Shake, Rattle n Roll :(

Hi. I'm new to this forum, and I am coming here in desperation as we have an on-going problem with our much love 1.4 TDi top trim level (can't remember what that's technically called) Fabia.

We bought it used just over two years ago with low mileage (previous motability) and have since racked up around 35k miles (I know!).

About three or four months ago we had it serviced and MOT'd - all fine, apart from we mentioned that we had started to hear a 'knock' on steering. So when changing direction, parking etc there would be one 'clunk' as the wheels turned. They said something about headers (so I'm female...) and that they couldn't see anything wrong but to come back if it got worse, because it would need taking apart and looking at.

Yesterday they had it in all day, as not only do we still have the clunk - which seems to have lessened a bit in frequency, we also have an on-going rattle, especially at lower revs, especially when driving over uneven surfaces. In fact, the only time it doesn't happen is at 70 on the motorway - or another constant speed on a good road. It sounds like the bottom of the car is going to shake off.

So yesterday they took it for a drive with Mr, and the guy said suspension, so they spent 7 hours taking the front suspension apart - nothing. All fine. A lot of money later, we still have a very rattly car.

Our options are to send it in again for a longer period of time, they strip it down and identify (hopefully) the fault. Then of course there's parts on top of that cost. But I think that's too much money for nothing definite. The man in the garage muttered steering column - which is £800 for the part alone...

Any ideas anybody? Really don't want to spend money unnecessarily, we love the car, and it's a real workhorse for us, so can't afford to be without it, or for it to fall apart on us.

Welcome to the forum.

You are going to have to go some place trust worth and see if a Qualified Mechanic can give the car a test drive and check on the ramp and see if they can identify the problem.

Maybe someone here can recommend some place.

?

It is a Mk2 Fabia isn't it, not a Mk1?

Engine mount?

Its hard to say for anyone on a forum which hasnt heard it of course... But steering racks going at such low mileage isnt a common problem.

As George says. Probably find a decent small reputable garage that will sort you out at a decent price

Im self employed and if i spend hours diagnosing a fault wrongly, i wouldnt be throwing a big bill at the customer.