Advice for an air filter for a monte

ang9444

I've hit 11000 miles and i think it's time to do my first air filter change. Rang the dealer and they said a replacement air filter will cost £17 or £30 including fitting. I could probably do it myself but not sure what to look for on the internet so some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Do not look on the net then, go to the Parts Desk and buy the correct filter or go to a Motor Factor and buy one.

You will need the correct tool to open the Air Filter box.

that is available as well.

http://eurocarparts.com

The Airfilter should not be due to change at 11,000 miles unless they checked it and it is Dirty or wet.

Maybe the Pollen / Cabin filter if the car is 2 years old.

The price of the Filters at a Dealers Service are usually not over expensive, if they are charging the correct price.

The Service Desk Employee does not always know what the Filters are, or when they get changed.

The Technician / Fitter doing the Service should know though.

• Like 1

That makes sense. I was worried for a sec because I was warned once about buying VWs because of special tools being required! Torx is fairly standard these days - always good to invest in a set

• Like 1

VW / Skoda / Seat / Audi already employ special tools, sometimes they are the ones that greet you when you hand over the keys to your vehicle, (or they answer the phone, or call you about work required)

and then you meet them again when you go back to collect the car and pay for work done or not.

Some Technical Training would help, but then that seems not to be in the interest of the Dealerships.

Some bad experiences? In my experience, a lot of dealers are the same. The best dealer I've ever dealt with is my local ford dealer - things done FOC even when not under warranty and fur a car they didn't supply, never tried to blag me on anything, knowledgeable, actually listen to what you say...

And they usually get a bad rep.

Our Skoda dealer, so far, has fallen short of that ford dealership which has surprised me a little.

Never ever had a bad experience, i just ask them to go find someone that knows what they are talking about, 

or i show them how the Computer in front of them on the desk works and how to press the button that has 'print'.

It is amazing the ones that tell you your car is a Diesel when it is a Petrol and does not come as an automatic, 

even when they have the Cars Reg & Service book in front of them & the details on the screen.

If the filter is £17 then he's charging you £13 to fit it,not worth getting your hands dirty if you ask me,did my filter last week and it's easy if you have a small ratchet and torx set but the 2 screws at the back are awkward to get to

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I dunno i read somewhere that it is good to change them every 10,000 miles or so, some people even change them every 5000 miles. If i can remember correctly i think it's a size 10 torx for the air filter box however i couldn't get the metal clamp off that holds the black hose that the air flows through to get inside the air filter box. I will probably buy it from the dealer then and fit it myself if i can get that clamp off.

I dunno i read somewhere that it is good to change them every 10,000 miles or so, some people even change them every 5000 miles. If i can remember correctly i think it's a size 10 torx for the air filter box however i couldn't get the metal clamp off that holds the black hose that the air flows through to get inside the air filter box. I will probably buy it from the dealer then and fit it myself if i can get that clamp off.

I use maul grips to open the pipe clamp makes it a bit easier if that helps

• Like 1

Have you looked into the airbox yet and seen what you present air filter looks like

Clean or dirty?

I couldn't get the metal clamp off so i couldn't get the filter out and have a proper look