit any snow chains?

My brother-in-law has lived in Switzerland for over 10 years now and has never bought a set of chains. Just fits his winter tyres when his Canton says they have to be done and drives up to the ski slopes.

But that is his situation and how he rolls.  He must of got away with it.

http://rac.co.uk/travel/driving-abroad/driving-abroad-in-winter

I bet living in Switzerland he never puts the refuse bin out earlier than allowed on leaves it out longer than allowed to.

Note the words "should be carried and used as dictated by local signs"

In his Canton, around Zug, there are few tracks that they are required, and most of those are up high in the upper summer pastures and not where most people will want to go, other than up the chair lifts. Different Cantons may set different requirements.

And I'm not sure why you had to make the last sentence!

• Switzerland

Winter tyres – RECOMMENDED but not compulsory

*Note: However vehicles not equipped to travel through snow and ice and which impede traffic flow are liable to a fine.

Snow chains - REQUIRED (should be carried and used as dictated by local signs or road conditions. Reduced speed limits may apply).

The Bin Sentence.?

Because in Switzerland they do take things seriously, and when they suggest something, you find they mean pay attention and do as you are told, and fines when imposed are so that you remember to act sensibly and with respect to the environment and others.

?

Does your brother-in-law  in Switzerland drive a Skoda Yeti without chains or are you going OT again?

I remember driving to Andorra in May about 30 years  ago in a ford Orion "equpment Obligatoire" said the roadside signs and I assured my then mother in law that I had yellow headlamps and proceeded to drive comfortably through 2" of snow... If winter tyres won't do don't go there!

Oh dear, I think I've kicked off an argument!

Apologies, I was under the impression (feel free to correct if I'm wrong) that legally you had to carry snow chains in the mountainous regions of Germany / Austria / Switzerland?

Personally, I would not be happy running snow chains on just the rear wheels. So I bought 205/55R16 winter tyres on 16” steel wheels for my Yeti, specifically so that I could use snow chains on the front if necessary. (I don't know how the argument would go vs the standard advice to put new tyres on the rear, but I don't fancy becoming an unwitting experimental subject to help resolve the question).

There is an argument that a narrower tyre is better in snow anyway, as it tends to sink in deeper and perhaps find grip on a more solid buried surface. Not 100% sure I completely believe that theory, but AFAIK it is still the case that competition tyres (eg as used for rallying) for snow & ice conditions are noticeably narrower than tyres intended for use on tarmac.

As for whether you'd actually need snow chains on a 4x4 with winter tyres: again, I prefer not to find out that you *do* when I'm faced with drifting snow miles from civilisation in the Scottish Highlands. My chains don't take up a lot of space - they live in a nice plastic case which fits very neatly behind one the rear seats, in the gap between the seat back and the boot floor - so I don't mind carrying them just in case - along with the shovel, folding grip tracks, blankets, torch, wellies, waterproof trousers, spare non-smart mobile phone etc that also form part of my winter emergency kit.

There is an argument that a narrower tyre is better in snow anyway, as it tends to sink in deeper and perhaps find grip on a more solid buried surface. Not 100% sure I completely believe that theory, but AFAIK it is still the case that competition tyres (eg as used for rallying) for snow & ice conditions are noticeably narrower than tyres intended for use on tarmac.

Rally is on plowed surface (or whatever, but hard packed snow or ice) and usually with studded tyres. So, narrowed tyre make better pressure per square area of contact, and thus, better grips hard snow/ice, and tyre studs pierce deeper into it.

On the other hand, if you drive unplowed snow, especially if it is deep, deeper than your ground clearence, then there is no point of trying to sink into snow and reach hard surface below. Deeper your tyres sink, sooner your vehicle bottom start to float on the snow and you stuck because of resistance. Wider the tyres, less sinking and less chance to become stuck with vehicle bottom or front bumper.

So, optimal tyre width really depends on what snow you drive.

Sorry to ask yet further questions, but the options for 16'' wheels are vast and I'm drowning in options here!!

