Wheel bearing bother

Hello.

I've already searched and found plenty of threads on wheel bearings, as their failure seems quite common. I had one bearing done (rear driver's side) about a month ago, which sorted the rumbling temporarily. It's a 56 plate PD100.

I've also since changed all four tyres, (which are much quieter than the old ones, incidentally), but now all that has done is make it easier to hear the metallic grumbling.

I've tried wobbling all the wheels at 12 & 6, none have any play. The noise is the same no matter what road surface it is and I appear to be surrounded by it. There is no distinct corner that it's coming from, and it doesn't change with cornering, or if I dip the clutch when driving.

Could anything else be casing a noise similar to a wheel bearing that I've neglected to look at? Also, is is possible that all the remaining unchanged bearings decided to go at pretty much the same time? would that be incredibly bad luck? Or to be expected.

With having a timing belt and the other bearing done not so long ago, it's getting pretty expensive, pretty quickly :sweat:

Any help/advice/experience/tales of woe will be much appreciated.

Edited by inventory-photo

You may possibly have something stuck in your brakes that won't become dislodged. So perhaps take the pads out and give everything a clean and re-grease.

It is very unlikely that all the bearings have gone. I don't think wheel bearings are a massive issue with these cars - they're usually quite robust I'd say...  Although maybe your noise is caused by one in particular. Any change during hard cornering or braking?

Thanks Alex. I've had stuff/stones lodged in the rear brakes before, but the noise was very different.

I can't say I've noticed a difference during hard cornering, I generally tend to take it easy/drive as smoothly as possible. I have to drive a couple of miles today. I may hoon it a little when the engine gets up to temp to see if there's any difference.

The council are resurfacing all the roads around here at the moment, so I suppose something stuck in there may be a possibility. MPG has been down a lot lately too, which may point to this I suppose.

Edited by inventory-photo

After driving today, I'd say it's slightly louder when turning right. My passenger today thought the sound was coming from the driver's side of the car more, so I guess it may be the driver's front bearing, if it is a bearing at all.

I'd describe the noise as a metallic whirring, or even a gentle ringing noise. Like dry metal rolling on dry metal. It's pretty quiet for the first few miles of the journey, but gradually gets louder as the miles tick over, and especially at speeds of 40mph and above.

What your describing sounds like a wheel bearing. I had something similar recently on mine and didn't sound like a wheel bearing to begin with. At first I thought it was tyres, then a had it down as a driveshaft but eventually worked out that it was a bearing.

If I'm honest, I didn't think it was a wheel bearing because it didn't have that typical 'Lancaster bomber' sound to it. Was more of a high-pitched whirring sound and was only noticeable above 45-50mph, it did start to develop and was quite loud at 30mph just before I got it changed. Mine was the front off-side.

In contrast, a colleague who has a vRS sounds like his has a wheel bearing on the way out but his does sound like your typical bearing noise. We think his is a rear bearing.

Thanks. the more I drive on it, the more I'm starting to think bearing too. The sound is more like an undulating version of when a train coasts on it's rails.

I'm just waiting for tomorrow so I can get get in touch with my trusted garage to get it booked in for investigation. I just hope I don't end up replacing most of the car trying to find the fault. 

I suppose I'd best get saving for a replacement before it starts getting expensive. Shame, as I was hoping to run this car for a good few years yet, as it suits me, and my commute perfectly.

The garage commented about my whistley turbo last time it was in, which I thought was normal... but now as stuff starts to go wrong more frequently, I can't help but worry.

• 3 weeks later...