Gearbox Issue?

Hi All

On my way back from Wales today I started getting some issue with the selecting gears, 1st & 2nd. Putting it in to 1st seemed quite knotchy. Going from 3rd to 2nd sometimes I would get a crunch like I had not put my foot fully down on the clutch or had to pull the stick down more to get it in, like it was not meshing correctly.

It's a 2013 Monte with on 22500 miles on the clock. Anything I can look at or are we thinking warranty gearbox?

Thanks

Glenn

How long have you had the car and been driving it?  & what history has it?

Is this the one that does not do very good economy?

Had it a year now. Got it with 15,500 miles on the clock when it was 18 months old. On variable service which I had done when the matrix displayed at the local skoda dealer.

Yes it's the 1 regarding poor mpg but managed to get 46 this weekend so a tab better but still not near 53 but hey ho

• Like 1

Sounds like clutch drag - in other words the clutch is not fully disingaging when you floor the pedal.

Does the pedal feel any different? Is there any lost movement at the pedal before you feel it actually starting to work?

its almost certainly clutch related - release bearing or dry shaft on which it throws? Or maybe the clutch cylinder is leaking/system needs bleeding/low on fluid

Its unlikely to be the grearbox

Hi

Nothing has changed. The clutch feels the same as it has since I bought it. It's only 1st & 2nd, all the other gears seem to be fine which makes me think it the gearbox rather than the clutch

You have convinced yourself it is the gearbox! - However you have all the signs of clutch disengagement problems. Get the hydraulics sorted FIRST as has been suggested to you, and take it from there.

After that I would be looking at a situation where the first motion shaft is partially seized in the flywheel spigot bearing (unlikely)  OR clutch plate not free moving along the splined path of the first motion shaft. Although this means gearbox removal - it does not mean a problem with the gearbox itself.

DONT FORGET - hydraulics check first, and avoid pubtalk diagnosis.