Fuel Tank Capacity?

I've not had my Superb 1.4tsi 2014 for long.

Generally a really good car - very quiet , suprisingly nippy, economical (46+ mpg average thus far , measured tank-tank fill) - Just one minor niggle. When my fuel gauge is at the bottom of the red I can only get 51 litres in it wheras the tank size is stated as 60 litres.

Is this normal for the MK II?

Big John, On mine I generally wait until the fuel light comes on which I think is about 70-80 miles remaining. I know mine does hold about 60 litres as I have put in 56 once.

Edited by Pesmog

I have done 35 miles after the range has quoted zero and still only got 58 litres in. That is why I am confident about going below zero.

Ah that explains it.

Mine still showed 40miles to go when I filled up. Shall we say another 40 + 30(after showing 0) miles = 70 at 46mpg is approx 7 litres on top of the 51 litres I filled up with is a total of 58 litres

On my Superb  I  "0 miles to go really meant 0" so I never let it get much below 40 miles to go.

Edited by bigjohn

From what I understand the tank is a saddle tank too allow space for the propshaft on 4wd models. I find this a pain to get the tank properly full as it does seem to keep air in the tank easily. 

I'll quite frequently "top it up" and can't get any more fuel in but its not quite topped up on the gauge!

I think from memory when the range says 0 there is in the region of about a gallon or slightly less of fuel left in the car.... So unless you let it run to 0 you'll never put much more than around 50 litres in the car when brimming it.

• Like 1

I always fill to brim when gauge is on 1/4, 42Lt. is brimmed. This has been the same on my last 5 Superbs. All 170CR, and DSG. I do not drive for economy.  I fill to brim at Cornish Gateway Ultimate BP, York I fill to brim 50,26mpg. return to Cornish Gateway 53.3mpg.

This is with 3 adults and luggage space packed to roof.

Vehicle not run in yet only just 9000 miles, so I expect mpg to improve.