Columbus satnav way off target

snafu

VCDS is a dealer level software emulator tool. It allows you to change various aspects of your car and to read fault codes etc. If you've had a scan done of your car at any point and saved the log of the scan then there'll be information in there which will help. If not, then no good. If you have a friend with VCDS then they can activate the developer menu for you simply.

Was the Columbus factory fitted, or was it retrofitted? Has anyone ever updated the software on the Columbus?

Only just bought the car, original owner has emigrated to Oz so I don't have access to Columbus history, I'm sure the kit was

factory-fitted though...

Can you unscrew the unit just to pull it out a little bit and read the top sticker for us?

Can you unscrew the unit just to pull it out a little bit and read the top sticker for us?

Why?

(and doing that is not that easy on a Yeti!)

As has been said earlier the most common reason for this "fault" is that water has got into the aerial unit on the back of the car. Putting a new one on cures the problem.

I don't think it is necessary a water problem although it may be ,but I had the problem with the faulty antenna when the car was only a couple of weeks old.

Why?

(and doing that is not that easy on a Yeti!)

As has been said earlier the most common reason for this "fault" is that water has got into the aerial unit on the back of the car. Putting a new one on cures the problem.

Because it is not the only reason and because for me it is better to check other causes before spending money on a new antenna.

To Hamill:

If pulling the unit out is difficult for you, try this: Insert an SD with an mp3 song, play it halfway through, then remove the key. Insert the key back. Does the song resumes from when it stopped or does it start from the beginning?

• Like 1

Hi eyegr, sorry for the delay in responding, I've done as you suggested and the song picks up where it left off on removing the key.

What is the significance?? I've tried all the other "quick-fix" suggestions made by members for which I am most grateful, however I

suspect I will have to submit myself to the inflated cost of a main dealer process of elimination exercise after which I'll report back.

• 1 month later...

So there was this low flying Pigeon today that didn't quite raise it's under carriage enough and whacked the roof antenna. Now my Columbus puts me approx. 60m s of my current position. New base?

You might investigate whether the pigeon did in fact knock the car 60m north.  If it was hard enough, the Columbus might not realise that the car wasn't there any more. 

:giggle: Anyone in Bob's Corner ATM?