Would anyone be so kind as to check whether either / both of these options (1 steel wheel, 1 alloy) are permissible / would work on my Yeti (170cd 4x4), I've selected the same tyre for comparison (the alloy's come in at £95 or so more than the steel wheels):

Steel Option:http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.pl?bestellnummer=9257--D-117065&cart_id=47403273.110.6737&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi&csuchen=1&Gmarke=Nokian&Gdub=1&Ggroesse=205/55

Alloy Option:http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/komplettrad.pl?cart_id=37685146.110.32088&Cookie=&CGISESSID=5e22c942cecfbd20ed444d5633c33bf3&language=EN&dsco=110&typ=winter&Session_Detail=Nokian_WR-A3_205_55_16_D-117065&Change=Detail&BestellNr=TTDP8SA40&BrandCode=SKODA&TypeCode=&ModelCode=�

Thanks for you help, sorry for all the questions!!

Sorry to ask yet further questions, but the options for 16'' wheels are vast and I'm drowning in options here!!

Would anyone be so kind as to check whether either / both of these options (1 steel wheel, 1 alloy) are permissible / would work on my Yeti (170cd 4x4), I've selected the same tyre for comparison (the alloy's come in at £95 or so more than the steel wheels):

Steel Option:http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/skw.pl?bestellnummer=9257--D-117065&cart_id=47403273.110.6737&dsco=110&sowigan=Wi&csuchen=1&Gmarke=Nokian&Gdub=1&Ggroesse=205/55

Alloy Option:http://www.mytyres.co.uk/cgi-bin/komplettrad.pl?cart_id=37685146.110.32088&Cookie=&CGISESSID=5e22c942cecfbd20ed444d5633c33bf3&language=EN&dsco=110&typ=winter&Session_Detail=Nokian_WR-A3_205_55_16_D-117065&Change=Detail&BestellNr=TTDP8SA40&BrandCode=SKODA&TypeCode=&ModelCode=�

Thanks for you help, sorry for all the questions!!

Neither of your links show the rim dimensions, so it's hard to give advice on what you are trying to choose from.

Your best idea (IMO) is to buy a set of 2nd hand alloys off a yeti/Octy/Golf/A3/passat, etc  and fit them with suitable tyres

?.........

Your best idea (IMO) is to buy a set of 2nd hand alloys off a yeti/Octy/Golf/A3/passat, etc and fit them with suitable tyres

That's what I'm considering when my originals wear out........is there a good place, that you know of Brad, to get these 16" wheels in Australia?.

I'm also hoping for a slightly more supple ride as a bonus.

Edited by Ryeman

That's what I'm considering when my originals wear out........is there a good place, that you know of Brad, to get these 16" wheels in Australia?.

I'm also hoping for a slightly more supple ride as a bonus.

Ebay, gumtree or forums.

I bought my first set of wheels (17" genuine BBS) off Ebay and had them shipped to Sydney via a series of mates (it took 2 months - E-go couriers would have been a good option)

2nd set (16" Audi rims) off ebay.  Picked up from the other side of Sydney 50km away.

3rd set (17" Audi rims) off Gumtree.  The vendor was 2km from home

4th set (18" Audi rims) off a forum for sale thread.  The vendor was 20km away.

The most I ever paid with decent tyres (near new) was $400

16" rims are really cheap.  You'll get an unmarked set of 4 for <$200.  I think I sold my OEM Octavia 16" for $150 and the 16" Audi rims for $180.  In both cases the tyres had a few thousand km of life remaining.

Something like this:

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/VW-Volkswagen-16-wheels-Golf-Audi-Skoda-alloy-wheels-rims-tyres-16-set-of-4-/221903289985?hash=item33aa777e81

or maybe these (7.5" though)

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/16-Audi-A4-Genuine-Set-of-OEM-Wheels-with-Caps-and-tyres-/111782608728?hash=item1a06c33f58

or these steelies

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/GENUINE-ORIGINAL-MANUFACTURE-VOLKSWAGON-GOLF-JETTA-CADDY-16-INCH-STEEL-WHEEL-X4-/321882303691?hash=item4af1ae2ccb

or these - bargain

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/2008-Volkswagen-Golf-V-Comfortline-Pacific-alloy-wheels-Mugello-16x6-5-5x112-/272005474307?hash=item3f54ca2803

• Like 1

Thanks brad, a lot of choice there.

A single wheel for my, Yeti from a dealer, was quoted as $A750 so I didn't bother with a 16" quote for obvious reasons.