Help needed - Octavia VRS Mk1 will not start!

Hello everybody,

I am in need of some depserate help if at all possible. I have a 2003 Ocy VRS Mk1 in silver, however the other day it would not start for work. I managed to get a lift to work and returned that evening to try to start the car.

The car did manage to fire up, however as I turned the ignition on I could hear a relay clicking quite violently underneathe the dash just beofre she fired up.

The following day the same happened again, where the car is just turning over and not firing and has not ran since. I have VCDS lite, so ran a diagnostic check and the following issue popped up.

Something i shold mention, prior to this happening i have had the ASR light coming on intemittently and during braking the ABS has been cutting in at low breaking speeds........

I know it mentions "ABS" below, however would the engine not start due to a braking issue???

Have checked the usual fuses, ECU plug connectors etc, however I am a little stumped

Can anyone help?

Thanks

John

Address 03: ABS Brakes        Labels: 1C0-907-37x-ABS.lbl

Part No: 1C0 907 379 L

Component: ASR FRONT MK60      0103 

Coding: 0021505

Shop #: WSC 31480

VCID: 321799CBED37

1 Fault Found:

01314 - Engine Control Module 

004 - No Signal/Communication

Certain faults in abs systems can cut a feed to the engine as it would assume no signal as some form of catastrophic failure of the braking system, and as such is unsafe to drive..

What condition are the fuses on top of the battery, and the fuse box itself?, any signs of melting of the box at all?.

The clicking under the dash may be the fuel pump relay searching for a feed to arm.

Hello and many thanks for your assistance. All fuses on top of the battery and fuse box inside the car are ok with no signs of melting or overheating. Based on what you say then , if the ABS pump is goosed the engine may not start?

Thanks

It is probably the abs module under the pump motor not communicating which is causing the fault IF it is the abs.

Have you had the panel below the pedals down to isolate which relay is clicking, as this may be related to your problem.

I would start by checking your earth points are sound under the battery tray (need to remove battery and tray for access) and on the chassis legs. I also think there is an ecu earth under the wiper plastic panels in the plenum that the abs and ecu share so would also be worth a check.

Once you've done that, you are left with checking for lives at the abs pump ecu plug - not easy due to access issues as it is snug around that area.

This is a little bit more info on your code - http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01314

Many thanks for your help, Mich appreciated. I will crack on looking at the earths, relay and the ABS module. I guess it's a case of fault finding ruling certain things out.

I was also thinking of checking the usual things like is it getting fuel, spark etc so that this can be ruled out.

It is so frustrating not knowing what to do! Thanks again