Xenon Headlight Beam Aim...

Alan16ac

My Superb won't pass its MOT due to the headight beam aim.

Now obviously they're meant to auto level, but they don't.

With other cars we have with Xenon, you can see the bean go down and then up, every time they come on. But the Superb doesn't.

Where do I begin trying to fix this? New units cost a fortune!

First you need to find out whats wrong, maybe have a scan done. Check the sensor on the passenger front suspension arm. Or at least thats where it is on my octavia. Mine wasnt working and it had broken off and was hanging in mid air...

Might be a fuse, might be a motor failed but of neither are working I doubt that,m it will be something that controls both.

Any errors showing on the BC?

If you have a faulty Headlight Leveling Module (LWR in German, VAGCOM error code 65535), it should warn you first of all when you start the engine, saying something like "lights failure" (at least on Maxidot it does).

If not, I would start by checking, as @whitep recommended, fuses and leveling sensors located in the weel arches, 1 front, 1 back, opposite sides usually. Sometimes can happen that they remain stuck and this situation can be solved easily, by hand...

It does say on start up, "lights failure" on the Maxidot. Now the boot lid is rusted so the number plate lights don't work. Would this bring this light up too?
The Superb is currently sat on the drive. It's not needed, as we have other cars. But I want to keep it alive. The engine is solid, and the best engine I've ever had in a car and I want to keep it running.
Any cheap way of reading the error codes?

If it says "lights failure" on start up, most likely the module is your culprit. I had busted plate lights and no Maxidot warning about it. The other lights warning showed by the Maxidot, as l experienced that too, was "brake Light warning", but that one is spelled different.

Unfortunately there is no other way of reading the errors except hooking up a Vagcom unit. Cheapest would be if you could find someone on this forum close to your location and kind enough to help you with it. Beers provided afterwards, of course... [emoji1]

If it turns out to be the control module, I would go for a sh working unit via Ebay.de or local car chop Shop. I paid for mine 30 Euro and it's working since 3 years without a glitch...

Trimis de pe al meu D5803 folosind Tapatalk

If it says "lights failure" on start up, most likely the module is your culprit. I had busted plate lights and no Maxidot warning about it. The other lights warning showed by the Maxidot, as l experienced that too, was "brake Light warning", but that one is spelled different.

Unfortunately there is no other way of reading the errors except hooking up a Vagcom unit. Cheapest would be if you could find someone on this forum close to your location and kind enough to help you with it. Beers provided afterwards, of course... [emoji1]

If it turns out to be the control module, I would go for a sh working unit via Ebay.de or local car chop Shop. I paid for mine 30 Euro and it's working since 3 years without a glitch...

Is there a part number, or am I best just typing auo levelling module into ebay?

I think my mate has Vagcom, have messaged him anyway. See what he says...

Yes, there is a part number and it would be paramount to look for the right one, as most likely you wouldn't find too many Superb donors, best bet on Ebay.de being VW Passat or Audi A6. 

Most would fit, but I would go for an exact match on what you have written on yours (not only the 4Z7 907 357, which is the VAG OEM part number, but also the H02/SD... and/or the Hella part number).

I would recommend first to scan it with the Vagcom and if you get the error 65535 unhook the module from inside the trunk (left side, underneath the carpet) and look up for the part codes mentioned on it.

Below you have some pictures I made when I replaced mine with the location, the unit itself and the replacement coming from an Audi A6. Hope this helps:

post-105349-0-86987300-1441741204_thumb.jpg

post-105349-0-59305700-1441741207_thumb.jpg

post-105349-0-98028800-1441741366_thumb.jpg

Lights failure also shows if you've started but not completed the "basic settings" for the lights (ie putting them into adjustment position).  But if you haven't meddled with VCDS then that is unlikely to be the issue.

Because you have the warning on startup, just get it scanned.  It will almost certainly give you a huge clue.  I would do it but you are miles away!

interestingly, some of the Bilstein B12 kits specifically state not for cars with Xenon lights; I guess that is because the arm ends up out of range or similar?

Good luck! :)

Quite right, @Jimbof, I think I have read somewhere on the B12 kits not getting well with the factory fitted Xenon lights (Don't recall if it was on briskoda or local VW forum)...

• 2 weeks later...

When I had headlight lights failure warning turned out to be the module screwed onto the bulb that had failed.  I had a couple of spare ones, fitted, no mor eprobs.  Headlight levelling I don't think was affected, just did not glow the bulb.

That is the igniter, failure will result in the same alarm on the BC, but different error code on the Vagcom...

@Alan16ac: Any progress on the matter?