How to tell difference between cheap intercooler and airtec

mpow3r

Hey guys

I was told that the intercooler on my fabia is an airtec one but from pics I have seen online they have Airtec written on the front and the top where as mine doesnt. It could be that it has worn off but is there another way of telling.  I was also comparing their hoses that come with the kit and the one that goes from intercooler to egr delete is a lot smaller on the pics from their website, mine is very big. Im not sure but I may be suffering from heat soak.  On motorways it is usually fine, only sometimes seems bogged down, most of the time goes like stink. In the evenings with more cooler air around it drives like its OD'd on redbull and no sign of heat soak. Other thing is I get residue on the intercooler to egr silicone pipe. I have pics below. 

Can anyone tell me:

1. what are symptoms of heatsoak from a crappy or malfunctioning intercooler

2. Is there any way I can tell if this is a genuine Airtec? or crappy chinese copy

3. Where is the residue from? Pipes are on solid so I dont understand where residue is coming from

20150831_135908_zpsgmuye5pb.jpg

20150831_135848_zpsaeaeay2b.jpg

20150831_135834_zpsieadropz.jpg

Edited by mpow3r

Mine doesn't have airtec written on the top.. Has it on the bottom tho and its stammed outwards and I've never suffered from heat soak

That top boost hose isn't airtec either, Airtec kits only supply everything up to the hose behind the headlight

OK Thanks. The rest of the hoses are red on mine. So if aritec dont supply hose in pic then it could well be airtec and it would also make sense why I haven't seen this big 90 deg one in the pics of their kits.

Where on the bottom is it exactly? On the face or right underneath, like facing the ground? I can see airtec written anywhere on mine?  Im wondering if they have a part number engraved anywhere.

What would he symptoms of intercooler not cooling enough be? If it cant cool fully and you put your foot down does it retard timing so all that ends up happening is the car overfuels and chucks fuel out back in the form of black smoke?

Shorten the pipe and get rid of the kink, air doesn't like being directed round a 90degree bend never-mind a kink.

Ye you're right. That kink is because I pulled the intercoolee hose out a bit as it was right in the 90deg bend of the hose. Also, the pipe that comes from the intercooler doesnt have a knurled or round bit that these aluminium pipes have at both ends. I think i will take it off and shorten it slightly. I tried loosening the clip on the intercooler end and pushing the pipe down a bit but it wont budge so I think its a bumper off job and pull the hose off the intercooler side and pull it all off that way

As above, replace that top hose before you do anything else.

Its a bodge job by the looks.The silicone bend needs to have shorter legs so its not kinked.

The residue could be from oil in the inlet tract breaking the silicone hose down, you can see its discolured too which makes me think its breaking down.

So what could the beads of vapour be from in the pic of the silicone hose?

Oh and the pipe not being beaded going into silicon hose isnt an issue is it?

Edited by mpow3r

Yeah the pipe needs beading on it, you might find once you shorten your pipework and get the bend better it will start to blow the pipe off the unbeaded end.

If you know a local place that does alloy welding get them to run some beads of weld around the pipe about 30mm in from the end ;)

The kink in the silicone pipe could be causing a hot spot due to the restriction, the droplets are coming out through the silicone pipe as its breaking down imo.

That pipe could be causing you your issues your having, as when the engine moves that kink will be even tighter and restrict your airflow even more.

As for it being a Airtec or a cheap cooler I don't think you would ever notice any difference from driving the car, you would need to log temps to compare but I bet even then the difference would be tiny.

No catch can. From what others have said its coming through hose as hose may be breaking down.

I shortened the pipe that comes from intercooler to egr delete but noticed that the pipe was not aluminium, its solid steel, looks to be exhaust piping and neither of the ends are beaded. So after shortening took it for a blast and guess what? Heard a loud bang and the the pipe had popped out of the hose at the bumper. I think the clamp may need to be renewed. I'll get some mikalor clamps.

What angle is the pipe? Looks about 45 deg?

Or is there anywhere I can buy just that specific pipe with the right angle, right leg lengths and with beaded ends?  Its the pipe in the 2nd pic in first post.

Many thanks

I haven't read everything in this thread word for word mate but that beading your seeing coming through the pipe is oil vapour permeating through the silicon.

It just happens because normal silicon isn't oil proof. To reduce it you could pay through the nose for a piece of fluoro lined silicon hose which "should" reduce this as the fluoro silicon is oil resistant. From my experience though, it still doesn't stop this it just prolongs the effects slightly.

You'll probably find if you touch the discoloured section of the hose in comparison to the non discoloured part, it will feel softer. This is just the silicon telling you it doesn't like the oil! Lol

I shouldn't worry too much though I rekon that hose will still last ages before it breaks down to the extent where it splits.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4

I haven't read everything in this thread word for word mate but that beading your seeing coming through the pipe is oil vapour permeating through the silicon.

It just happens because normal silicon isn't oil proof. To reduce it you could pay through the nose for a piece of fluoro lined silicon hose which "should" reduce this as the fluoro silicon is oil resistant. From my experience though, it still doesn't stop this it just prolongs the effects slightly.

You'll probably find if you touch the discoloured section of the hose in comparison to the non discoloured part, it will feel softer. This is just the silicon telling you it doesn't like the oil! Lol

I shouldn't worry too much though I rekon that hose will still last ages before it breaks down to the extent where it splits.

sent from my Galaxy Note 4

OK Thanks, saves me buying another 90deg Elbow.  Do you know where I can buy the right angled aluminium pipe? Or is it just a 45deg pipe?  The leg that goes to the intercooler is shorter than the one that goes to the elbow connected to the egr delete.  Or do you think a Mikalor clip will stop it coming off under high boost? btw, the beading I meant in the post above yours is the actual aluminium/metal pipe having beaded ends (littl shoulder on the pipe at either end)

Defo looks like an airtec, as said above the top pipes are not part of the airtec cooler but the core itself looks just like the airtec ive just fitted.

Thanks for confirmation

Edited by mpow3r