AE189 could be a Superb engine

yesman

I know Wikipedia can't be taken for gospel but this article does make worrying reading for some of us with 1.6 or 2.0 cr TDi engines, it claims the type EA189 engine that is at the centre of the probe is the one fitted to the Superb CR type engine! And yes I have a 2.0cr 170 TDi

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C5%A0koda_Superb

Also got to add that I am amazed and a bit disappointed that previous topics about this have been taken down, As VAG customers and owners we have a right to know if we have a pending problem with our cars!

• Like 1

Me too... Lol I thought they had been deleted.. makes sense to have all in one place ;) 

Trying to find out if my CFGB engine is based on the EA189 but can't see anything, but I suspect we may be concerned over nothing ... Will need to wait an see, the press like to panic people..

It's EA 189 not AE189 Wiki lists the following as used in the Yeti. As the Yeti shares the Octavia platform I presume that to be the same.

Engine designation

Production

Engine code (family)

1.6 TDI CR GreenLine 77 kW 2010–2015 CAYC (EA189)

1.6 TDI CR 77 kW 2013–2015 CAYC (EA189)

2.0 TDI CR 81 kW 2009–2015 CFHA (EA189)

2.0 TDI CR 81 kW 2009–2015 CFHF (EA189)

2.0 TDI CR 81 kW 2015- (EA288)

2.0 TDI CR 81 kW 2015- (EA288)

2.0 TDI CR 103 kW 2011– CFHC (EA189)

2.0 TDI CR 103 kW 2009– CFHC (EA189)

2.0 TDI CR 103 kW 2010– CFHC (EA189)

2.0 TDI CR 110 kW 2015– (EA288)

2.0 TDI CR 110 kW 2015– (EA288)

2.0 TDI CR 125 kW 2010–2015 CFJA (EA189))

2.0 TDI CR 125 kW 2013–2015 CFJA (EA189)

Should Skoda UK not be writing to all purchasers of new diesels since 2009 informing them of whether their vehicle is fitted with the bent software and what remedial action needs to be done to the vehicle , and what Skoda intend to do about it.

Agree... still love mine... I will buy a Superb 3 in the future

I look at it this way...Skoda if needed, and so far we do not even know if it includes UK cars, will need to find a solution that keeps us, the customer 110% happy... they want to keep you... sell you another car... me included

If you are one that needs sorting and when you collect your car it has less power etc you will not buy another... more bad news for Skoda...

If the truth is known, the software is present but not activated as VW have said... all our cars pass the standard so they will just remove the non used code from UK /EU cars and we carry on as normal

I really believe it is on strict emission countries that it was ever activated.. and Skoda will look after it's customers and there cars...

Think about it... they are having enough bad press which on the whole is speculation and scaremongering. .. without upsetting customers more.. would you, as a business want to loose 1.2 million customers? Who then tell there friends and so on... I suspect not

If the info I have seen on the Internet from alleged Skoda sources is correct it only applies to certain years and engine code types... I suspect based on what ECU is fitted. . If correct my 2014 car (2015my) with a CFGB engine, although the EA189 will be OK. .. I hope....

If mine does go in and I an not happy afterwards they can have the car back... give me the original purchase price from 12 months ago and I pay the difference for a new equivalent Superb 3...

Until then..

I have stopped reading the main thread as it is all speculation and will consider my car is OK until a letter from Skoda or my dealer call to say otherwise; )

And

I love my car... always will and will support Skoda for as long as they keep me and my pride and joy happy..

Sent from my SM-N910F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

According to Wikipedia, which I know isn't the greatest source of information these are the EA189 engine codes

2.0 R4 16v TDI CR 81-176kWEditidentificationMotor type: EA 189 / parts code prefix: 03L, ID codes: CAGA, CAGC, CAHA, CBEA, CBAB, CFFB, CBBB, CBDB, CBDC, CEGA, CFGB, CFCA, CJAA, CLJA

Mine is the CBBB, so a bit apprehensive!

If you go to the main thread a link to a recall checker by Skoda has been posted by someone tonight on page 41 of the thread.  I entered my VIN and it says that I need to contact my dealer "As soon as possible"

If your car is affected - what do you intent to do ?

I bought mine second hand  -  from a dealer -  would I have the same legal protection ?

What are our options ?

Reject the car and get your money back ?

Take a partial refund ?

Residuals ?

Other hidden software ?

Will Skoda contact us ?

Too many questions = infuriated owners !

Chris

Edited by Skoda4x4man

If you go to the main thread a link to a recall checker by Skoda has been posted by someone tonight on page 41 of the thread. I entered my VIN and it says that I need to contact my dealer "As soon as possible"

As Skoda don't seem to have a clue whats going on and VW said only yesterday that they have yet to release the affected VIN numbers I would say your recall might be completely unrelated,

If your car is affected - what do you intent to do ?

I bought mine second hand - from a dealer - would I have the same legal protection ?

What are our options ?

Reject the car and get your money back ?

Take a partial refund ?

Residuals ?

Other hidden software ?

Will Skoda contact us ?

Too many questions = infuriated owners !

Chris

I have exactly the same questions!

I bought mine from a independent car supermarket, the way I see it is they took it off someone believing it to be genuine, that person inturn bought it off Skoda who also believed it to be as advertised! Thus we all have been duped!

