Help! Steering rack.

Hello I hope there is someone there who can help. My hubby is removing the steering rack in a fabia 03 1.9d. He has removed all the bolts it's just the part the sticks up with the rubber bung in it that is now preventing him from removing it. Can anyone help and advice us how to remove this part is it.

Thank you.

It is connected to the steering column,not sure on the fabia but usaully the end of the column is clamped around the steering rack.

Usaully it's a pinch bolt type clamp,but the bolt could be inside the car above the pedals.

What Kev said, behind the brake/clutch pedal is a little black cover that undoes and you can see the steering column and where it connects to the rack, it's a 13mm bolt that has to be fully removed.

Thank you both. He's says that he has removed that 13mm bolt from in the car plus the other four bolts. He says it's moving slightly but there doesn't appear to be much room to remove it. Does he need to remove anything else that will enable him to get it out. ie the anti roll bar or the lower sub frame.

Thank you.

You defo have to drop the subframe, I undone the track rod ends, wishbone ball joint, and anti roll bar, then undone the four bolts for the subframe itself and lowered it down on a jack. Don't be put off by 'dropping the subframe' it's a really straight forward job

Yeah, tends to be easier to mark on the chassis (roughly) where the subframe was aligned up to and drop the whole lot.

Should always go for an alignment check anyway after. :)

Out of interest how much adjustment is on the subframe?

As I had my VRS aligned and they couldn't stop it pulling slightly,or get the steering wheel straight.although tracking is correct.

Out of interest how much adjustment is on the subframe?

As I had my VRS aligned and they couldn't stop it pulling slightly,or get the steering wheel straight.although tracking is correct.

Probably less than 10mm (if I had to have a real stab in the dark estimate)  It's more like you can put it up loose, and see the wobble on it.  It's not significant that's for sure.  I would expect far more adjustment to be from incorrect alignment through the rack/steering arms.