Jacking Points

dan4291

Can you guys confirm for me where I can jack up my Monte estate using a trolley jack at the font and back?

Here's what I have at the front. There's a rubber pad to the right of shot that comes off to reveal a hole, presumably to put a TT jacking point. Is there anywhere, apart from the sill point just out of shot, that I can jack up the front?

20150903_185938_zpsjr3vat0n.jpg

Now at the rear I have another rubber pad that comes off to reveal a hole for a TT jacking pad, like the front. I also have the sill point where I'd ideally put axle stands. Can I jack up on the the circular bit next to the rubber pad, or is it just the sill point that I can use?

20150903_190026_zpsh2elsxff.jpg

Hello Dan, the main vehicle jacking points are indicated by the arrows on the sills. You can see those I assume. The actual weight bearing section of the underbody is the small flat metal pads which are just the other (inner) side of the sill lip. Do not of course put any load on the flat sill area directly underneath the sill arrow. It will dent the area. I've not used a trolley jack before on the Fabia or used a wheel free lift device. I've always worked on them with the wheels on the ground or on a garage lift so this question has never arisen for me. Do be ultra careful though. Lots of folks cause massive damage to their cars doing it wrong.  

Edited by Estate Man

If I ever jack with a trolley, I put a block of wood on it then jack at suspension load bearing points. At the front, this is where wishbones attach to the floorpan. At the back, it would be where trailing arms attach to the floorpan. If they are recessed, I would jack where the torsion bar meets the damper.

Maybe not ideal but I'd never jack the sill.

Well as I unfortunately left the Audi TT jacking point protectors on wife's Polo 9N when I chopped it in (bad condition, too much work needing done in my mind to sell for proper money), when she got her 6R1 6C Polo, I went along to my local Audi dealer and ordered in a set of 4 jacking point protectors for not much money and fitted them.

Jacking up some modern cars and using axle stands, yes I've used lumps of wood to make things safe, but when I got my Audi B8 S4 and discovered that there were no jacking points on it that would leave a strong area free for axle stands, I bit the bullet and bought two pairs of Jackpoint Jackstands in from USA using a group buy I found on a Poker forum (internet search found that). If you are serious about doing your own car work and can find the money, these Jackpoint Jackstands tick all the boxes - at a price!

* same applies to the axle stands... Piece of flat wood on the end of the stand and then on the same points.

I made up some shaped/stepped blocks and bolted them on to my old axle stands as it seems that no one sells stands that fit the profile of the sill without doing damage. That idea was used when I had ARB + front spring problems on wife's old 9N Polo back in 2006/7, now I use Jackpoint Jackstands or if I'm being lazy, just two trolley jacks on the Audi Jacking Protectors with some lumps of wood elsewhere if it is Polo or Ibiza I'm working on.

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll just buy some TT jacking points and use them to jack on then put axle stands on the sill points. Do the TT jacking points definitely go in the holes which are covered up by rubber pads that come off (post 1 first picture rubber cover on the far right, 2nd picture rubber pad furthest to the right)?