A bonus I might have is mine has a full VW/Skoda service record, I know it shouldn't make any difference but you know dealers!

If the car is affected by a potential recall then it's origins should have no affect at all.

My old Octavia was subject to an official VOSA / Skoda recall a few years ago (injectors on the PD170 engine).

Whether the car was bought new or used, from a franchised main dealer, independent or private, in or out of warranty, had a full, partial or no service history or had been modified (lowered, DPF removal etc.) in any way made no difference.

Skoda was forced to undertake the remedial work regardless.

Duped - it was not as sold - emission levels etc

If you bought a Pasta ready meal and it was a curry - although it is still a meal, it isn't what you bought

My main issues are:-  Residuals, change to MPG/BHP performance and a possible Road Tax change.

Chris

Duped - it was not as sold - emission levels etc

If you bought a Pasta ready meal and it was a curry - although it is still a meal, it isn't what you bought

My main issues are:-  Residuals, change to MPG/BHP performance and a possible Road Tax change.

Chris

If it was a pasta meal but had a little extra fat in it compared with what was quoted on the label, but still tasted perfectly nice?​

In what way were you duped into buying your car?

I was Duped into believing the car to be Euro5 and as described! Obviously I wouldn't have touch it otherwise, that was the point of the software! It is a cheat, not only to cheat the emissions test but to also cheat the buyer into believing they were buying a compliant car! Why else would they have put it on the car, they knew if they didn't pass the relevant test it wouldn't be sellable!

So to add to cheat someone is to dupe someone, so yes if my car is affected I do feel duped by VW!

It could be either the car will lose torque or power along with MPG, or it's tax bracket could change drastically!

This isn't what I believed I was buying, if my car is one of affected one I was duped by VW in to believing the car something it clearly wasn't without the cheat software!

Besides I never said I was duped into buying the car! As I have said I was duped into believing the car to being something it wasn't!

Edited by yesman

I was Duped into believing the car to be Euro5 and as described! Obviously I wouldn't have touch it otherwise, that was the point of the software! It is a cheat, not only to cheat the emissions test but to also cheat the buyer into believing they were buying a compliant car! Why else would they have put it on the car, they knew if they didn't pass the relevant test it wouldn't be sellable!

So to add to cheat someone is to dupe someone, so yes if my car is affected I do feel duped by VW!

It could be either the car will lose torque or power along with MPG, or it's tax bracket could change drastically!

This isn't what I believed I was buying, if my car is one of affected one I was duped by VW in to believing the car something it clearly wasn't without the cheat software!

Besides I never said I was duped into buying the car! As I have said I was duped into believing the car to being something it wasn't!

Is there any evidence that your car is not EU5 compliant? The cheat code has only been shown to apply to the US test, not the EU5 one.

Until such a time that it become apparent that there is EU5 specific code to cheat at that particular test then your car is as well described as any other EU5 car that has differing on road and test emissions, which is probably all of them...

Is there any evidence that your car is not EU5 compliant? The cheat code has only been shown to apply to the US test, not the EU5 one.

Until such a time that it become apparent that there is EU5 specific code to cheat at that particular test then your car is as well described as any other EU5 car that has differing on road and test emissions, which is probably all of them...

Thats why I have been careful to say if! VW have admitted that 1.2 million cars are affected in the UK alone, admittedly they don't know which car have the cheat software activated on them but what they haven't said is that it wasn't needed here! If it wasn't needed in the UK you can be sure they would have told us! That alone means that some cars have it turned on but they need to find out which ones!

The way I see it it will either be Greenline cars to get it through cleaner emissions for tax or the more powerful engines that will inevitably be less efficient, again to get them at the right emissions level!

If it was a pasta meal but had a little extra fat in it compared with what was quoted on the label, but still tasted perfectly nice?​

But if I was on a diet and went by the fat content - I would feel duped

Chris

Or the pasta meal now costs more because of the previously undisclosed extra fat (eg higher VED) or must now taste worse to make it comply (eg less power to pass emissions). Any which way, I still feel duped.

Or the pasta meal now costs more because of the previously undisclosed extra fat (eg higher VED) or must now taste worse to make it comply (eg less power to pass emissions). Any which way, I still feel duped.

Perfectly put! I don't like the fact that Skodas good name thats took them years to build has been dragged down like this and I understand people sticking up for them but it doesn't change the facts of what has happened, I personally believe Skoda and even Seat were in the dark about this as much as we are but with VW being the parent company there's not a lot they can do about it now except do as they are told. They can hardly come out and criticise VW in the press can they! That would be suicidal for them!

• Like 1

Perfectly put! I don't like the fact that Skodas good name thats took them years to build has been dragged down like this and I understand people sticking up for them but it doesn't change the facts of what has happened, I personally believe Skoda and even Seat were in the dark about this as much as we are but with VW being the parent company there's not a lot they can do about it now except do as they are told. They can hardly come out and criticise VW in the press can they! That would be suicidal for them!

On the basis that they purchase so many bits from the VW parts bin, I agree that its doubtful VW subsidiaries would've been informed that this "darkpart" (albeit its actually software, right?) was fitted. Nevertheless, it could be fitted, and our car has one of the engines cited, so I'll wait and see what VAG do to fix it.