horrified-wet carpets !

Many years ago I had a 1998 Passat that suffered with wet front carpets until I found out that this was a design fault with blockages that needed cleaning out (can't remember now exactly where but I think it was around the battery compartment). 3 months ago I bought a 2009 Superb 1.8TSi so imagine my horror last weekend when after some heavy rain I found water trickling down both sides of the transmission tunnel onto the carpets in both front footwells. 

A quick google and I could not believe that this is still a fault with a VAG motor ELEVEN years later. It hasn't stopped raining all week but today some sunshine so I went out and bought a wet and dry vac and got some of the water out and then left the doors open in the sun as best as I could. I am no good with mechanics myself so I will need to get someone to check all the places that are mentioned on these websites as the problem areas. (I also have an electric sunroof ). Just wondering if I took this to Skoda should they not check this out free of charge as it is still a design fault? Just one other thought...last weekend during the heavy rain I was parked on a hill with the bonnet of the car facing up the hill so if there is water sitting in the engine bay somewhere then maybe by being parked like this would cause the water to run down? Up until that point my car has always been parked on the flat and we have had heavy rain plus every weekend Ive washed it with a hose shooting water allover it so maybe it's abuild up and parking on a slope has done it?

if its any help i haven't had the wet carpets but i did notice i had bung missing by the nsf jacking point in the floor which shows straight up to the carpets, i phoned tps & it was £1.00... id rather change it now before the winter sets in. 

If you don't keep the plenum chamber drain-holes clear of debris....the rain that enters can't escape and the water then finds it's way into the car (often through a badly-fitted pollen filter). The plenum chamber is the large space at the base of the windscreen...if you lift the bonnet, you should be able to see drain-holes at either end - these need cleaning regularly, particularly if your car is parked (for example) under trees. I don't think that it's a design fault...more a lack of proper care. (For example, if the drain-holes at the base of the doors become blocked - the doors will fill with water, with resulting problems).  My Skoda dealer includes "inspect and clean plenum chamber" as part of their servicing.

Incidentally, this is not just a VAG issue - I've owned Citroens and Renaults which have specified plenum chamber cleaning as part of servicing.

As above. Small bits of crap from trees (blossom, twigs, leaves...) find their way into the drainage holes. In the UK my daily was parked outside and was open to the elements. I got fed up with having to clear all the drainage holes (especially underneath where all the crud used to collect at the bottom of the drainage tubes).

I bought some fine aluminium mesh from Halfords, cut four small rectangular squares out, sprayed them dark grey to match the plastic trim and then siliconed them in position over the drain holes in front of the windscreen. Worked a treat to keep out much of the crap falling off the trees.

I'm not sure the MKII has the same design as the MKI, does it? The battery isn't in the plenum chamber on the MKII and I don't think it suffers with the same issues as the MKII, inasmuch as the drain holes blocking under the battery support, the plenum willing with water and pouring in through the fresh air inlet. The water could be entering through a poorly sealed windscreen; many cars of all brands suffer this and its been reported on the MKII I think?

I'm not sure the MKII has the same design as the MKI, does it? The battery isn't in the plenum chamber on the MKII and I don't think it suffers with the same issues as the MKII, inasmuch as the drain holes blocking under the battery support, the plenum willing with water and pouring in through the fresh air inlet. The water could be entering through a poorly sealed windscreen; many cars of all brands suffer this and its been reported on the MKII I think?

No, the drain holes are at each end of the scuttle... but if they get blocked then you can bet your life the water will end up inside the car!

Thanks for the replies. If it was a dodgy windscreen then wouldn't I have already seen this as I've washed my car many times using a hose which I'm sure would cause more damage than rainwater?  After drying it out as best as I could on Friday when I went out on Saturday it was fine until again I parked slightly uphill and I then noticed just a trickle of water again running down the carpeted part of the transmission tunnel not far from the pedals.

• Like 1

Thanks for the replies. If it was a dodgy windscreen then wouldn't I have already seen this as I've washed my car many times using a hose which I'm sure would cause more damage than rainwater?  After drying it out as best as I could on Friday when I went out on Saturday it was fine until again I parked slightly uphill and I then noticed just a trickle of water again running down the carpeted part of the transmission tunnel not far from the pedals.

Not necessarily. My wife's Focus only started leaking aged seven and only when there was really heavy rain; not a drop when I washed it. The screen had detached at the bottoms right hand corner.

• 1 month later...

I had a new screen fitted and it started leaking, they came back and fitted another screen. As he says could be the glue hasn't set all the way round

Been there, done that...got that T-Shirt.....

For about 3 months I am fighting with this issue also...with local Skoda dealler... still not solved...tjey are refusing a windshield to take off and re-glue again

Edited by Nickolaidis

(I also have an electric sunroof )

I'd investigate the sunroof drain channels/pipes - common problem with many makes of vehicle - I've seen sunroof drainage issues with lots of cars over the years Zodiac, Astra , Volvo, Tipo, Punto........ On the Volvo it rotted the floor! -

Saying that I've also see many leaks from badly fitted windscreen replacements

Edited by bigjohn