Oil question : 5-W30 or 5-W40

Hi all,

I've just purchased myself a 2011 Fabia 16V with 1.4 MPI engine.

I used to have an Yaris TS before and used 5-w30 oil made by Royal Purple. now, I need to use another manufacture and I'm asking about the viscosity of it.

I tend to go with 5-W30 oil but there are a lot of people using 5-W40, so the question is - why? and ofcurse, what do you guys recommend?

Thanks,

Mor

Welcome to the forum.

If you are changing the oil every 10,000 miles or sooner then 5w 40 Full Synthetic is fine,  VW 502 00

Use 5w 30 Full Synthetic Long Life Oil if you want, VW 504 00

This might be used with Variable Servicing and longer periods / mileage between Oil & Filter changes.

Thanks for your answer goneoffSKion1,

I think you are mistaking with thinking that 502.00 is only 5-W40, you can see the attached PDF file that will give you a bit wider look on the 502.00 VW recommends.

it seems that VW states that even 0-W40 is indeed 502.00 (that raises a deep question regarding what VW receive from the oil manufactures to keep it in the recommendation list).

BTW according to what I think, lower viscosity will cause less stress on the engine, leading to a better performance and agility.

http://my-gti.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/volkswagen_technical_bulletin17-08-01engine_oils.pdf

• Like 1

I was generalising from what oils you will find on the selves now in 2015.

Use what you feel you want to.

Are you in the UK and wanting the protection for UK Ambient temps?

I doubt very much that using 0w 40 will make much difference to your engines running for performance (agility) or economy.

Asda, Tesco , Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi sell totally acceptable 5w 40 Full Synthetic oil to VW 502 00.

Comma Oils, or pay more if you want.

Your engine really does not need more expensive oil than is readily available.

Maybe using the less expensive oil and changing the Oil and Filter annually or under 10,000 miles will do it just fine.

?

How much are you able to buy Eurol Oil for?

http://eurol.com/en/37-products/669-eurol-super-lite-5w40.html

I can get Eurol oil for about 25$ for 5L - which is fair comparing to Royal Purple that cost me (you are sitting, right?) around 80$ for 5L.

So Eurol is fine? I can get Castrol Edge for 10$ more, is it worth it or it is just too much?

BTW - both 5W-30 and 5W-40 cost the same here - so .. what do you think? :)

Thanks,

Mor

<SNIP>

BTW according to what I think, lower viscosity will cause less stress on the engine, leading to a better performance and agility.

<SNIP>

Agility? What? Roadholding?

Unless you consistently drive VERY short distances where the engine never gets above 50°C I very much doubt your engine is going to suffer significantly either way.

Why don't you just use what the Manufacturer (and George) recommend? Castrol with the appropriate viscosity dependent on your servicing frequency.

As mentioned by others, don't feel obligated to buy certain brands of oil, for example Castrol/Quantum that Skoda recommend. Doesn't mean it's the best oil for the job.

4L can of Castrol edge 5w30 could be had at £27.99 a while a go which is the cheapest I've seen it but still OTT IMO.

I now use Comma X-Flow Type G 5w40, meets the specs of fixed servicing and can be had for less than £14 for 5L if you know where to go...

I would only add to make sure you use a fully synthetic oil. The recommended oil is available as a semi synthetic oil also and I would avoid that as it doesn't stay in spec as long as the fully syn. What viscosity you use is up to you but the 5-40 is my choice as it's the best all-rounder for wherever you are in the UK. 0-30 is near to it's limit on very hot days in summer even in the UK if you check your handbook. So if you drive hard you won't get the best protection.

Edited by Estate Man